Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Son of Colts coach Dungy Dead (Merged)

slackermike

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9112348

Son of Colts coach Dungy Dead

NFL.com wire reports

TAMPA, Fla. (Dec. 22, 2005) -- James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead in a Tampa-area apartment, police said.

In a news release on its website, the Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office said it "responded to the Campus Lodge Apartments this morning at approximately 1:32 a.m. The girlfriend of James Dungy had returned to the apartment and discovered Dungy."

Police performed CPR on Dungy before he was taken to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

No foul play is suspected, but a cause of death won't be announced pending an autopsy, said Vida Morgan, a secretary in the sheriff's public information office. The apartments are located in Lutz, Fla.

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa, according to NFL.com.

The coach and his wife, Lauren, have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade and sons Eric and Jordan.

The Colts (13-1) are at Seattle on Saturday.

Fans posted prayers and messages of support for Dungy, who also coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, on a message board on a Colts fan website.

"Not only was he a great football coach for the Bucs, but he is an even better person," one Tampa Bay fan wrote. "It makes me sick that it happened at this time of year to a person that is so giving and caring."

Another person wrote for God to give strength to Dungy during this difficult time.

"When things like this happen it adjusts our perspective on life," one person wrote. "What was considered major yesterday doesn't amount to more than a footnote today."

That's got to be tough.

Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy.

I really hope this does not have one hint of sarcasm in it.

Tony Dungy is a wonderful man that has a great family, I know them through a mutual friend and have met them on several occasions. This is very sad news to me...

Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy.

I don't think you were attempting to be sarcastic, but just in case you didn't know, that is a phrase generally reserved for sarcasm -- so many would take that to mean you think Dungy is a jerk.

This is terrible news -- RIP James and hopefully the Dungy family can get over this. Luckily they have a big family, and can draw off and support eachother.

Archived