Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Annoying habit of Portis....

desertfox59

Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

I like this guy. Kinda reminds me of one of my old coaches. Even though we won we should always be looking for ways to improve. Hope one of our coaches notices and works with CP. Fundamentals.....

Zip-it-up and Zip-it-OUT!

Anyone ever see Portis hold the ball in his left hand in his career? Maybe being right handed when he would carry the ball in his left(running left of course) he found that he fumbled too much since it was his weaker arm(practice doesn't make perfect, it makes better but not always good). Thus, he went againest the grain and decided to carry the ball in his right hand at all times to avoid this and achieve the fundemental of not turning the ball over(on a regular basis).

That, and he wants to make sure he's able to throw a TD when needed.

Well let me explain it to you....

People, many people call Emmit Smith the best running back of all time...since I can think of at least three off the top of my head who were better (Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown) I would call that massivally overrated...I never said he wasn't good, in fact he is one of the better backs to play this game. But if you think you can compare ES to WP in any area but total career yardage....then you sir are a MORON.

Did you see a lot of Jim Brown playing???? As long as he doesn't put it on the ground and puts it in the end zone I don't care if he dribbles it there!!!

Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

The man is going to set a Redskins' rushing mark that has him above John Riggons and Stephen Davis, and was rookie of the year, has yet to rush for less than 1,300 yards in a season, do you really think what you have to say is relevant when you look at the facts?

I mean don't take this personal, but it's bothersome when fans have the nerve to criticize players who are litterally breaking records like Clinton Portis is doing, do you think he'd be where he is today if his 'flaw' was really a flaw? Of course not.

:laugh: :laugh:

I love it when I get a response that begins with "Look Blondie" :laugh: :laugh:

No, I didn't play a running back. I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express however! Does that count?

I treat him like a baby? Where did that come from? :laugh: :laugh:

I just happened to read some of this to someone kinda close to the situation. I don't think they were worried Portis carrying the ball.

I don't think I will either.

Thanks for the debate however!! I really enjoyed it! Maybe we can do it again sometime.

Blondie

Im sorry but you cant ask Rock for help. ;)

Portis doesn't do this all the time and there is actually a reason why he did it.. Might not be a good reason but anyway.. He was thinking about the endzone before he rounded the corner. He keeps it in his right hand incase he has to go out of bounds near the goal line, the ball will still break the plane of the endzone. If it's in his left arm, it goes out of bounds at the 1 inch line =(.

I agree with you, having been a running back myself that sort of thing is first day stuff. I'm sure he knows that.

Actually that would not be a reason for it. The goal line is infinite as long as there is a body part over the pylon. he could stretch the ball out of bounds as he dove sideways and as long as a foot went over the pylon its a touchdown. Vick did that in one of these recent games. Held the ball out of bounds as he dove, but threw a hand over the pylon for a touchdown.

On the other hand I do not see a problem with him holding it in the left arm. Yes I agree you would think it would be better to hold it away from the defense but there must be a reason. If none of his coaches have made him change it from highschool through college and into the NFL then perhaps there is a very good reason for it and we should just let it go...

geez got anything else to complain about.

He hasn't fumbled except twice (in only one game) all this year... it works for him. relax

Actually I do Portis gets to much air under the ball on those long passes.

That pass to Cooley look more like a punt, and he didnt plant both feet

either.

The annoying habit that Portis (and Moss) have is when you ask them a question they always answer, "I mean..." For example, Question: "Clinton, do you anticipate the Giants stacking the box this weekend to stop you?" Clinton: "I mean, that's what teams do..." Question: "Clinton, "Do you think Ray Brown can do his job at 43 years old?" Clinton, "I mean, yeah, I think he can do..."

I know it's picky, but I like to hear guys talk right. Clinton, no one asked what you mean. They asked for an answer. Just answer. Santana does the same thing. It must be a nervous thing.

I'd like some water, please...:)

"water" for what? This thread actually makes a good point. Although, ultimately there have been guys who were successful simply putting the ball in one arm or another and leaving it there, you are taught from firggin little league to hold the ball in the outside arm. However, sometimes that may require the back to switch hands and, as a coach, you excuse a player from holding it in the inside arm when the player's chances of fumbling increase if he swtiches hands or if he is just more comfortable holding the ball in a particular hand.

If you don't have anything intelligent to add to a post then why don't you just keep quiet.

The annoying habit that Portis (and Moss) have is when you ask them a question they always answer, "I mean..." For example, Question: "Clinton, do you anticipate the Giants stacking the box this weekend to stop you?" Clinton: "I mean, that's what teams do..." Question: "Clinton, "Do you think Ray Brown can do his job at 43 years old?" Clinton, "I mean, yeah, I think he can do..."

I know it's picky, but I like to hear guys talk right. Clinton, no one asked what you mean. They asked for an answer. Just answer. Santana does the same thing. It must be a nervous thing.

Dude, I mean that's pretty funny... you know what I mean.

GO Skins!

your an idiot

Damn...cut the guy some slack...when any of us on here can put up a single-season rushing performance like CP has done this season, then that person is qualified to ***** about CP holding the ball in the "wrong" arm...short of that, STFU...unless, of course, you know more about football than Joe Gibbs...

Right. Guys who have been involved in the game all this time, for that many years, who started out with the fundamentals, need help from us. Now that's arrogan presumption.

It's not arrogant, it's just the truth. Just like how a lot of NFL players do not tackle right. Probably 90% of NFL players in the secondary arm tackle. But that must be correct because they're pros right?

Damn...cut the guy some slack...when any of us on here can put up a single-season rushing performance like CP has done this season, then that person is qualified to ***** about CP holding the ball in the "wrong" arm...short of that, STFU...unless, of course, you know more about football than Joe Gibbs...

I'm pretty sure Joe Gibbs didn't tell him what arm to carry the ball in.

You know what, you're right. CP does everything right. Let's just fire the RB coach...

He did the right thing.

No one was going to touch him, if he switches hands he heightens his chance of dropping the ball, fumbling etc. If there is no one at risk of touching him then by all means he should keep it in the hand that he's most dominant with.

Some of us don't know how to play football?

Pretty sure Portis knows how to play football a tiny bit better than you do. Take your Portis bashing somewhere else, I'm pretty sure no one at this forum wants to hear it. You're bashing the man that has carried this team on it's uphill comeback.

He did the right thing.

No one was going to touch him, if he switches hands he heightens his chance of dropping the ball, fumbling etc. If there is no one at risk of touching him then by all means he should keep it in the hand that he's most dominant with.

Some of us don't know how to play football?

Pretty sure Portis knows how to play football a tiny bit better than you do. Take your Portis bashing somewhere else, I'm pretty sure no one at this forum wants to hear it. You're bashing the man that has carried this team on it's uphill comeback.

We (the ones bashing CP) are not taking anything away from what Portis has done this year. He has had a tremendous year, and is finally starting to look like the back he was in Denver. That being said, NODOBY IS PERFECT. It's ok to criticize CP in a contructive way. None of these claims are unfounded. All players still make mistakes. That's why they have coaches. That's why they watch film. That's why they PRACTICE. No one in the NFL is perfect, and no one is beyond scrutiny.

Archived