Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buying Cookware, Advice Needed

manichispanic

I am looking around my house and our pots and pans are just the survivors from previous sets, and I thought Id change that. I wanted to buy something nice, but I have no idea whats good or not. I also decided to just get this for my mom on a whim, since I don't think it would go over so well as her birthday gift. (its hard to find a hallmark that says 'Know Your Role' :doh: )

She wanted a stainless steel set, and I was looking at the one Emiril endorses Link

if anyone has any suggestions on brands, or would like to recommend a set that would be awesome

Thanks!

I don't know much about cookware, but I do have a funny story about it....

Last year my wife and I go to one of those home shows at a local arena. There's this guy there selling cookware - "get your 25 piece set of amazing cookware which is made of the same material they make the space shuttle out of...cleans up easy with a sponge and water...blah, blah, blah".

So I'm feeling generous that day and planning on buying a set for my wife since she's been asking for a new set. So we sit and watch this guys demonstration for about 20 minutes. I'm thinking it's going to be about $500 or so....

...as the guy begins to wind down his presentation he says "if you buy this set from me today, I will throw in as part of the deal a 7-night cruise for two to the Bahamas.

You are going to give me a cruise if I buy pots and pans.... I'm thinking...what the hell do these things cost...that's when he says they are normally $7000 but you can have them today for $5,000 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

...I somewhat accidentally blurted out "Holy ****"...and got up and walked out :D

I never get anything to cook with that has aluminum in it. I've heard that aluminum may be linked to Alzheimers, and there are too many other good options for me to consider chancing it. If you really want stainless steel cookware, get it with copper bottom, not aluminum.

Cast iron cookware is great, though more demanding and time consuming to clean and care for.

The best, IMO, is ceramic-covered cast iron cookware. Le Creuset is the company that's probably the most well known for that kind of cookware, though there are ther good ones also. It's what I use.

zoony's advice may be best.

The copper bottom stuff is the best, it heats evenly and quickly. However, it is VERY tough to clean. After cooking, I have often had to leave pots to soak overnight to attack them in the morning because they simply do not come clean. Even after soaking it's not always easy, though it depends on what you cook and whether or not you burn the contents.

Calphalon non stick is probably the best option for most people. Most of my pans are by them and they last, cook pretty evenly and are probably the best quality you can get without having the pain of trying to clean the copper ones.

My single favorite pan, by far, is my 10-inch cast iron skillet. Once they're seasoned well, cast iron is great for many cooking tasks. They do hold on to heat, though, so they don't work as well for making sauces or other heat-sensitive dishes. Cast iron is really affordable as well. And HEAVY.

First and foremost, I would find out what type of cookware your mother prefers! Some people swear by Cast Iron where others will only use stainless steel. Then, you have the devout fans of nonstick cookware. They all serve a very good purpose, but your job would be to find out which one will serve your mother best (since you are getting them for HER).

Some helpful hints:

How to Season Cast Iron:

Calphalon Nonstick Cookware Use and Care:

Cleaning Stainless Steel and Copper is actually VERY easy! If the food is burnt on or stuck - Allow it to soak for thirty minutes is HOT soapy water. Then, bring the soapy water to a rolling boil for ten minutes. You shouldn't find much resistance after this. If you do, repeat the steps (and I doubt you have to repeat more than once). Also, cleaning the outside is a snap! Just rub tomato sauce or ketchup on the pan... Let it set for an hour or two (sometimes I let it set overnight if I am cleaning all of my pots and pans). Then, wash the tomato based product off of it, and voila! A beautiful shiny pot that looks brand spanking new!

Good luck on your quest to find the perfect cookware for your mother! I am sure she will delighted with whatever you choose!

:helmet:Misty:helmet:

First off the people who have suggested cast iron are dead on. It may not clean up as easily as some of the non stick pans but they are pretty much indistructable and are very versitile. They work great for large cuts of meats and casserole type dishes because they can go from the stovetop to the oven.

If you get the coated non-stick style you MUST also get plastic utensils. Metal utensils will make the coating break down quickly and pretty much destroy the pans.

Archived