Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't underestimate Eli - stopping Tiki won't win this

gortiz

The only reason why I bring up that statement is because I think the skins might have done the same to Chris Simms to the tune of 3 TD's and 279 yards - and we can all agree that manning is better than simms ...

Its kind of vogue right now to say if we stop Tiki, Eli won't beat us, well see the Tampa game, we held them to 61 yards rushing and it did us no good ...

Sure we stop Tiki and we increase our chances, but if we don't pressure Eli and give him all day to throw to Plax and Tommer, we could see Tampa all over again ...

The only reason why I bring up that statement is because I think the skins might have done the same to Chris Simms to the tune of 3 TD's and 279 yards - and we can all agree that manning is better than simms ...

Its kind of vogue right now to say if we stop Tiki, Eli won't beat us, well see the Tampa game, we held them to 61 yards rushing and it did us no good ...

Sure we stop Tiki and we increase our chances, but if we don't pressure Eli and give him all day to throw to Plax and Tommer, we could see Tampa all over again ...

It is going to be a tough game for both clubs...but one thing you will notice about Tiki when you play him,you will stop him for little gains but eventually he always breaks one big run,maybe not a TD but he puts us in a good position.In all of this Talk Shockey is lost I think he is going to be a big factor if you guys bring 8-9 people in the box it is going to be his and Eli's job to get dump off passes for 4-5 yards.

Sean Taylor didn't play against Tampa. Neither did Griffin and some other DL if I recall, correctly.

But the absence of Taylor was huge. I didn't realize how important he was until that game, but he has a HUGE impact on the other team's offense when he's on the field. He makes the field a lot smaller for the other team.

Considering the pressure we were able to create last week, I think that as long as Tiki doesn't beat us we will win. Look at the last win for them. Tiki just killed us. It wasn't like eli took over. We also had a lot of mistakes on offense. I think that Eli is not going to beat us.

I've seen Eli play a few times this year and he does well standing up in the pocket around the pressure, we really have to win our one on one coverage battles and our one on one blizting match ups cause I think he will get the ball out, and make his throws catchable ... everyone knows GW is going to bring the house ....

In the 36-0 loss, we DID hold them to 5 field goals in the red zone. The point being, the Giants REALLY aren't a "grind it out team". Tiki can break one from anywhere on the field but he usually gets runned down from quicker DBs.

We have to minimize or even eliminate ALL long runs over 20 yards. He MAY get 100 yards rushing, but as loing as he doesn't break the long ones I think we will be okay.

I said in another post, that many of our sacks vs the Girls were "coverage sacks". That bodes VERY well for us agianst their receivers. I'm not sure who has the better passing game between the Girls and the G-strings...it seems pretty even. With the mistakes that Eli has been making, I like our chances to contain their passing game. I think a big hit on Plaxico and Shockey "EARLY" could set the stage.

In all, I think Tiki will get some yards...80-100...but I look for 2-3 picks by Eli which will be the difference.

Sean Taylor didn't play against Tampa. Neither did Griffin and some other DL if I recall, correctly.

But the absence of Taylor was huge. I didn't realize how important he was until that game, but he has a HUGE impact on the other team's offense when he's on the field. He makes the field a lot smaller for the other team.

That's why I say this is a different team than 2 mos ago. Everyone is healthy and it will not be repeat performance of the last game.

I think the thing is, that is what this defense is designed to do. This defense is designed to stop the run and make their opponent one-dimentional, then come after the QB with a vengence. That is simply our Modus Operandi.

We need to stop Tiki so that we can force the Giants into predictable situations. That is what this defense is designed around. Making your opponent predictable.

The secondary is playing very well right now. If we can bottle up the run, I think it's clear that we can handle a passing attack very well. Especially once Coach Williams turns the dogs loose on Eli. We have Griffin and Salavea back healthy. Daniels has stepped up in recent weeks, not just against the boys, and Taylor is healthy again which he was not in the last matchup.

But the biggest different is the atmosphere. It's a long way from Giant's stadium the week after Wellington Mara's passing to Fedex in Decemberwith 90 some thousand screaming fans. That will be the biggest difference.

