Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Last Night Observations.....

Number5

I was there...I saw it all...for the most part....

I had endzone seats, sec 130, row 20 seat 15....so I had the best view of the carnage! I left after the score was 28-0.....

Some general observations about the game....

1- Mike McMahon sucks! On his first two ints, he had Reggie Brown streaking wide open down the field and never looked his way. Folks in the stands were saying it was as if he counted to three mississippi then either through a pick or ran. His pocket pressence equals that of a blind rat looking for the ingredients on a cheese wrapper. Not only is he a bad quarterback, he is a bad leader. I could see a couple of times the players in the huddle yelling at him after he made a brain fart. Most noticably were Westbrook and Smith.

2- The defense didn't play all that bad, but the call on Mikell in the endzone set the tone. The officals were making up for the game last week the Hawks had against the Giants. I was in that endzone and saw Mikell get pushed, not push off. In fact, it wasn't even him who made contact with Stevens, it was Trotter and even that was a stretch. The defense held Alexander pretty much in check except for a run or two, but the lack of a pass rush wasn't because of a lack of effort, it was because of a lack of consistent calls. Example......on the first touchdown, the RT had so much of Jevon Kearse's jersey that if he had more, then he might have been accused of trying to rape him. All night, there were no-calls, bad calls, and just overlooks! The NFL really gave Holmgren a gift. Merry Christmas Mike!

3- The crowd was unreal at the start of the game. From the time when the teams came out for pregame warmups till Reggie White's daughter sang the crowd was unreal. It felt like a playoff game, until the score was 14-0. People in the crowd were willing the team to play hard, willing the QB to throw accurate passes, willing them to do anything....but all we got was a pathetic effort from a team that quit after the 5:00 of the second quarter. As much as I don't want to admit it, I was ashamed to be an Eagles fan last night. I felt like I was watch a Ray Rhoades coached team! Eagles fans actually were nice to several Seattle fans, some said," As long as you know your football, you're alright with me!" Props to my section.......but then around the 10:00 of the second quarter it happened....."WE" eagles fans turned on each other......it was like crabs in a barrel with folks wearing Westbrook and McNabb jerseys fighting folks with White and Cunningham jerseys. All hell broke out. To make it worst, the people who were drunk were the stupid 18-24 year old crowd. They caused all the trouble by puking, throwing punches, and basically being arses for no reason! Shame on them! They are the reason why Eagles fans get such a bad rap. If you plan on getting drunk, do it at home so the "civilized" fanatics can enjoy the game in peace and cold!

4- Unless the Eagles get two new outside linebackers, an athletic and big defensive lineman, a backup QB 6'3" or taller, a No. 1 receiver, a fullback who actually does something and a GM who isn't named Andy Reid, then this team will not be in the running next year. Sorry to say that, but its the truth. This team looked old last night even with all the youth that is on the team. Its time to rebuild, not reload and it starts with the top with Reid giving up the GM role and focus on his real job....being a coach! It appears that neither is being done well right now.

5- Ryan Moats is no Westbrook, but he displayed heart last night. I literally fought every guy on the field out of frustration and anger. While the Hawks danced and joked, he got pissed and played harder, and that's what having pride is about. He might have fumbled, but he was at leat trying which is more than I can say for about 40 other guys on that team!

All in all, it was an embrassment to the city and the legacy of Reggie White. Old players like Byron Evans and Eric Allen spoke out about their displeasure with the current defense and team in general. One said that, "If TO was on our 90 team, Jerome (Brown) would have gripped him up and killed him!" Seth Joyner said it best, "This is supposed to be the city of brotherly love, but when your brothers who were the same green that you bleed in play like that, you gotta wonder, what kind of love is that?"

5- Ryan Moats is no Westbrook, but he displayed heart last night. I literally fought every guy on the field out of frustration and anger. While the Hawks danced and joked, he spit at them, and that's what having pride is about.

Spitting on a player means you have pride?

Spitting on a player means you have pride?

No......but if you are doing everything in your power and nothing good happens.....what are you gonna do...cry about it? Football is a nasty sport, and while I too have spit in some of my opponents faces I was wrong for it. The emotion carried over and took it over the limit. It was pride in my eyes.....but as I grew older, I knew that it wasn't. Though its unsportsman like and disrespectful, it happens in football all the time. Just like in pile ups, peoples' fingers get broken and nutts get twisted....its part of football.

the birds had a real tough outing last night. It is clear that they do not have a decent backup qb. just shows how important Mcnabb is to them. I would like to say that they are done and won't be any good for years to come but I think they will be back fighting next year. with a few tweeks to the roster of course. as ax said we all will be rooting for the birds when they play the g-men

4- Unless the Eagles get two new outside linebackers, an athletic and big defensive lineman, a backup QB 6'3" or taller, a No. 1 receiver, a fullback who actually does something and a GM who isn't named Andy Reid, then this team will not be in the running next year.

