Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My friend's Dad was a hero in Tampa

Mickalino

The father of my friend Tim, was stabbed several times while trying to save a guy in Tampa during an attempted murder. His heroic story was completely overshadowed in the news by a not-so-heroic act by a kid named Dungy, whose (cowardly) death got more publicity because of his famous father.

Here's the article.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/12/29/Hillsborough/Man_stabbed_when_he_i.shtml

Some of you might remember my friend Tim, from this post -

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125244&highlight=return

While I salute your friend's dad for his bravery, I must rebuke you for calling James Dungy's death "cowardly" and "not-so-heroic." He suffered from depression and, speaking as someone with the same illness, when you have that issue hanging over your head, you don't view the world in the same way. James Dungy obviously was hurting to the point that he was no longer capable of rationale thought. It's a shame he took that drastic step. To call it cowardly, however, is just totally insensitive.

While I salute your friend's dad for his bravery, I must rebuke you for calling James Dungy's death "cowardly" and "not-so-heroic." He suffered from depression and, speaking as someone with the same illness, when you have that issue hanging over your head, you don't view the world in the same way. James Dungy obviously was hurting to the point that he was no longer capable of rationale thought. It's a shame he took that drastic step. To call it cowardly, however, is just totally insensitive.

No offense, st, but now this thread is also being taken over by the name James Dungy.

While I agree it may have been insensitive, that was the very reason he started this thread. :2cents:

I've been in Dungy's shoes. And I'm quite certain it was far worse for me.

And I can still tell you from experience, that there is no excuse for his action.

That's why the American society is so full of pansies.

We have a convenient excuse for everything.

Mickalino, I hope you're really not this hard on yourself as your post makes you seem. Serious depression is often a mental illness. It has more to do with medical and psychiatric factors than anything as simple as "character." I hope you know that.

I used to be a hard ass about this topic as well until it hit close to home and I learned how it can happen to otherwise wonderful and strong people who you would never expect it to hit. It can really be devastating and just take over their lives. Friends just have to step in and take over sometimes - it's a shame young Dungy was so far from home and left alone - I'm not trying to blame anyone but leaving seriously depressed people alone doesn't help them. You really need to get in there and monitor them closely. If just to give them a sense they are not completely alone and life isn't hopeless.

So kudos to Len Guerrieri - a real human being. And to you, too, Mickalino, for calling our attention to it. Thanks.

And I can still tell you from experience, that there is no excuse for his action.

I don't think anyone is making excuses for the young man, but it is sad to see someone so young do this.

I too have experienced the same thing with a close family member and I can tell you that it had nothing to do with being a coward. Quite the opposite actually. He thought that he was a burden on his family and friends and thought the logical thing to do was kill himself. That was his state of mind, he was severely depressed and was not thinking rationally.

Iggy, that's complete BS. I was making a point about what's wrong with society and the media and if you think that's a cheap shot, then too bad.

Ok, you were not making a point about what is wrong with society. Your first post was:

"The father of my friend Tim, was stabbed several times while trying to save a guy in Tampa during an attempted murder. His heroic story was completely overshadowed in the news by a not-so-heroic act by a kid named Dungy, whose (cowardly) death got more publicity because of his famous father."

Where are you explicitly telling us the flaws in modern society? It seems like you wanted to tell the story of your friend's dad and then rail against a suicide. Maybe you should have titled your thread "why our society and media suck," or something along those lines, so us dumb people can actually figure out where you were going. We are mere Redskin fans, not self-appointed sentinels of United States culture who rail against personal slights.

Wow, I really thought that my point was clearly implied.

But if I have to spell it out, that's fine.

The point is that the people in our society that make the foolish decisions get all the attention, glory, and get treated either as victims or as heroes in some cases, because that's what sells, while the true heroes of our society get brushed under the rug.

Well...obviously it wasn't worse for you, because you didn't commit suicide.

The point is that the people in our society that make the foolish decisions get all the attention, glory, and get treated either as victims or as heroes in some cases, because that's what sells, while the true heroes of our society get brushed under the rug.

If that was your point, maybe you should have avoided the whole bashing James Dungy thing...might have helped your cause.

Wow, I really thought that my point was clearly implied.

But if I have to spell it out, that's fine.

Ok, now it makes sense.

Mickalino, I hope you're really not this hard on yourself as your post makes you seem. Serious depression is often a mental illness. It has more to do with medical and psychiatric factors than anything as simple as "character." I hope you know that.

I used to be a hard ass about this topic as well until it hit close to home and I learned how it can happen to otherwise wonderful and strong people who you would never expect it to hit. It can really be devastating and just take over their lives. Friends just have to step in and take over sometimes - it's a shame young Dungy was so far from home and left alone - I'm not trying to blame anyone but leaving seriously depressed people alone doesn't help them. You really need to get in there and monitor them closely. If just to give them a sense they are not completely alone and life isn't hopeless.

So kudos to Len Guerrieri - a real human being. And to you, too, Mickalino, for calling our attention to it. Thanks.

:applause:

:notworthy

My thoughts exactly!

Well...obviously it wasn't worse for you, because you didn't commit suicide.

Once again, an excuse. You're saying that because he committed suicide, that's an exact reflection on how bad his situation was. Rather it's a reflection on his ability to deal with the situation. No-one and nothing forced him to do it. How each of us responds to the situation is NOT a reflection of the severity of the situation. Maybe I was in a worse situation, but did not respond as severely as he did. We all have choices. I could give you a dozen reasons why my situation was worse without having to depend on whether or not I committed suicide.

If that was your point, maybe you should have avoided the whole bashing James Dungy thing...might have helped your cause.

And somehow you're going to justify what he did, or defend it, to convince me otherwise that he is a hero ? Please do. Otherwise, dont make such rash judgments.

This thread honestly was not supposed to be about Dungy.

He was merely mentioned as a side issue to make a point.

But since everyone insists on jumping on that issue and treating him like an un-touchable hero, I can discuss that as well. So answer me this :

If Dungy really was suffering from Depression, he of all people was in a position to get help, so why was he so quick to give up ? He had 2 important things that so many kids lack these days :

1 ) In a day when we have so many broken families, he had a father and family who truly cared about him and probably would have been willing to do anything for him.

2) A family wealthy enough to get him the best professional help available for his problem, and put him in the best institution if necessary.

This thread honestly was not supposed to be about Dungy.

He was merely mentioned as a side issue to make a point.

But since everyone insists on jumping on that issue and treating him like an un-touchable hero, I can discuss that as well. So answer me this :

If Dungy really was suffering from Depression, he of all people was in a position to get help, so why was he so quick to give up ? He had 2 important things that so many kids lack these days :

1 ) In a day when we have so many broken families, he had a father and family who truly cared about him and probably would have been willing to do anything for him.

2) A family wealthy enough to get him the best professional help available for his problem, and put him in the best institution if necessary.

I certainly don't know the particulars surrounding James Dungy's deppresion, but suppose that he believed that his father was all about football. And he saw the love that his father had for his players, and in his perception, that love was greater (and his father certainly spent more time with the players 9 months per year) than the love he recieved from his father. And that this lead to a feeling of defficiancy in that he would never "measure up" to his fathers expectations and feel truley loved.

This would be an un-workable situation, in his mind. A problem with no solution. How do you ask for help in that situation? How do you ask your father "why don't you love me as much as you do football"? And with your father being a famous figure, do you want to draw attention to this?

Archived