Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ten Reasons to wait for the PS3

NavyDave

Yes. I am. Its not cause i couldn't reach the buttons. it was just too big a clunky. thats all. Ergonomics, look it up.

Ergonomics is exactly why the controller was made so big.

The smaller controllers that the PS and NES(especially that directional pad, man if this controller wasn't designed for a kid, I don't know what is) actually made me work more to use it.

Bigger controllers allows me to have a relaxed open handed grip. It just lays in my hands.

But the smaller the controller, the more I have to close my hand. It's like I'm making a fist trying to use those smaller controllers.

PS2 controller is an awesome controller, I'm mostly referring to Nintendo's.

I can definitly use the PS2 controller, I would prefer it bigger, but it's not a big deal.

Ergonomics is exactly why the controller was made so big.

The smaller controllers that the PS and NES(especially that directional pad, man if this controller wasn't designed for a kid, I don't know what is) actually made me work more to use it.

Bigger controllers allows me to have a relaxed open handed grip. It just lays in my hands.

But the smaller the controller, the more I have to close my hand. It's like I'm making a fist trying to use those smaller controllers.

PS2 controller is an awesome controller, I'm mostly referring to Nintendo's.

I can definitly use the PS2 controller, I would prefer it bigger, but it's not a big deal.

Obviously the NES and SNES were too small. But if the original XBox controller wasn't too big(as was my claim) why did they make it smaller?

How am I trolling. Im debating whats being debated in this thread.

Because you're not trying to "listen" to the man, you're not trying to "understand" what he is saying. You're trying to prove him wrong, in this Xbox vs PS type of discusion.

Trolls like to pick on things like grammar, and spelling mistakes.

Or in this case, try to point out literal flaws and basicly demand that they admitt that they are "literally" wrong.

Literally, he is wrong. But what you did is an action that pushes people away, instead of coming closer together with a better understanding of what he is trying to say.

Language is a tricky thing, and it can easily be used to do troll type behavior.

Obviously the NES and SNES were too small. But if the original XBox controller wasn't too big(as was my claim) why did they make it smaller?

Because they listen.

I imagine a lot of complaints came from actuall xbox owners...with kids.

Ever watch a kid play with an S controller? I did, it was funny looking, he had to use his index finger and thumb just to move the left thumb stick.

And then he ends up beating me on Madden! :doh:

So I believe it was centered around the kids more than anything else, in this change.

Basicly what he is saying is, he doesn't want to spend 500$ on a machine that pretty much only plays games.

It doesn't only play games. You have to remember that the PS3 is also a Blu-ray disc player. These players alone will go for around $1000 when they are initially launched. For half the price you are getting one of these plus one hell of a gaming machine.

It doesn't only play games. You have to remember that the PS3 is also a Blu-ray disc player. These players alone will go for around $1000 when they are initially launched. For half the price you are getting one of these plus one hell of a gaming machine.

Is Blu-ray going to be the standard though? I highly doubt many are going to just ditch DVD's for this.

This is my beef with Sony is they create their own standard that is only good for their equipment, look at the memory stick and what a joke that it is.

Play games......and watch movies. 500$:yikes:

Actually I'm fine with the price, and I'm curious about the product. But that's basicly what some critics are saying.

When you compare it to buying a TV. 500$ is actually a steal for the amount of money they are paying to make them. I read it was going to cost $475-ish per system to make.

With console wars, the gamers win!:cheers:

Is Blu-ray going to be the standard though? I highly doubt many are going to just ditch DVD's for this.

This is my beef with Sony is they create their own standard that is only good for their equipment, look at the memory stick and what a joke that it is.

Not right away, but that's what does happen over time.

That's how these companys make money, by stringing us a long.;)

I think Sony is going to yet again win the console battle, and this time it may be even be a complete dominance to monopoly level proportions... factors that they control as well as outside factors are at work here:

factors they control:

the PS2 surprisingly has come out with probably its best games ever in this past year like MGS3, DMC3, God of War, and Shadow of the Colossus which, in particular, may be the best console game of this generation. They have plenty more coming out, the crowning jewel of them being final fantasy XII, making the need of an Xbox360 unnecessary for PS loyal gamers, which ultimately will prevent the fanbase for microsoft to increase much

Sony has always had the highest amount of developer support since the PS1 and there all the signs that this will continue based on what this article said as well as basically any online or print publication... this leads to better selection of games, and a higher number of great games (to nintendo and microsoft homers-- quality over quantity is b.s., you dont have to buy the low quality games if you dont want to, so the any argument along those lines is illogical)

for the first time, Sony's system will be the unquestioned leader in terms of power, which is always a strength since thats what attracted many to the N64 and the Xbox instead of the playstation

factors not in their control:

Xbox360 was released in a scarily similar timeframe in relation to the PS3 as was the Dreamcast to the PS2, and it almost seems like the Xbox360 is acting in the same way as the Dreamcast, being the TRANSITION to the next generation instead of being the next generation itself. Whenever a next-gen system is released while the previous generation is still going strong, it creates an awkward decision for many, and usually the decision consumers come to is to wait. These gamers will wait for the PS3 when the next-gen officially begins. Plus, the graphics and such on the 360 are honestly not that mindblowing, much in the way the dreamcasts were in relation to the PS1 and N64, which only further minimizes the 360s advantage of an early release

Xbox360 has no games that are truly worth buying a whole system for yet, which is a killing point for sales of a system. Those who were arguing that the Xbox360 DOES have a killer app out on release day doesnt know what a killer app is... A killer app is Halo to Microsoft, Gran Turismo, Tekken, Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy to Sony, and Zelda or Mario to Nintendo, there are not many others... Call of Duty and Ghost Recon aren't killer apps because they are parts of series which have had many flawed games, something killer apps know nothing of because they are generally always immaculate and memorable games, AND the names Ghost Recon or Call of Duty are by no means household names in the gaming community.

