Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't underestimate Eli - stopping Tiki won't win this

gortiz

There is no doubt that we must execute on all fronts this Saturday. That is what we saw in the Dallas game..but on Offense it started with Portis pushing for extra yards and great blocking by the O line. On Defense consistently that we have not done all year. We got to the QB. When those two factors started to click it opened up everything else, creating passing opportunities for us on Offense and consistently great field position due to our Defensive line play.

I seriously know NO ONE can beat us if we do this on any given Sunday.

What i took out of the first game with the giants is they have one hell of an offensive line. I believe we need to stack the box early and shut down tiki. then towards middle of the game moving people in and out of the box right at the snap to confuse eli. Also random blitzes from random people never hurt.

i think if we do that we can keep them off-balance and keep momentum on our side.

Before the first Giants game we blew out the 49ers. This time we blew out the sowboys. I hope we aren't in a pattern of blowing out one team and then getting blown out ourselves.

As for Tiki, he gets most of his big plays on blown tackles, so if we tackle well we have a good shot at keeping him in check. It will be a tough game, but we have a good shot at them.

The other thing is, I think we have to play a little less agressively vs Tiki. Less agressively, meaning, let him come to us. Don't throw your body at him, and end up catching only air.

I think the aggressive nature of our defense hurt us last time.

thats a good point, he is very good at cutting back and losing pursuit. ..

I wonder if the Giants are gonna try to pull some misdirection plays, i.e. reverses, and maybe even a flea flicker, or something to play off the crazy emotion our players are gonna be hyped on like a HB option ...

Well, I would bet our goal going into our last meeting was to stop Tiki and it didn't work out too well.

I'm curious to see what we do differently to actually stop him. I know we've been able to slow him down in the past, but so far this season, he's been a different RB and has had success against us.

I guess my point is, it's one thing to make it a priority and another thing to actually do it! I hope the 12th man and their OL injuries help us out here!

One of Eli's worst days this year came against the Redskins and we all know the results of that game. His performance shows very little relation to the Giants fortune while Tiki's is highly related. Also, Eli's performance shows little relation based on Barber. Teams which shut down Barber still are able to shutdown Eli while teams which can't stop Barber, don't have to worry about Eli (I mean, they can't shut down Barber, so who cares?). Of course, stopping Barber won't win this, you've also got to execute when you've got the ball. Even though Eli had a terrible day against the 'Skins the first time, we would have still lost that game even if we had shut down Barber.

At Tampa, we were missing Taylor and Griffen. Simms had a handfull of good plays and no matter how good a gameplan you've got, most NFL qbs will have a good play now and then, you just have to hope they don't come at the wrong time. We lost because we failed to EXECUTE at crucial junctures (a solid 15 point swing there and a missed opportunity to ice the game later). Could I see us walking out of the game thinking we stopped Barber and still lost, yes but that'll be because we failed to execute NOT BECAUSE OF ELI.

One of Eli's worst days this year came against the Redskins and we all know the results of that game. His performance shows very little relation to the Giants fortune while Tiki's is highly related. Also, Eli's performance shows little relation based on Barber. Teams which shut down Barber still are able to shutdown Eli while teams which can't stop Barber, don't have to worry about Eli (I mean, they can't shut down Barber, so who cares?). Of course, stopping Barber won't win this, you've also got to execute when you've got the ball. Even though Eli had a terrible day against the 'Skins the first time, we would have still lost that game even if we had shut down Barber.

At Tampa, we were missing Taylor and Griffen. Simms had a handfull of good plays and no matter how good a gameplan you've got, most NFL qbs will have a good play now and then, you just have to hope they don't come at the wrong time. We lost because we failed to EXECUTE at crucial junctures (a solid 15 point swing there and a missed opportunity to ice the game later). Could I see us walking out of the game thinking we stopped Barber and still lost, yes but that'll be because we failed to execute NOT BECAUSE OF ELI.

I agree, wholeheartedly, one thing that kills me is our pension to give up that one good play you talk about, at the wrong time. But you make a good point, we would have lost that game even if Tiki got 106 yards as opposed to 206 ... offense was horrible, TO's killed us. We probably lose 16-0 if we shut down Barber ...

Here are Eli's stats from his last 3 games:

Vs. Dallas: 12/31, 152 yds, 38.7% completions, 12.8 Y/Comp, 4.9 Y/Att, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 27.9 rating

@Philadelphia: 28/44, 312 yds, 63.6% completions, 11.14 Y/Comp, 7 Y/Att, 1 TD, 3 INTs, 63.8 rating

vs. Kansas City: 17/32, 186 yds. 53.1% completions, 10.94 Y/Comp, 5.8 Y/Att, 1 TD, 1 INT, 68.0 rating

Several things jump out immediately. First is that he basically sucked in all 3 of these games, yet they won. When you consider that Tiki went for 115 yards (124 total), 124 yards (195 total), and 220 (249 total) in these games, this lends great credence to Darth Tater's assertion that Giants' success is correlated strongly with Tiki's success, and not at all with Eli's.

Quite frankly, I've seen Eli Manning a fair amount, and I don't think he's very good yet. He is horribly inaccurate, and his yardage and rating are skewed by catch and runs by Tiki and Shockey especially, as well as pure jump balls won by Plax thanks to no real skill on Eli's part. We must slow Tiki down. If we keep him under 100 yards, and our offense comes to play, I don't think we can/will lose.

Archived