Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Guess It's Final (Jacobs Thread)

Those are weak arguments.

- his crappy history with injuries

Braylon Edwards' season is over. But in a few games' date=' he proved to anyone watching that he can play. If anything, this just proves that Jacobs is injury-prone. And if your career is over-shadowed by injuries, you can eventually be called a bust. Ki-Jana Carter had a crappy injury history too.[/quote']

Except that, as I'm sure you recall, Jacobs got hurt so early in his first preseason he never even had a chance to show what he could do. Edwards got hurt 13 games into his season. Surely you recognize the difference.

And btw, nobody's comparing Jacobs to Edwards here. Ya need to find a better straw man. :)

- the tumult in offensive schemes/QB's/OL problems since he's been here,

The first point is just wrong. There was one transition in schemes from Spurrier to Gibbs and it's not like he had to re-learn Spurrier's scheme. He should have been ahead of everyone when he arrived here. Jacobs has had to learn two offensive schemes since he was recruited in college.

It's not "wrong" simply because you say so. It is a factor that, coupled with the injuries, has contribued to some clear degree to his struggles to get untracked. Whether you think it's a major factor or not is one thing; simply saying it isn't one at all is ... well ... just wrong.

As for poor QB play, there's possibly something to that. But receivers make names for themselves with bad qbs. Hines Ward went from fourth-round pick to All Pro with Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox throwing him the ball.

And there has been no games lost to injury on the O-line this year, which is just miraculous. And I don't know how this impacts the fact that a receiver can't get on the field.

I still think you're missing the bigger picture. I'm not talking about this year alone, or his rookie year alone. I'm talking about a guy who throughout his snakebit short career has yet to be able to stay healthy enough, for a long enough period of time, to get on the field long enough to establish anything with any of the rotating QB's and evolving schemes he's had to deal with ... and this during a period of massive upheaval on a struggling team.

Multiple factors at work. As with most things.

- now that he IS actually on the field for once, the fact that his QB seemingly either cannot or will not throw to any WR besides Moss or anyone beyond about 15 yards downfield.

So, now it's Brunell's fault?

Okay, now THAT'S being obtuse. :)

Again ... nobody is saying Jacobs is great or that this isn't partly on him as well. All we're trying to say is that given his history of injury, and the team's rollercoaster history during his short tenure here, labeling him "a bust" seems premature and unfair.

And now I AM done with this. If I'M tired of hearing me repeat myself, I can only imagine what it's doing for the rest of you.

I was at the game...noone was open....

it was magical how well the Cards defense played..the one Brunell had to throwo away out of the back of the end zone to cooley..there were 5 Cardinals back there covering him LOL..geez!!

but it still wasn't enough!!!!

You'd think as much as we ran it, things would open up. Course, at that point, Gibbs pretty much gave up on the passing game except for picking up first downs.

Jason

I agree with a lot of these responses. I dont think he even looks his way. All brunell does is lock on to moss and throw it pretty much no matter what. He'll go away from moss on screens to cooley and portis and occassionally to royal,but he just doesn't seem to acknowledge jacobs. I bet he's doing fine.

Brunell has been largely telegraphing his passes since the Giants game. For a typical game over the last seven, his QB rating is abut 72. Jacobs has started the last 4 games with a conservative offense. Hard to judge frankly. I think he will produce decent numbers in the right situation, whether here or elsewhere.

Archived