Nintendo has almost officially taken themselves out of the battle of the console wars, which may actually be the best thing for their company. They are generating no hype, their system looks like a plastic box, and they have no interest in battling the big 2 in terms of hardware. the reason why this is good for both PS3 and nintendo themselves is that they are leaving themselves to be almost a seperate entity outside of the gaming battle, since youll either buy it because youve always been a nintendo loyal and not even think about Xbox360 or PS3, or youll buy it as a supplement to your main system, whichever it may be. Now, this is good for the PS3 because this removes any possibility of stealing thunder from Sony assuming the Nintendo Revolution comes out in a similar time because not only will it be a technically weaker system, there will be no buzz about it at all except by those who would have bought it regardless of technical capabilities.

you may not agree with some of the points I've made but for the most part they are generally unbias and true

Hey now, if I had the money(and more importantly the time), I would get both consoles and play games all day and night, but I only really have the time to get one of them, and I truly believe the PS3 will shock and blow away the Xbox360, the way the original Xbox blew away the PS2.

who the heck is going to pay $500 for a machine :doh:

Actually between 7 and 8 hundred bucks. Sony is running scared and they are putting all thier eggs in 1 basket. The 360 is the new heavyweight.

Read the game developers rants on the 360 and PS3 that to me is enough.

Plenty of people will buy the PS3 just because they have already been brainwashed. Remember some people can't see the forrest for the tree's :2cents:

Actually between 7 and 8 hundred bucks. Sony is running scared and they are putting all thier eggs in 1 basket. The 360 is the new heavyweight.

Read the game developers rants on the 360 and PS3 that to me is enough.

Plenty of people will buy the PS3 just because they have already been brainwashed. Remember some people can't see the forrest for the tree's :2cents:

Ummm... why don't you just wait for the system to come out, I don't think anyone knows which one is better yet.

If anyone sounds brainwashed, it's you...

I am not downing the system, the problem is Sony is getting into a fight with the largest company out there. Turning these machines into a base for interent and potential computing abilities they do not have the same resources as Microsoft.

Pulling some financials off of Hoovers -- and something really struck me:

Sony is quite a bit bigger company than Microsoft (as measured by revenues). However, Microsofts income is just amazing. Whereas Sony's income has been diddly for the past several years.

From what I've been hearing, Microsoft is currently selling the Xbox 360 Premium ($399) at about a $126 loss per unit. It's rationalized that they can do this because they'll make it up in software revenues.

If this is the model that Sony has to compete against with the PS3, they're going to have a tough slog considering the relative financial pictures of both of the two competing companies; but Sony, decidedly, moreso.

Check the financials at the bottom of this page: Microsoft has absolutely huge margins with which they can work. Sony doesn't. Their income has been absolutely anemic for the past several years. How can Sony suck up the expenses that it will have to incur making a PS3 which can overmatch the Xbox360? Can Sony suck up a similar loss per unit?

And then there is the year lead time that the Xbox360 will have on the PS3. That is going to hurt Sony's market share as well.

Honestly, I think I will buy a PS3 when it comes out -- just due to it's hyped edge technologically.

However, I wouldn't be surpirsed to Sony lose the console war to Microsoft -- perhaps not this round -- but in a future iterration (PS4 vs. Xbox 720)

The 360 controller is awesome! It's just like the PS2 controller, but with the control stick offset.

But what's funny is, the PS fanboys have been complaining about how big the original xbox controller was, and now look at this huge PS3 controller now!!!

Which it does look cool, but it also looks big.

I laughed my head off when people complained about the size of the controller.

Especially when a women said "What do you PS fanboys have? Kids hands?"

And the truth is, they do have kids hands on a kids system!

Yeah, I was talking about the PS3 controller. The XB360 controller looks great.

You litterally have to have the hands of a 8 year old to say that.

I remember the nes and snes controllers and how small they were.

I had a back put on the snes controller, about the size of the xbox S controller now.

My hands aren't that big, but I can reach my right thumb all the way over to the left thumbstick, without releasing my grip on the right side of the controller.

And you're telling me that the controller was too big?

Dude, I'm a big guy with big hands, and that first controller was ****ing huge.

Has anybody realized that the PS3 wont be out until 2007? They recently pushed it back again, from what I've been told. Honestly, if I'm waiting over a year to get this console, I'll buy the 360. Main reason is because like any computer, who's going to want to buy it as soon as it comes out? I'm going to wait a bit on the XBOX to let them work some of the kinks out. I would do exactly the same thing with the PS3. I'll eventually get the PS3, but the games that I like to play are on the XBOX, and also the timeframe that you're looking at.

If you think that controller is too big, then you're not big at all.

Don't be an idiot fanboy. That controller was too big and anyone with half a brain knows it. I go about 6'3", 230, and my hands are pretty friggin' big, even for my size. Playing a game with that controller was marginally easier than playing with a 25 pound turkey.

Don't be an idiot fanboy. That controller was too big and anyone with half a brain knows it. I go about 6'3", 230, and my hands are pretty friggin' big, even for my size. Playing a game with that controller was marginally easier than playing with a 25 pound turkey.

You compare a controller to a 25 pound turkey, and you're calling me a fanboy!

I literally read it myself, that girls were making fun of people who said that the controller was too big.

So, what's up tiny? How does it feel to wear an 8 size shoe?:laugh:

You know you're a fanboy when you complain about a controller size.

I mean, is that all you got? ....oh wait, we're talking about PS2...that is all you got! How pathetic!:laugh:

Archived