Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Graduating soon - Where should I live?

project myu

Okay, well I'm graduating this spring and well.. I've got the choice of living with my mom or dad OR living on my own. Obviously, the biggest pro of living at home would be MONEY. My parents wouldn't charge me rent, even if I insisted. That money goes a long way in terms of savings for a future home.

But the biggest pro of living on my own is INDEPENDENCE. So say, I choose to live on my own. Where should I live? Right now my mom lives in Annandale, and my dad lives in Sterling. Sterling's very, uh.. Boring. Annandale's alright but nothing too exciting.

But I'm having a growing fascination of living in Arlington, possibly in the Rosslyn area. I used to live in Arlington when I was in elementary school, off of Lee Highway in an apartment building that was right across the bridge from Washington DC. I think it's pretty cool how everything was within walking distance.

What do you think.. Worth it? Or not? I've got plenty of time to decide, but knowing is half the battle..

where are you working? Do a budget and see what you can afford. Best advice,

get the military to pay you to go to grad school for dentistry. The Air Force has a good plan, pays all of your school and living expenses and like a thousand a month, plus your an officer while you're in school, so when you get out your pay will be more because of time served. Then you owe them 1 year for every year in school. It's a sweet deal.

If you like it, put in 20 retire at 46, or collect retirement and go into private practice.

First of all, you're very lucky your parents wouldn't charge you rent. That was the first thing out of my mom's mouth when I got home from college...that she would be charging me rent once i started working.

second of all...arlington can be really expensive. My friend just moved to Clarendon (i LOVE clarendon, if you move to arlington, think about it) and he pays about 1600 for a one bedroom apartment...pretty steep.

It depends on what you really want. I live at home right now mainly for money's sake and because I am waiting for my friend to get her **** together so we can move in together. You may find it a good idea to stay at home for a few months first, save some money while looking for some good deals. That's what I'm doing....aside from the whole "saving" thing ;)

where are you working? Do a budget and see what you can afford. Best advice,

get the military to pay you to go to grad school for dentistry. The Air Force has a good plan, pays all of your school and living expenses and like a thousand a month, plus your an officer while you're in school, so when you get out your pay will be more because of time served. Then you owe them 1 year for every year in school. It's a sweet deal.

If you like it, put in 20 retire at 46, or collect retirement and go into private practice.

If the full time thing scares you try the reserves. Also check all branches and see who has the best deal. There are some very big $$ bonus being offered right now plus you can qualify for student loan repayment (if you have any). You can get $1,500 or 5% ,whichever is higher, of what you owe paid a year up to a total of $10,000.

WARNING - make absolutly-positively sure you get anything you are promised IN WRITING. Most of the recruiters you talk to are honest but there are some bad apples. If you decide to join talk to someone who is already in to see if the deals you are recieving are ligit.

Stay at home for 1 year. Save up all the money you can. Buy cool gear for when you do move out and get a nice car. Thats what I did (in Sterling).

Arlington is cool, but people are right, its expensive. I live in McLean so im in Arlington most weekends. There is no point in living in Arlington if you cant afford to go out at night, which for me is like $80 or so a night.

Archived