Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboy Fan turned Redskin Fan

footballhenry

I was talkin to my boss here on campus yesterday, hes a big Skins fan. We talk about the Sundays game pretty much every Monday. Well surprisingly he tells me that he used to be a big Cowboys fan. Surprised, I asked him how/why he jumped ship. Basically he said that he was a fan until Jerry Jones took over and fired Tom Landry. He said he couldnt be a fan anymore, because he beleived Landry had the right to leave on his own terms considering how long he had been there. I just thought this was interesting as I have NEVER heard of a Cowboy or Redskin fan switching sides. All in all, its good to hear :cheers:

Good for him!

I've had this conversation with cowboys fans

Me:Why do you like the Cowboys?

Them: I really liked Tom Landry?

Me: I like Tom Landry too, he was a great guy. Too bad he had to coach that team

Them: Yeah, we was great.

Me: If I were a cowboy fan I would have been ridiculously pissed off at how Jerry Jones dealt with him. I probably wouldn't be able to like them any more untill Jerry Jones were gone. What an awful guy.

Them: Well, I like Jerry Jones too.

That's not right. I even feel guilty for cheering for Aikman when he was at UCLA. We don't want the former enemy. That would be like the army letting in Al Queda members.

There can always be redemption dude. Jesus saves!

And the biggest difference between Redskins fans accepting former cowboys fans and the army letting in former Al Queda members is that one is national security, the other is people who watch grown men who get paid ridiculous sums of money, play a game.

I was talkin to my boss here on campus yesterday, hes a big Skins fan. We talk about the Sundays game pretty much every Monday. Well surprisingly he tells me that he used to be a big Cowboys fan. Surprised, I asked him how/why he jumped ship. Basically he said that he was a fan until Jerry Jones took over and fired Tom Landry. He said he couldnt be a fan anymore, because he beleived Landry had the right to leave on his own terms considering how long he had been there. I just thought this was interesting as I have NEVER heard of a Cowboy or Redskin fan switching sides. All in all, its good to hear :cheers:

I really feel sorry for this lost soul becaused he missed out on Jimmy Johnsons resurrection of The Cowboys. If you are a fan of a team you are not a fan of just one coach, player or owner. It's the franchise.

:dallasuck

I really feel sorry for this lost soul becaused he missed out on Jimmy Johnsons resurrection of The Cowboys. If you are a fan of a team you are not a fan of just one coach, player or owner. It's the franchise.

And what a sorry franchise you represent :dallasuck :dallasuck

As much as I hate everything about the cowpukes...I'll always have respect for tom landry......And yall did the dumbest thing you could possibly do and got rid of him....Thus ended the only cowboy ever to show any class

I've actually met a couple people with similar stories...One of them became a Colts fan and one just stopped watching football. Its pretty common, actually...just look at the amount of people who jumped ship when the Nats came to town -- as soon as they could get rid of Angelos, they did! :)

I was a Rams fan until they fired George Allen. When he went to the Redskins I became a Skins fan and have been ever since.

I don't advocate blind devotion to a franchise. The truth is I could envision a scenerio where I would jump ship on the Redskins. There have been times when I was particularly unhappy with the Redskins, and I became less interested for a short period of time. During the Spurrier years, I was damn close to a full time Steeler fan.

If the Redskins ever treated someone as awful as Jerry Jones did a class act like Landry, I would probably "jump ship" long term here too. It hurts that you have to leave a team you've followed for so long, but strong people do it anyways. Conclusion - Only untill 1988, was anyone with even a touch of class a cowboys fan.

I will make an exception for young fans who don't remember the situation. It's like me, I will hate Eli Manning forever, because he looked like someone killed his puppy, when he was taken first in the draft, and whined his way to another team, but John Elway never bothered me. I knew the story, but I didn't have the image to go along with it.

It takes guts to be a fan of the Cowboys when Gibbs was hot then become a Skins fan right before Dallas has their run......I think he wasn't the only one who left Dallas when Jones fired Landry.

Tom Landry was a class act. He didn't have to be treated that way. I'm sure that Landry would of stepped down if Jones would of came to him and said "I have my own guy that I want to coach the team, but I would like to move you to the front office". That would of been the classy way to handle the situation, but as we all know, Jones is not a class act.

I have a friend that is a Cowboy fan and he said the firing of Landry was the lowest point he was at as a Cowboy fan. I knew there was Cowboy fans that jumped ship because of it.

I don't advocate blind devotion to a franchise. The truth is I could envision a scenerio where I would jump ship on the Redskins. There have been times when I was particularly unhappy with the Redskins, and I became less interested for a short period of time. During the Spurrier years, I was damn close to a full time Steeler fan.

I'm with Mr. Nostril.

I'm a third generation Redskins fan but stopped watching the NFL completely when I stopped caring about the Redskins for 4 years prior to the return of Coach Gibbs. I had a big problem with Mr. Snyder and many of his actions from signing people like Deion, to charging fans for entrance into training camp, to taking money for naming rights of a stadium that should be called Jack Kent Cooke.

The Redskins figure prominently in my best childhood memories such as my grandparents taking me to training camp every year, my extended family having Superbowl parties that included dear family members that are gone now, the idea that though my father and I have always a strained relationship, we could always talk about the 'Skins. Mr. Snyder's

actions not only made me feel he was hurting my franchise, but that he was twisting something that was a part of my family into another cold and calculating corporate machine. So I packed all my Redskins memorabilia- the scrapbooks, ticket stubs, autographs, pennants, coke bottles, wheaties boxes, football cards, posters, hats, tee shirts, jerseys- and put them into storage. No more Redskins and because I could never root for any other team, no more NFL.

In January '04 I turned on the computer and lo and behold Coach Gibbs is coming back. As much as I tried to suppress it, I wept. I made my peace with Mr. Snyder that day. Though my Grandparents are getting up in age

and won't be with us much longer, I now give them a call just because it is Cowboys week or the Skins looked good on the prior Sunday. On Sunday, I'm pretty sure from 1200 miles away I will be hearing my grandmother's "hootin' and hollerin' as my grandfather calls it, and for the past two seasons she has been able to hear mine.

Archived