Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Guess It's Final (Jacobs Thread)

You are totally missing the context of the situation. The coaching staff and Brunell himself have even recently heaped praise upon Taylor Jacobs. If they can't take advantage of it on gameday, they are either failing to utilize him, or they were dead wrong in their assessment. Either way, they deserve at least some of the blame.

And as for Brunell, Patton, Thrash, and every other reciever besides Moss has lamo numbers. Either all these guys totally suck, or we just don't have a quarterback who can make plays with his arm.

I'll take whats behind door number two.

my god man, please look at the big picture. Jacobs has been here three years, and every week someone says, "i think jacobs is going to break out this week" for three freaking years now.

seriously, the guy is never going to break out. He was obviously mis-evaluated by some people. And if people say that he's practing well, I don't put any faith in that. Are they going to say he stinks? Seriously.

The way you see how they are actually evaluated is by how often they play. And coming into this year Jacobs was number 4 on the depth chart. I think that is about the right place for him.

Does anyone else not find this ridiculous:

So far on this thread, we have blamed Mark Brunell, Joe Gibbs and the design of play, which apparently is to not throw ever to one of your two wr's, and anyone else?

The only person who doesn't get blamed is Taylor Jacobs. The guy who is the one constant in all of this. Who has constantly been injured. And who when playing has constantly sucked.

I don't understand how some of our guys who stink get so much fan support and some guys who are good get total fan disrespect.

Seriously, there is no conspiracy, there is no game plan not to throw to Jacobs. There is nothing between Brunell and Jacobs that makes Brunell uncomfortable to throw to Jacobs. Jacobs does NOT get open. And if people think that by going to the game and watching Jacobs that they know if he's open or not without any knowledge of what scheme the defense is playing and whether a safety actually his him covered or what, then you are being ridiculous.

JACOBS IS A BUST. We will all be a lot happier when we realize this and move on.

Incorrect on the first point. Several people have noted that Jacobs may well be part of the problem.

Unlike some, perhaps they recognize that singling out one player in a discussion about our struggling passing at this point fails to see the whole picture.

Incorrect on the first point. Several people have noted that Jacobs may well be part of the problem.

Unlike some, perhaps they recognize that singling out one player in a discussion about our struggling passing at this point fails to see the whole picture.

I don't mean to suggest that no one realizes that Jacobs is part of the problem. I just think those people who feel like Jacobs is getting a raw deal are not seeing the forest for the trees.

My only point is that this guy has had several opportunities in his career and has failed every time to establish himself. And, every time someone comes to his rescue. I don't understand where those people are coming from. That's it.

By the way, didn't your avatar used to be Gibbs? Is that you now?

It's not just taylor not producing, he needs a chance to produce. The first week he started, brunell through a barage of passes to him play after play, but the coverage was too good with Oakland.

but as of late, he is getting open, but brunell is not making the right decisions.

Om, here's an example. The first week he started the coverage was too good, now he's open and Brunell isnt throwing it to him.

Well, if the coverage is too good, that is probably the receiver's fault, no? And maybe he is covered now and Brunell can't throw him the ball.

I don't understand how some people seem to think it is not Jacobs' fault every time, when he consistently doesnt produce. You just can't blame the coverage being too good... that's what the coverage is trying to do. and the wr is trying to break the coverage.

If i knew how to make one of those confused smiley faces I would insert it here.

my god man, please look at the big picture. Jacobs has been here three years, and every week someone says, "i think jacobs is going to break out this week" for three freaking years now.

seriously, the guy is never going to break out. He was obviously mis-evaluated by some people. And if people say that he's practing well, I don't put any faith in that. Are they going to say he stinks? Seriously.

The way you see how they are actually evaluated is by how often they play. And coming into this year Jacobs was number 4 on the depth chart. I think that is about the right place for him.