Jeeze, #5...you're starting to sound like me.

4- Unless the Eagles get two new outside linebackers, an athletic and big defensive lineman, a backup QB 6'3" or taller, a No. 1 receiver, a fullback who actually does something and a GM who isn't named Andy Reid, then this team will not be in the running next year. Sorry to say that, but its the truth. This team looked old last night even with all the youth that is on the team. Its time to rebuild, not reload and it starts with the top with Reid giving up the GM role and focus on his real job....being a coach! It appears that neither is being done well right now.

Well why doesnt your team stop being so damn cheap and actually put to use the remaining 12.6 million (highest by far) of salary cap?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2229972

Sorry but I have to disagree. If you guys get McNabb back 100% you'll be fine.

Your D is good enough. However they have not had the luxury that they've had in season's past of playing with a lead from the first quarter on.

Jimmy Johnson's defense isn't suited for close games or playing from behind.

As for playmakers at WR and RB... they are a direct function of the QB.

Trust me, McNabb comes back healthy, the Eagles will be a contender overnight. We'll circle back around to it this time next year ;)

I was there...I saw it all...for the most part....

I had endzone seats, sec 130, row 20 seat 15....so I had the best view of the carnage! I left after the score was 28-0.....

I'm sure it was tough

1- Mike McMahon sucks!

I tend to agree, but also his receivers have to play a little tougher. Greg Lewis needs to learn to come back to the ball and help his QB out. Especially his backup QB.

2- The defense didn't play all that bad
The first series they were schooled. Hasselbeck passed at will to Stevens, and the Eagles refused to adapt. The end result was a methodical 16 play drive that ended up in a TD.

And I disagree on the illegal contact call. Trotter just bowls him over in the endzone. You have to call it. (The refs did get it wrong calling it on Mikell, but the call should have been made)

Next thing you know it's 21 - 0 and the flavor of the game has changed. The Seahawks could run more and rely on their D. I don't think the Eagles would have been able to stop the Seahawks anyway.

3- The crowd was unreal at the start of the game.

It did seem loud, but all the boos in the first quarter are wrong. Then everyone left. That sucks.

4- Unless the Eagles get two new outside linebackers, an athletic and big defensive lineman, a backup QB 6'3" or taller, a No. 1 receiver, a fullback who actually does something and a GM who isn't named Andy Reid, then this team will not be in the running next year.

You might be overreacting a little.

Backup QB and linebacker are not priority positions for Reid. He feels he can plug in any old undrafted LB or castoff QB with the ability to run and get away with it. I doubt he will ever waste high draft picks on LB or backup QB. He can't pick LBs anyway.

But the team has a lot of money to spend. They will be able to make roster moves next year. The question is will they do it. They really don't need to rebuild, unless Mcnabb comes back less than healthy. They just need to retool.

As for the embarrassment, teams are going to get blown out. It happens. They came out very flat. All you can do is hope the team still believes in Reid. If they are not playing hard because the team thinks they are out of it and are unmotivated, Philly has a bigger problem than they think they do.

which begs the question, why dont you have a competent backup for Mcnabb?

I'm not defending the Eagles here... but there is no way I thought McMahon was that bad. Yikes he was terrible... I actually remember him being decent in Detroit.

Number 5......I thought for sure you were one of the guys who they showed without their shirt on in the stands last night. Those guys obviously don't remember what happened to those guys at the NFCCG vs Dallas in early '81, when some dopes went shirtless the entire game and wound up getting quite severe frostbite.

I have to confess that I watched the entire thing. Is that sadistic or what......wanting to see every delicious moment of the Birds getting whacked!

While McMahon sucks, Detmer probably isn't too bad as a backup. Isn't he one of the guys who led the Birds to a strong finish when McNabb went down a few years ago? I remember one of the backups went down in a game against San Francisco on MNF, but couldn't remember whether it was Detmer or the other backup then.

Finally, this may be nitpicking, but in a way this game showed how pathological Reid is with the pass. Dude, its 42-0, Holmgren has pulled his starting QB in the 3rd quarter, maybe 1,000 are left in the stands......lets just kill the clock and end this thing. Instead Reid insists on airing it out. Maybe I could see that he wanted to try and not get shut out. And I could understand at the end trying after Mahe made a good punt return. But the guy simply doesn't know how to or doesn't want to run the ball.

While McMahon sucks, Detmer probably isn't too bad as a backup.

That's because he knows more of the playbook. McMahon has the feet, and is more McNabb like in his ability to scramble. But Detmer has the brain. Brain usually wins out at the QB position. If Reid continues to give McMahon a shot, it's just out of pure Mormon stubbornness. He really looked lost out there.

Archived