Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboy Fan turned Redskin Fan

footballhenry

Boo on you if you abandoned the Skins during the Spurrier, Marty, or Norval eras. For shame on you that you only had rooting interest if the team is any good. I didn't get to experience the first Gibbs era, and had nothing but faith in this team. I thought we had a chance to win any given Sunday, and it's true. The only time I turned off a game early was 27-0 against the Cowboys because I was yelling at my family and causing hate and discontent. The only poster I agree with in this topic is the Cowboys fan, how sad is that?

You root for the franchise, not the owner/coach. Are you a Redskins fan or a Gibbs fan? If you're a Gibbs fan let me know so I can block you.

:dallasuck

And what a sorry franchise you represent :dallasuck :dallasuck

As much as I hate everything about the cowpukes...I'll always have respect for tom landry......And yall did the dumbest thing you could possibly do and got rid of him....Thus ended the only cowboy ever to show any class

...just assinine. When Jones took over the team he had no choice but to get rid of Landry.

What did you expect him to do after he paid a record amount for the franchise? Let him stay for another year or two. Everyone was talking at the time how the game had passed Landry by.

The Flex was dead, his blueprint for drafting players was no longer working and he didn't replenish the talent. He had driven the team to three miserable losing seasons each worse than the last including the #1 draft pick that ended up being Aikman.

That type of miserable performance doesn't merit a raise or employment security in any company why should a football team put up with it?

I have followed the Cowboys since 1970 and I stand by what happened in 1989 - a pure business decision. One that had to happen or else Dallas would have been known as the new Bengals in ineptude.

As business decisions go you have to stand by the record - and we all know what that ended up being and in this game that all anyone gives a rat's butt about.

It's all about what you have done lately. Jones had no choice, he had to let Landry go because Landry was not prepared to walk out. Jones had to get rid of the old guard who had failed miserably. He couldn't have very well expected Johnson to work at Valley Ranch with Landry still waking the halls and stepping into meetings or talking to the media.

The game had passed him by.

As for my personal opinion of the man, never was there more a stalwart of calmness and serene on the field than Landry. He personified class in a brutish game and I think NFL fans everywhere can relate to his stoic demeanor and the silouhette of the "coach" in the fedora.

I wished he and Jones could have agreed on some nice big respectful send off for Landry at the start of the 1989 season, but Landry would have nothing of it and carried the grudge far too long.

I believe he was struck by what many professional workaholics are caught with at the end - what do I do with myself now? All I know is this job and I haven't planned for life after that.

An emotional tragedy, but not a football mistake as some of you are decsribing it.

Boo on you if you abandoned the Skins during the Spurrier, Marty, or Norval eras. For shame on you that you only had rooting interest if the team is any good. I didn't get to experience the first Gibbs era, and had nothing but faith in this team. I thought we had a chance to win any given Sunday, and it's true. The only time I turned off a game early was 27-0 against the Cowboys because I was yelling at my family and causing hate and discontent. The only poster I agree with in this topic is the Cowboys fan, how sad is that?

You root for the franchise, not the owner/coach. Are you a Redskins fan or a Gibbs fan? If you're a Gibbs fan let me know so I can block you.

I'm a redskins fan, but I still think there's a rare occasions when your team does something that makes you able to drop them. We were making horrible decisions for a long time. I stuck around thorough all of Norv and Marty, because it would take something big for me to drop the team entirely. but when they dropped Marty after just one season, and an impressive season at that, where he seemed to be turning the team in the right direction. And in favor of that, he brought in a college coach, who was trying to implement a pass heavy gimmick offense, that was enough to start letting my affections for the redskins wane. It seemed the type of thing where, our owner has no idea what it takes to make a winning team. He wants it, but he doesn't know what to do.

As long as I feel the Redskins were a good francise I will stick with them through any amount of losses. I just don't think blind devotion to a francise makes any sense.

Someone once said about people who say Chicago is a good baseball town, because people keep cheering for the Cubs in spite of their losing ways, that this is the equivalent to calling a town who continually does a poor job cleaning their clothes, but the residents still take their clothes to the cleaners a "good dry-cleaning town."

I agree with this. If a franchise is being poorly run, then there's no reason the difficult decision can't be made to let go.

:dallasuck

And what a sorry franchise you represent :dallasuck :dallasuck

As much as I hate everything about the cowpukes...I'll always have respect for tom landry......And yall did the dumbest thing you could possibly do and got rid of him....Thus ended the only cowboy ever to show any class

Truer words were never written about the cowboys. They also have a number great players in their history who werem good people, but their legacy will always be marred by the type of organization and the nature of the majority of their fans.

Lance Renzel, Michael Irvin, and Jerry Jones embody the real cowpie culture.

Archived