Theres no doubt the Redskins arent taking that team lightly, who in there right minds would unless they want beat again 36-0

Joe Gibbs will have this team ready and you better believe the Redskins are out for revenge and to prove there not that team that got beat down that bad in the Meadowlands.

Besides the Playoffs in sight and the whole season, Ny is already in I believe, even if they lose there next 2. But it sure is fun to finaly be proud of our team again, same with NY fans. The game is for our teams to focus on, and no doubt our Skins are focused. The fun is for us fans to enjoy and to taunt the other fans in good reason, not in hating.

How longs it been since us Redskins, Giants and Cowboy fans could actualy be here and have this much fun taunting each other with out us saying Philly owns this division. It sure is great having the real NFC East back, so why not taunt each other and enjoy it. :point2sky

Theres no doubt the Redskins arent taking that team lightly, who in there right minds would unless they want beat again 36-0

Joe Gibbs will have this team ready and you better believe the Redskins are out for revenge and to prove there not that team that got beat down that bad in the Meadowlands.

Besides the Playoffs in sight and the whole season, Ny is already in I believe, even if they lose there next 2. But it sure is fun to finaly be proud of our team again, same with NY fans. The game is for our teams to focus on, and no doubt our Skins are focused. The fun is for us fans to enjoy and to taunt the other fans in good reason, not in hating.

How longs it been since us Redskins, Giants and Cowboy fans could actualy be here and have this much fun taunting each other with out us saying Philly owns this division. It sure is great having the real NFC East back, so why not taunt each other and enjoy it. :point2sky

Well said, Well said.

You're right, stopping Tiki is not going to guarantee a win. The Giants have won ten games. Of those ten games, Barber was held to under 100 yards in four of them: Cardinals @ home, Broncos @ home, Saints @ home, Niners @ SF. So the Giants can win without Barber. But note that except for SF, all the games that Barber was stopped and the Giants won was at Giants stadium. Yeah, NY managed a win without Barber vs SF, but SF is SF.

Consider the scenario: Defense stops Barber, Eli is forced to pass, and a deafening FedExField crowd. Now, throw in the fact that the Giants have yet to beat a winning team on the road this entire season.

I'll leave the conclusions to you.

Do you honestly think the game plan is focused only on Tiki?

Regardless, Eli isn't good enough to beat us on his own.

After the last game, I think it would be safe YES. I do. He killed us.

I just hope that while trying to take out Tiki, by stacking 8 in the box and not respecting eli with sufficient coverage down field we don't get a replay of Chris Simms in Tampa ... he had his way with us, and all he had to do was stand in the pocket and throw catchable balls, eli is more than capable of doing that ...

Eli didn't kill us. Tiki did. Eli himself had an average game, if that. His QB rating barely cracked 60. He was under 50% in completion ratio and barely threw for over 100 yards. That kind of performance would get the Brunell bashers out en force with extreme prejudice.

Stopping Tiki will win this. Period. :cool:

You're right, stopping Tiki is not going to guarantee a win. The Giants have won ten games. Of those ten games, Barber was held to under 100 yards in four of them: Cardinals @ home, Broncos @ home, Saints @ home, Niners @ SF. So the Giants can win without Barber. But note that except for SF, all the games that Barber was stopped and the Giants won was at Giants stadium. Yeah, NY managed a win without Barber vs SF, but SF is SF.

Consider the scenario: Defense stops Barber, Eli is forced to pass, and a deafening FedExField crowd. Now, throw in the fact that the Giants have yet to beat a winning team on the road this entire season.

I'll leave the conclusions to you.

You could also say that in those games the competition was extremely weak (niners, saints, cards), except for the broncos game, where Eli led an amazing (though improbable) drive at the end of the 4Q to win the game. If it came down to putting eli in that same position, I would say I'm all for it, considering our D and the way eli has played in the 4Q recently.

That's my take.

I just hope that while trying to take out Tiki, by stacking 8 in the box and not respecting eli with sufficient coverage down field we don't get a replay of Chris Simms in Tampa ... he had his way with us, and all he had to do was stand in the pocket and throw catchable balls, eli is more than capable of doing that ...

The other thing is, I think we have to play a little less agressively vs Tiki. Less agressively, meaning, let him come to us. Don't throw your body at him, and end up catching only air.

I think the aggressive nature of our defense hurt us last time.

Archived