Then again, this falls ultimately to the coaches. If a player can't get it done or isn't right for the system, it is up to the coaches and the organisation to address that and replace him with a player who can perform. Like Ramsey, either a guy is right for the system or he isn't. If he isn't, there is no excuse to keep him around for an exteneded period of time. Its not like the player is going to conclude that they don't have it and cut themselves.

i dont think i have ever seen brunell look through his progressions(recievers), he seems to look at 1 reciever and if his first reciever isnt open he either throws the ball away or throws to the rb out of the backfield. a good qb should be able to look through multiple recievers if he has the time. which i think our line for the most part has been doing pretty good pass blocking.

I don't mean to suggest that no one realizes that Jacobs is part of the problem. I just think those people who feel like Jacobs is getting a raw deal are not seeing the forest for the trees.

My only point is that this guy has had several opportunities in his career and has failed every time to establish himself. And, every time someone comes to his rescue. I don't understand where those people are coming from. That's it.

By the way, didn't your avatar used to be Gibbs? Is that you now?

Seems to me any fair assessment of Jacobs has to account for 2 things: his awful luck/struggles his health dating back to his first preseason, and the constant changes in the offense around him since he's been drafted.

Seriously, think about what's happened here since he's been drafted----the changes in coaches, QB's, scheme, etc. Against that backdrop it would be hard enough for even a healthy young player to find his niche.

I just think it's unfair, given all the circumstances (including, of late, Brunell's inability/unwillingness to throw downfield) to call Jacobs a bust at this point.

And yes, I used to be Gibbs, and still am. :)

I must admit I'm leaning towards the "Jacobs is a bust" camp. However, I can't entirely commit to that line of thinking when our QB play has left a lot to be desired during his tenure here.

The truth is that the Mark Brunell we saw in the first half of the seaon has devolved back to the "Scott" Brunell of last season again. As many of us feared, he seems to have worn down over the course of the season. The bottom line on Brunell is that he can still play, but not for a full season. He's slightly mobile but doesn't have the speed to truly be called a running QB anymore. In short, he's a backup quality QB now starting for us...we'll be lucky to get to 8-8 if our offense continues on its present track.

Getting back to Jacobs, I'd plan on keeping him around as quality depth. Bust or not, he's good enough to play a backup or #3 role. I'd still like for us to bring in an underrated guy like J. Jurevicious as our #2. However, if our poor QB play is in fact to blame for Jacob's lack of production, it will come out when Campbell or whomever else takes the helm.

Then again, this falls ultimately to the coaches. If a player can't get it done or isn't right for the system, it is up to the coaches and the organisation to address that and replace him with a player who can perform. Like Ramsey, either a guy is right for the system or he isn't. If he isn't, there is no excuse to keep him around for an exteneded period of time. Its not like the player is going to conclude that they don't have it and cut themselves.

well, he was the fourth best wr we had in training camp. which was how he was evaluated, which was why we got a guy like patten and thrash in two consecutive years.... what else can the staff do? its not like gibbs drafted the guy in the first place, but you gotta go with what you got and work under the cap to try to improve, right?

Just please no more Brunell is a bad qb cause he won't look at Jacobs, plus Ramsey is never going to make it b/c he couldnt get the ball to Jacobs, plus I hear Jacobs is good in practice, plus Jacobs was too well covered in the Raiders game = Jacobs will be really good if he only got a shot.

That's all I ask, please.

TJ has never produced period. He has been often injured and when healthy he has done nothing to make people say he was worth a second round pick. Now if Coles can get 90+ catches and Moss can make big plays, hell 50/50 was a bigger threat then TJ, then the lack of production has to go to the player.

Again look at how MB and the passing offense were moving the ball before the Patten injury. It is night and day, while Patten never had big numbers he kept the D honest which opened things up for Cooley and especially Moss. TJ does not demand any respect from DB's and after four weeks, if he is indeed open, how come you think Brunell would not have figured away to get him the ball.

