Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boomer said the 2006 salary cap....

cfujskins

will be $92 million. He said this on today's (Saturday's) CBS pregame show and he sounded pretty sure of himself ( even saying "This just in, the salary cap for 2006 will be $92 million). I was thinking, "how in the hell does he know?", but..... Anyways, any thoughts?

Why, this is awesome for us. This will allow us to keep Lavar, give him the offseason to get healthy. It will also allow us to get Reggie Wayne and possibly two defensive ends.

now, i cant really tell, but I hope your being sarcastic with this.

this screws us for next year. People have said thatwe will be near 30 million in the hole going into the offseason. We mightbe loosing a lot of high profiled redskins at the end of this year

this screws us for next year. People have said thatwe will be near 30 million in the hole going into the offseason. We might be loosing a lot of high profiled redskins at the end of this year

no we wont because of how many of the "high profiled" skins have long term deals. There are only a few people that have one year left, and we have the cap to resign them. The oly problem is that we might not be able to get many key free agents, but we will be able to keep LaVar. I can see us getting at least one solid cheap WR, and another solid cheap DE that will b able to help our team. The rest of our needs we will to pick up in the draft.

no we wont because of how many of the "high profiled" skins have long term deals. There are only a few people that have one year left, and we have the cap to resign them. The oly problem is that we might not be able to get many key free agents, but we will be able to keep LaVar. I can see us getting at least one solid cheap WR, and another solid cheap DE that will b able to help our team. The rest of our needs we will to pick up in the draft.

I'm not sure you've got a firm grasp on the salary cap -- all of our players, no matter what their contract length, count against the cap. Lavar's 10 million dollar hit next season doesn't "count less" or something because he's under long-term contract.

However someone posted very pleasing cap numbers, I think it was MrMadd...which suggested the Skins were not in cap trouble after all...:whoknows: I am definitely not a cap expert...

I found MrMadd's analysis; very thorough. If Dan Snyder knows anything, its how to finagle and massage the cap numbers...

well,i dont know if i know exactly what you mean, but, i think that you might have the NBA salary cap system and the NFL cap system mixed up. in the NBA, you can be over the cap 30 million, and not be in trouble, because they also have the hard cap. but in the NFL, there is no hard cap, so, you have to be under the given salary cap by the start of TC... i might be wrong in interpruting what your thinking, but this is what i got from what i read.

this screws us for next year. People have said thatwe will be near 30 million in the hole going into the offseason. We mightbe loosing a lot of high profiled redskins at the end of this year

Any comments on MRMADD's analysis?

The Skins will have to make some adjustments cap wise. People always talk about Lavar's cap #. I had no problem with the Skins giving Lavar big money at the time of his sigining because he was the Skins property and he performed well for the Skins. The Skins Cap problems are what they are because they always over compensate for other team's players.

i cant say that I have looked at his post prior to what I wrote

Here is an exerpt from his post:

Total cap costs for top 15 players in 2006: $60.6 million

Total cap costs for other 29 players (projected) in 2006: $20 million

Existing dead money: $3.5 million (Barrow, Morton, McCants)

Projected dead money: $2.5 million (Ramse, Noble, Hall, Tupa)

Projected rookie pool (est. 7 players, no first round): $2 million

Cap cushion (mid-season additions, etc.): $1 million

Total projected Skins cap in 2006: $89.6 million

Over/under: $400K UNDER

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121901&highlight=2006+Salary+Cap

You should really read the rest of his analysis as well. Might change you gloomy outlook on our cap situation a little.

Here is an exerpt from his post:

Total cap costs for top 15 players in 2006: $60.6 million

Total cap costs for other 29 players (projected) in 2006: $20 million

Existing dead money: $3.5 million (Barrow, Morton, McCants)

Projected dead money: $2.5 million (Ramse, Noble, Hall, Tupa)

Projected rookie pool (est. 7 players, no first round): $2 million

Cap cushion (mid-season additions, etc.): $1 million

Total projected Skins cap in 2006: $89.6 million

Over/under: $400K UNDER

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121901&highlight=2006+Salary+Cap

You should really read the rest of his analysis as well. Might change you gloomy outlook on our cap situation a little.

Is this including the bonuses we have to pay?? If so, sweet :cheers:

I dont know about MRMADD's numbers, If he is right that is great, but i have read in many places, not just one, that both lavar and samuels have cap numbers in excess 10 mil, lavar at 12 to 13 mil, because of the reciprocity of these multiple sources i find it hard to discredit

I dont know about MRMADD's numbers, If he is right that is great, but i have read in many places, not just one, that both lavar and samuels have cap numbers in excess 10 mil, lavar at 12 to 13 mil, because of the reciprocity of these multiple sources i find it hard to discredit

So I guess you didn't bother to actually read his post???

I haven't done the research myself, or bothered to check MRMADD's sources, so I don't know for a fact if his numbers are correct either. However, he clearly adresses your issue in his post.

Another exerpt to help you out:

A little explanation is in order. You’ll see on many sites, for example, that Marcus Washington counts as $5.2 million against the cap in 2006. Not true. Washington gets a $1.5m salary, his prorated signing bonus counts as $1.167m, and he’s due a $2.5m bonus in the offseason. Total: $5.2 m. But the $2.5m bonus can be prorated, making his cap cost in 2006 equal $3.3m, not $5.2. Same for Arrington: you’ll see the media say that his cap cost in 2006 is $12m, but it’s really $7m once you prorate the $6.5m roster bonus over four years. Did you know that there are 13 players due offseason bonuses for a combined total of $30m? Many of these (“guaranteed” bonuses, unlike offseason workout bonuses, for example) can be reduced from a cap standpoint. For this exercise, I’ve calculated the cap hit of all 13 guys if their offseason bonuses are prorated over 4 years instead of accelerated into 2006.

How could a higher cap number hurt a team owned by Snyder? 92 million is only going to help us out, what is the cap # this year, 74-76 million, I have no idea? I only see the 92 million figure helping us out. But I am not a capologist or anything, I only play one on TV

How could a higher cap number hurt a team owned by Snyder? 92 million is only going to help us out, what is the cap # this year, 74-76 million, I have no idea? I only see the 92 million figure helping us out. But I am not a capologist or anything, I only play one on TV

They only rationale is that they were hoping it would be higher.

The cap is currently $85M. We are approximately $115M for 2006 but there is no need to panic. We can shave about $30M w/o a blink.

The following guys will be cut or traded:

Raymer $1.119M

Ramsey $2.882M

Noble $2.630M

Harris $2.750M

Hall $1.430M

Bowen $2.40M

Wynn $3.453M

This totals about $16.67 but there are some small bonuses that will be recaptured such as Wynn's restructure which will amount to about a $1M. So let's say that saves $14M. With the cap going to $92M we are ($115M-$14M) or at about $101M. Then Danny will get creative; e.g.; Samuels has a hit of $10.2M next year and only about $8M per year for the next five years. Bingo, we give him a $750k salary in 2006 and restructure and pay his balance of salary in new bonus money; i.e., ($10.2M-750k) or a $9.45M bonus and spread it over the contract for a hit of $1.57M per year. This would make his total hit for next year to be $2.325M instead of $10.2M for a savings of another $7.8M without him giving up a dime. There are five other players with good lengths in their contracts which Danny can do the same thing with. Every year the cap goes up significantly which reduces the risk. We could easily be $15M under the $92M without much work and that's w/o touching LA which I believe will happen.

Archived