Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cost of Health Care

Destino

Wwe lived through a campaign for President where health care was a major issue. What has been done since? Not much. If you don't pay for your own insurance you may not realize how expensive this has become. If you do, and have a family to pay for as well, you know just prices are getting dangerously high.

According to the NCHC in 2004 premiums rose 11.4 percent to an average of $3,695 a year per individual (that's $307 a month for those of you on a monthly budget) or nearly $10,000 a year per family.

So what do you people think about this?

(keep the partisan finger pointing out of this thread. Please stick to opinions, possible solutions, and why they may or may not work)

Wwe lived through a campaign for President where health care was a major issue. What has been done since? Not much. If you don't pay for your own insurance you may not realize how expensive this has become. If you do, and have a family to pay for as well, you know just prices are getting dangerously high.

According to the NCHC in 2004 premiums rose 11.4 percent to an average of $3,695 a year per individual (that's $307 a month for those of you on a monthly budget) or nearly $10,000 a year per family.

Well for those that do not know Bush has done a lot in getting the leaders of healthcare to create complete full electronic medial records, the only way the cost of healtchare will go down are these reasons:

1. There is a national standard in terms of coding for E-records

2. The employee takes a sense of obligation and tries to live a healthy life

3. We go to a consumer driven health care plan

4. The insurance companies agree to open the communication, which can be done with technology

5. Stop going to the ER if you feel a pain, learn more about what symptoms are and educate yourself on certain things, there is a ton of information you can now have access to free

6. Be open to all types of methods, yoga has been proven to help with back pains etc.....

Well for those that do not know Bush has done a lot in getting the leaders of healthcare to create complete full electronic medial records, the only way the cost of healtchare will go down is these reasons:

4. The insurance companies agree to open the communication, which can be done with technology

5. Stop going to the ER if you feel a pain, learn more about what symptoms are and educate yourself on certain things, there is a ton of information you can now have access to free

6. Be open to all types of methods, yoga has been proven to help with back pains etc.....

Outstanding post :applause:

The government should take an active role in finding out whether some miracle new drug works instead just paying for them without question.

They do, the problem is it takes years to get actual evidence on the drugs, and the drug companies want to sell before all the studies are complete. It is a very hard position because of how fast the science is changing.

One other point i do want to make about the cost of HC. Even though we are now able to save lives unlike any time before, this is also hurts all of us. What mean by that is if you live longer then your body tells you to, most likely you will have even more parts of your body deteriate faster.

We are noticing that when people live say 2 to 5 years longer then they were supposed to, are now dying from multiple disease and failures of the body, so yes you live longer, but not all the time at a good quaility, and that increases the costs tenfold.

They do, the problem is it takes years to get actual evidence on the drugs, and the drug companies want to sell before all the studies are complete. It is a very hard position because of how fast the science is changing.

Right now most of the studies are done by researcher who are funded by the Pharmaceutical companies. So if there isn't a favorable result it never gets published.

Well for those that do not know Bush has done a lot in getting the leaders of healthcare to create complete full electronic medial records, the only way the cost of healtchare will go down are these reasons:

Some of those points strike me as idealism.

2 - Even people that lead healthy lives get cancer, break limbs, have sick children. Also it's important to note that asking the everyone to lead a healthy life is like asking people to never lie. I 100% certain this will never happen. Policy can't be written on idealist wish lists.

3 - Explain.

5 - This behavior is largely caused by health insurance companies themselves. If your doctor doesn't have any open dates this week you can't simply go to another that's against the rules....so you have to go to the ER.

6 - Again, idealism.

(keep the partisan finger pointing out of this thread. Please stick to opinions, possible solutions, and why they may or may not work)

Destino,

Do you know if the premium amounts you noted above include what companies pay for the employee? Is this the average AFTER companies kick in their portion? I'm sure you know that many companies pick up a part of the cost of health insurance premiums, sometimes 50% or more. Not trying to make any point, just curious about the numbers.

Health Insurance companies and Drug Companies are making billions in profits every year, while premiums continue to rise.

Why is it that nobody wants to take a closer look?

"Tort Reform"... "Empowerment".... those two industries have you all looking exactly where they want you to look.... basically, anywhere but at them

And it is NOT a partisan issue. The repubs and dems are both guilty.

Some of those points strike me as idealism.