Maybe it is MB's fault but the fact remains a veteran QB who was having a pro-bowl caliber season before the Patten injury, is IMO hardly the reason TJ does not produce and the reason the offense has again become bogged down.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Anybody think the O-line may bear some of the responsibility here? Given more time, maybe Brunell might be able to look at second or third receiver options. They have been pretty good in the run game this year, but pass protection has been sub-par (see Dockery and Samuels) in my assessment.

Seems to me any fair assessment of Jacobs has to account for 2 things: his awful luck/struggles his health dating back to his first preseason, and the constant changes in the offense around him since he's been drafted.

Seriously, think about what's happened here since he's been drafted----the changes in coaches, QB's, scheme, etc. Against that backdrop it would be hard enough for even a healthy young player to find his niche.

I just think it's unfair, given all the circumstances (including, of late, Brunell's inability/unwillingness to throw downfield) to call Jacobs a bust at this point.

I guess I see all your points, but I have a different take on each of them.

First of all, all those coaches, schemes, etc, I look at that as multiple opportunities for him to find a niche, not as an impediment for him to become productive.

Second, I look at his injuries not as bad luck, but as a player who is injury prone. and being injury prone leads to you being labeled as a bust.

And finally, I do think the bottom line is that Gibbs evaluated this guy as a 4th wr on our team. A reserve guy. And I think given his opportunities thus far this year, he has shown that that was an accurate assessment of his abilities. And if he's truly never better than a 4th, or even a 3rd Wr on a team, then he wasnt worth a high second round pick. Thus making him a bust.

Excellent point Om!!! All things considered, I think its difficult to accurately judge any of our young draft picks that were holdovers from the Spurrier era.

As for Jacobs, I would agree that he hasn't lived up to the 1st round pick value that many originally projected him to be (we ended up picking him in the 2nd round and believed it was a steal at the time). But that doesn't mean he can't be a productive player, given the right environment and opportunity.

Anybody think the O-line may bear some of the responsibility here? Given more time, maybe Brunell might be able to look at second or third receiver options. They have been pretty good in the run game this year, but pass protection has been sub-par (see Dockery and Samuels) in my assessment.

ok ok, now we've blamed play design, brunell and somehow the o-line. I heard portis slipped Jacobs a bum playbook since he went to Florida so that he would look bad.

C'mon, the reason Jacobs hasn't produced is Jacobs. That's it.

Excellent point Om!!! All things considered, I think its difficult to accurately judge any of our young draft picks that were holdovers from the Spurrier era.

As for Jacobs, I would agree that he hasn't lived up to the 1st round pick value that many originally projected him to be (we ended up picking him in the 2nd round and believed it was a steal at the time). But that doesn't mean he can't be a productive player, given the right environment and opportunity.

The guy has had the opportunity to be the team's #2 option at the WR position in recent weeks, as a result of injuries and he has 6 catches for 50 yards to show for it. Any player who has the opportunity to start after not having that opportunity due to being on the bench or injured, needs to take advantage of that opportunity.

At this point, considering we are in a race for the playoffs, we need guys who can step up and make plays. Jacobs hasn't done that up to this point.

Actually this is the first thread i've created about Jacobs. So you might want to learn a little about who you're referring to before the diahrrea comes out of your mouth. I've been a supporter of his hoping the offense would open up. But we've seem to have digressed rather than progressed.

Personal attacks will get your whooped here boy. Just an FYI.

Even if it wasn't you who posted this, shouldn't you have been able to isolate one of the many threads with exactly the same content. Big supporter you are, calling a guy a bust and not offering up one single solid reason why. Worhtless.

You are totally missing the context of the situation. The coaching staff and Brunell himself have even recently heaped praise upon Taylor Jacobs. If they can't take advantage of it on gameday, they are either failing to utilize him, or they were dead wrong in their assessment. Either way, they deserve at least some of the blame.

Oh come on, players heap praise on their teammates all the time. Very rarely do you ever truly hear what a player really feels about his teammates. I bet if T.O. was here, he'd tell you EXACTLY what he feels about Jacobs performance on the field.

Archived