Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clayton's take.

Art

Marty: "We have young linebackers who show quite a bit of speed. Today, that's what defense is all about."

Interesting.

In some ways, Marty might be a throwback. But it appears that the old dog is learning some new tricks.

My favorite quote:

"Schottenheimer told the team that the best 53 players won't make the team. The 53 will be the ones who want to be a Redskin the most."

Leg injury? Chris Samuels? Did I miss something? Someone please enlighten me.

------------------

"Men, there's nothing to get excited about. The situation is normal; we are surrounded."

[edited.gif by Henry on July 31, 2001.]

Got to love this quote from Clayton's article:

"Schottenheimer told the team that the best 53 players won't make the team. The 53 will be the ones who want to be a Redskin the most."

Exactly my sentiment, there haven't been enough Redskins around here in the past, how else would you explain those emberassing losses to the Cowboys.

HTTR!

Younger players like Arrington respond better to coaches like Schottenheimer that set clear rules. Norv's ways only worked with selected veterans that were diligent enough to work out on their own and motivate themselves.

But how many players do you get like that? Emmitt Smith, Darrell Green, Jerry Rice...........

These guys come along for a team maybe once every 5 or 10 years at best.

No, Arrington, Monds, Moore, as well as Gardner and Smoot when they get in there are going to benefit from being held accountable from day 1.

and from playing for a coach that is able to convince them that playing pro football is a privilege not an inalienable right.

Some people are motivated when the bar is set high. When I played, if the coach treated me to positive comments, I figured if I wanted anymore praise from him, I'd better surpass the bar the next time.

------------------

There are two kinds of opinions, mine and the wrong one!

Monkey, Lombardi evidently was great at that. In Washington in 1969 he was especially harsh one day on running back Larry Brown, a rookie #8 pick out of Kansas. After practice Lombardi went over to Brown and told him to expect to be ridden hard because he expected more out of him than the other running backs. He told him "You are going to be in this game a long time after the rest of them (the other backs on the team) are out of football."

Right he was. biggrin.gif

Lavar went at it so hard that he was dehydrated and had to be helped off the field.

I didn't know that Darrell Green is wearing number 26 now according to the article.

Not sporting wood yet but getting there.

------------------

Take a sip of the Marty Kool Aid and Believe

[edited.gif by NavyDave on July 31, 2001.]

This is hilarious:

"Deion probably would have said, 'I hope they don't ask me to do that,' " cornerback Darrell Green said (referring to the Oklahoma drill).

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

Archived