2 - Even people that lead healthy lives get cancer, break limbs, have sick children. Also it's important to note that asking the everyone to lead a healthy life is like asking people to never lie. I 100% certain this will never happen. Policy can't be written on idealist wish lists.

3 - Explain.

5 - This behavior is largely caused by health insurance companies themselves. If your doctor doesn't have any open dates this week you can't simply go to another that's against the rules....so you have to go to the ER.

6 - Again, idealism.

Destino, yes healthy people can get the same types of disease, but not at the same rate or percentage that people who are not healthy do, there are countless studies on this, why should companies pay for bad habits of their employees? that is who is responsible in the end

3. Consumer driven healthcare is a new type of plan that employers are looking it, it focuses on the abuse of dr visits that we currently have, in this type of plan the more you go the more you pay, it is geared to get people more involved in their own health, you start out with a certain amount of money like a health savings plan, once you get to a certain level then you pay for more yourself etc...

5. People have other options, the 24 hour phone lines where you talk to a nurse are a great place to go and they can inform you what you should or shouldn't do, people sometimes think heartburn is a heart attack, there is so much information at our finger tips then ever before to know what types of pains, or signs to look at etc... plus most plans have hundreds of dr's it is actually good to always get a second opinion anyway

6. is not idealism it is fact, there are many other types of medication, therapy that work, yogo is excellent for flexibility, the #1 cause of backpain is overweight or no flexibility etc...

another interesting study is what you eat, if you understand how long certain food take to digest you might think twice on eating a hamburger and then a steak the next night :)

Health Insurance companies and Drug Companies are making billions in profits every year, while premiums continue to rise.

"Tort Reform"... "Empowerment".... those two industries have you all looking exactly where they want you to look.... basically, anywhere but at them

Hooray, at least we can admit THAT much. The thing I really want to change is the "last days" health care, where old people cash in on every benefit in the last 30 days of their life and screw everything up. I dunno if I worded that right, but every politician knows about it. But old people vote, so lets mortgage our future on their behalf!

Destino,

Do you know if the premium amounts you noted above include what companies pay for the employee? Is this the average AFTER companies kick in their portion? I'm sure you know that many companies pick up a part of the cost of health insurance premiums, sometimes 50% or more. Not trying to make any point, just curious about the numbers.

I'm sorry I should have stated what the numbers included and provided a link.
The annual premium for an employer health plan covering a family of four averaged nearly $10,000. The annual premium for single coverage averaged $3,695.(2)
NCHC Link

Looks like it's only looking at what employers are paying.

Hooray, at least we can admit THAT much. The thing I really want to change is the "last days" health care, where old people cash in on every benefit in the last 30 days of their life and screw everything up. I dunno if I worded that right, but every politician knows about it. But old people vote, so lets mortgage our future on their behalf!

Yeah, let's just euthanize the old ****s. :rolleyes:

premiums are rising because we are not a healthy society, that is a fact, plus companies are tired of paying so much, you would be surprised how many catastrophic claims your company might have paid

Merck Pharmaceuticals made $5.813 BILLION dollars on the bottom line last year.

Cigna (Insurance) made $1.4 BILLION

But yah, it's tort reform and standardizing e-records. :rolleyes: :doh:

Are you claiming that Tort Reform and other items mentioned here have NO affect on Health Ins costs rising?

2nd, should the Govt step in and limit the profits a private company can earn? And if so, will they subsidize the share-holders of those companies who now earn less than they did int he free market?

do you understand the issues we have when other companies and dr's do not want to read your e-record :doh:

you must be ignorant, because the "last days" is not just for olded citizens, anyone with a disease and a life expectancy of less then 6 months have the option :doh:

Couple that with China's article a few weeks ago outlining the plan of Pharmaceutical companies to hire Cheerleaders to sell their product to doctors. :doh:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129841

Yet most will read this and not get mad. I don't get it.

you claim to know a lot about healthcare and how it works, do you by chance work in the field??? i would say no

Are you claiming that Tort Reform and other items mentioned here have NO affect on Health Ins costs rising?

2nd, should the Govt step in and limit the profits a private company can earn? And if so, will they subsidize the share-holders of those companies who now earn less than they did int he free market?

Maybe we should since other countries do it. And our citizens end up paying for the difference.

Archived