Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey the New Rypien

Ynot

Remember If Ramsey goes we are basing our chances next year wiht a 36 year old quarterback that is having a hard time finihsing this year. We will bring in another quarterback that does not know the system. remember it took Doug Williams some time to get hooked on the system. That leaves you with an untried rookie. I beleive Gibbs realistically wants to make a push for the Super Bowl next year and not to train a rookie live on the field will make that impossible. We need Ramsey if not the Starter then at backup to have a chance. I think he should start next year and Brunnell the back up.

There are no Bledsoes out there to get, unless the Chargers let go of Brees and go young!

In talent, Mark Rypien didn't come close to Ramsey. He surpassed Patrick only in one aspect, he had a better touch on his deep throws.

Rypien benefitted from being surrounded by outstanding talent. In his best year, he was sacked only 13 times for the entire year. In 2004, our QBs were sacked 32 times. Under Spurrier, it was 40 per season.

Rypien had a much better corps of receivers than Ramsey has ever had.

In mobility, Patrick is a gazelle compared to Rypien.

plz!! dont even compare rypien to patrick ramsey mark was mentally tough, when i think patrick ramsey i think of two plays from last season 1 was that wounded duck bomb/punt he thre for a int against the giants the second was the int in the sunday night game against philly- throwing a 40 yard pass in the endzone to a double covered chris cooley?! cmon ! ramsey does not have what it takes to lead us or any team to the superbowl, dont even mention him in the same breath with mark rypien

I am sure if you go into any season you can find 2 bad plays from any quaterback, did you see Brett Favre last game and of cuorse I am even considering Ramsey in Favre but every quarterback can make bad plays iti s what he does afterwards that makes them stand above most

plz!! dont even compare rypien to patrick ramsey mark was mentally tough, when i think patrick ramsey i think of two plays from last season 1 was that wounded duck bomb/punt he thre for a int against the giants the second was the int in the sunday night game against philly- throwing a 40 yard pass in the endzone to a double covered chris cooley?! cmon ! ramsey does not have what it takes to lead us or any team to the superbowl, dont even mention him in the same breath with mark rypien

Have you forgotten that Gibbs benched Rypien twice for making dumb mistakes?

comparing cambell to carson palmer, eli manning, is absolutely ridiculous, there was a reason everyone thought we were crazy for trading up to get him, he is a work in progress type of draft pick, it will be 2-3 years before he should step onto the field, and from then on i hope he becomes great, but he is defenitely not a throw him into the fire #1 draft pick like the above said players, and i dont think brunell has it in him for another full season, he can barely get through this one and its quite noticable that hes been going downhill since week 8, we definitely need to keep PR

I agree we need Ramsey as Campbell is at least another 2 years away! He is no where near as ready or prepared from a rpo style college or a high octane pass offense as the other rookies listed on this site. If we trade Ramsey we will be left with a Rookie and a 36 37 year old quaterback who is not performing in the last 4 games against teams that are rank in the bottom of the defense categories. I just think he is hurt, tired and agae has a lot to do with it. ramsey should be the starter next year and Brunnell the back up. If brunnell starts and we bring in another back up who does not know the offense will be step back for a maybe 4th round pcik from ramsey and hit we will take on the cap for trading him.

I say Brunnell go do it this year to get us in the playoffs but be ready to be ramseys back up as he gracefully did it for you this year!

It does not make logical sense to trade away Ramsey-- We'll just end up shopping for another QB-- one of lesser talent. Not only that we won't get anything of value-- Lord only knows what garbage our FO will draft with a 4th round pick. They obviously aren't successful with late round drafts. Moreover, Brunell definitely doesn't have the stamina to play out a full season anymore. I have a feeling Ramsey is going to be finishing up the season after sundays game. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree we need Ramsey as Campbell is at least another 2 years away! He is no where near as ready or prepared from a rpo style college or a high octane pass offense as the other rookies listed on this site. If we trade Ramsey we will be left with a Rookie and a 36 37 year old quaterback who is not performing in the last 4 games against teams that are rank in the bottom of the defense categories. I just think he is hurt, tired and agae has a lot to do with it. ramsey should be the starter next year and Brunnell the back up. If brunnell starts and we bring in another back up who does not know the offense will be step back for a maybe 4th round pcik from ramsey and hit we will take on the cap for trading him.

I say Brunnell go do it this year to get us in the playoffs but be ready to be ramseys back up as he gracefully did it for you this year!

When I posted a couple months back about us not necessarily being through with Ramsey I expected everybody to think I was crazy. Especially since I also suggested a possiblity that PR might come to feel he's not ready just yet to be through with us. I won't repeat all my speculative details here, but it if shakes down he's with us next year I sure won't be surprised or dissapointed.

The short version is he could be a very cost effective interim starter (assuming Campbell does have what it takes for later) or a #2 with some skill set who really knows the system, while Brunell falls behind him in line either form the start of the year or after the first half of the season. For Pat's side, he may see how one more year working on his game here in a secure enviroment (where he really is liked ) before he takes that big risk/opportunity team-jumping may have some appeal depending on how the option for him to stay is constructed and presented. I know it's an unlikely scenario to most everybody, me included, but I don't think it's too way out there.

Hey, Green and Johnson showed great talent WHILE THEY WERE HERE (as did Humphreys). PR has not - he keeps needing more "chances" but never seems to make ANY progress on several critical problems.

Humphries never did **** as a Redskin. His career stats here are prety much garbage.

10 games 58% 1100 yards 4TDs 11Ints

This was while playing with some of the best offensive talent in the NFL in 1990 mostly.

Ramsey has played with a revolving door of non talent including players like Candidate, 50/50, injured Coles, McCants, Patrick Johnson and either an Offensive system designed to throw the ball without any blocking or another one designed to send out 1-2 receivers in basic patterns that everyone on the other team already knows.

He had gotten brief chances 2-3 times over his career and considering that he has only played 7-8 games consecutively ever, he has put up some pretty decent stats. He has thrown less Ints than TD's and his ratio is even better when he was actually the starter and not coming off the bench.

Potentially, the difference between him and Favre is that Favre was started in 1992, did alright, played poorly in 1993 but wasn't benched then even and in 1994 Favre was a pro bowler and soon to be league MVP. Favre didn't look that good in his first couple seasons and threw some of the stupidest INTs you will ever see, and then went back out there and threw more of them, but he was give a chance because they knew he had the talent. Ramsey has talent too but nobody wants to give him a couple seasons to prove it. Also Ramsey didn't have a Sterling Sharpe or a Robert Brooks to throw the ball to.

Considering the experience Ramsey did very well last year, and won games that if Brunell had been in the game we would have either lost or eeked out a 13-10 win in. And that was coming off the bench midseason when every other team was flying around with 9-10 games of experience built up during the season.

Hey, Green and Johnson showed great talent WHILE THEY WERE HERE (as did Humphreys). PR has not - he keeps needing more "chances" but never seems to make ANY progress on several critical problems.

I would not begin to compare him with those guys. I would think he is more akin to Heath Shuler, Jeff George, and most of all, NORM SNEAD!!! In case you are too young to be aware of it, Norm Snead was the Redskins' up-and-coming QB for a period of time, never could really fully realize his "potential" He was traded straight up for Sonny Jurgensen!!! LOL The Eagles fans must STILL be gnashing teeth over THAT one. Let's hope we can do as well with PR...

I looked up Sonny's and Sneads numbers:

Snead

| 1961 was | 14 | 172 375 45.9 2337 6.2 11 22 | 34 47 3 |

| 1962 was | 14 | 184 354 52.0 2926 8.3 22 22 | 20 10 3 |

| 1963 was | 14 | 175 363 48.2 3043 8.4 13 27 | 23 100 2

Sonny:

| 1957 phi | 10 | 33 70 47.1 470 6.7 5 8 | 10 -3 2 |

| 1958 phi | 12 | 12 22 54.5 259 11.8 0 1 | 1 1 0 |

| 1959 phi | 12 | 3 5 60.0 27 5.4 1 0 | 0 0 0 |

| 1960 phi | 12 | 24 44 54.5 486 11.0 5 1 | 4 5 0 |

| 1961 phi | 14 | 235 416 56.5 3723 8.9 32 24 | 20 27 2 |

| 1962 phi | 14 | 196 366 53.6 3261 8.9 22 26 | 17 44 1 |

| 1963 phi | 9 | 99 184 53.8 1413 7.7 11 13 | 13 38 3 |

Sonny's last two years as an Eagle were less than what they expected...I bet they figured they could mold Snead to their needs and get rid of the older QB.

Good for them!! ;)

Ramsey is much better than Shuler. There was a debate in the offseason of the worst QB in Redskins History. Some favor Shuler. Others like Danny Wuerful.

Ah...good times.....

:logo:

I think Ramsey's time is up after the 2006 season if not sometime before. Jason Campbell wasn't drafted 25th ovr in this year's draft to be holding a clipboard for three or four years. That would be for a QB that was drafted lower, like in the 3rd-6th round.

I think Ramsey will be traded for perhaps a 3rd round pick. Maybe or maybe not. Brunell still has something left in the tank, but he's running short on starting time as well because he will be Jason Campbell's backup if not in 06' then in 07'.

Although both Gibbs and Ramsey confirm that Patrick did not specifically ask to be traded, it's a good bet that Joe heard words to that effect in that conversation they had after Brunell was announced as the starter this year.

Ramsey wants an opportunity to be somebody's number one guy. It's apparent that Gibbs doesn't see the potential in him as a starter in the NFL.

Why keep a guy who doesn't want to play for you?

I hope ramsey will be the quarterback next year and that way once he proves he can run this offense we will have to franchise him to keep him or loose him like we did Trent Green, Brad Johnson, Rich gannon, they all seemed to do very well once they got into a complete system. Hell even Ferrotte is winning in the Miami system of a run game, plus pass protection and a good defense and special teams. Ramsey has not quarterback in a complete system that understood the NFL until last year at the end and did pretty well for a Rookie!!!! The previous years under Spurrier was a travisty waiting to happen, he was lucky he did not end his career with and injury. I remember when Dallas had no line and won one game against us and the Dallas fans were ready to throw Aikman to the wolves!!!

It does not make logical sense to trade away Ramsey-- We'll just end up shopping for another QB-- one of lesser talent. Not only that we won't get anything of value

The other option is letting Ramsey walk at the end of next season and getting nothing in-return at all. He certainly won't re-sign after next year and the team certainly won't offer him the bank to do so.

Yeah, I agree. We can let Jason Campbell run the offense while Brunell chooses to either stay as a back up or retire. If Brunell retires Gibbs will probably sign another veteran QB as a back up to Campbell. I would like to see Gus Frerotte return to us and play for Gibbs. He's been playing well since he left us. It would be nice for Gus to finish his career here.

I disagree Campbell is not ready and I do not think Gibbs will have Campbell ready. As yo uhave seen in the past gibbs makes his quarterbacks carry the clipboard for a couple years.

We need to keep both and I beleive Ramsey should start next year. If not after the Cowboys game if we cannot muster any offense specially if we loose in which I pray that we don't

Well I fyou get rid Of ramsey and you have a 36 or 37 year old quaterback and you bring in a back up that has no experience with this offense and is not a simple offense with the formations and shifting. ramsey should be the quarterback next year! Brunnell the back up to work more with Campbell

Archived