Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ten Reasons to wait for the PS3

NavyDave

Patience 360: Ten Reasons to Wait for PS3

Don't rush out to the stores just yet! You may want to save some money and we'll tell you how.

by Jeremy Dunham, Chris Roper, Ivan Sulic

November 21, 2005 - Unless you're the type of gamer who enjoys playing his wares under a rock, then you no doubt know by now that this week marks the official launch for Microsoft's Xbox 360. Several years in the making, the brand new hardware from Gates 'N Company has been receiving plenty of consumer hype in the past few weeks and has been heralded by some as THE big system watch in the upcoming next-generation console wars.

We're here to tell you that they're wrong.

Now don't misunderstand us, we'll be the first to concede that the Xbox 360 is certainly an impressive system with plenty of positives to keep its customers happy. But if you're a fan of high-definition technology, enjoy playing more games than the "other guy," and want to get the most possible bang for your buck, then Sony's forthcoming PlayStation 3 will definitely be the system for you.

Listed below in descending order are the top ten reasons your faithful editors on the IGN PlayStation team think you should wait until next year to make your first next-generation upgrade. And while we absolutely came up with more reasons to ward you off than those listed below, these were the selections that we felt stood out most. Sony fans, this article is dedicated to you so without any further ado, we present to you the Top 10 Reasons to Wait for PS3!

Reason #10: Xbox 360 Doesn't Have a Killer App

360's launch lineup is admirable; there are 18 games and five first-person shooters. It can even be argued that the 360's overall average quality of titles is greater than that of previous systems. And yet not a single game is Killer App worthy? Where's the Halo? Where's the Mario? Where's the Soul Calibur? Where's the frickin' interest?

It's true, though. PS2 launched with a sorry lot of games and PSOne featured a similarly disgraceful lineup, but with the advent of PS3, Microsoft may have wished it more heavily emphasized one game its new console could forever be known for. This is because PS3 has the Metal Gear potential, Warhawk, Tekken, I-8, Gran Turismo, Killzone, and a dozen other high profile games that may hit day one to put a smiling face to the splendid PlayStation name. And when you can associate Dante with PS3, will anything else matter?

Reason #9: Dual-Screen and 1080p Support

1080p! Sweet Marie! Even if most televisions don't support it, why limit yourself to interlaced images when you can experience the glory of 1080 progressive? Support is for the weak! PS3 is forward looking, if anything. This means when you invest in the ultimate display technology however many years down the road, PS3 will make good on your purchase by outputting the absolute best image available on the market. And according to boastful Sony reps, we'll see games running at 120fps, too.

The Dual-Screen support also adds some interesting 3D potential. Layering images is a great way to fake depth. But if Killzone in full 3D isn't your cup of tea, maybe panoramic F1 racing will be? The option is certainly there. If the next Ace Combat doesn't feature dual screen-in ****pit support, we know it at least could have if it wanted to. Boo-yah, 360. Where your 720p now?

Reason #8: Hefty Expandability / Connectivity Options

Have expansion, will travel. The best way to maximize a console's lifespan is by lining it with a thousand ports and interfaces of every type. In this way PS3 has expandability written all over it. Compact Flash, SD Card, Memory Stick, Blue Tooth, USB 2.0... If Sony ever wants to add-on, it need not limit itself to one standard. And if you ever want to jam something into your PS3, chances are you'll be able to, assuming it's not toast.

Moreover, PS3 will also be intimately familiar with the PSP, meaning cross-platform associations will be all over the place. Expect PS3 games to take full advantage of the little PlayStation Portable by offering unlockable content and new multiplayer possibilities. What if a PSP player could control Otacon's droid in the next MGS? Whoops!

Reason #7: You Can Still Pre-Order

It seems to happen during every system launch, but nobody ever learns their lesson. In the rush to be the first on the block to own a brand new console, mobs of people invade their local retailers while forming lines larger than what you'd see during Fourth of July weekend at Disneyland. It gets even worse once you're inside the store -- as people hurry to the videogame section eager to snatch up whatever overpriced bundle pack they can, so that the managers who decided to throw the promotion together can milk every last penny out of your paper route.

This can be avoided, however, if you just plunk down fifty or so bucks a few months ahead of time. All you have to do in this scenario is walk right into your retailer of choice, pay of the remainder of the balance and go home with a smile on your face. With a release date of just under a year away, the PS3 still lets you do this. The Xbox 360, on the other hand, does not.

patience-360-ten-reasons-you-should-wait-for-the-ps3-20051121063032222.jpg

You can play with seven of those boomerangs. SEVEN!

Reason #6: Seven-Player Wireless Support

While being able to play with six of your buddies offline in addition to playing with a single system will only be appealing for a small number of genres, it can be especially important for sports games in particular. Being able to populate an NBA or NHL team entirely with human players is something that isn't possible on any system outside of the PlayStation line, and the PS3 will keep with this trend.

If you've ever played through a season of your favorite sports game with each of your buddies taking control of a single player for the season, you know how rewarding and fun this sort of setup can be. Again, it's only possible on a Sony system, and in the next-generation the only place to find multiplayer support of this kind will be on the PlayStation 3.

eason #5: The HD IP Camera

The EyeToy is one of the all-time most successful peripherals released for a console for a number of reasons -- the biggest being that it works phenomenally well in its simplicity. The PlayStation 3 will see the release of the HD IP camera, which we'll assume will be called the EyeToy 2, or at least something that sounds a little more consumer-friendly.

The camera features a native HD resolution, allowing you to transmit crystal-clear images to the PS3 for online play and more. And with the increased resolution and the PS3's processing power, the camera will allow for even more advanced, yet natural, input with the system. Take that, Microsoft and Nintendo! Plus, being that it's IP-based, the camera's functionality ties directly into Internet use, allowing you to transmit feeds over the Intarweb with ease.

Reason #4: Full Backwards Compatibility

360 will let you play Halo and whatever other games Microsoft chooses to eventually support, but Sony has the PSOne and PS2 library covered, save for a few minor exceptions. Imagine booting up Tobal No. 1 just because you feel like it or taking on Shattered Soldier because you haven't gotten your ass kicked enough lately. That's what PS3 can do for you.

The coolest part is that PS3 may also be able to enhance the older games. Much in the same way PS2 improved PSOne games with better texture filters and enhanced load times, we expect PS3 games to add even better texture filtering, quicker loads, full scene anti-aliasing graphics and goodness knows what else.

MGS3 and Tekken are but a few of the Japanese-made PS3 titles.

Reason #3: Stronger Japanese Developer Support

One of the PlayStation 2's most powerful allies in the current-gen console wars was its strong relationship with fan favorite Japanese developers. Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Bandai, Atlus, Nippon Ichi, and Namco (among others) each offered unique content for Sony's system that you weren't going to find anywhere else. Tekken, Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, and a host of other games are just a few examples of this successful relationship... and none of them ever came out for the Xbox.

More importantly, though, the companies above supported the PS2 more heavily than they did other systems as a general rule -- and when you consider that all of the above names have already signed on for one or more projects in the first year of PlayStation 3 alone, that support is obviously going to continue. In fact, nearly 100 games were already announced by Japanese studios at or around this year's Tokyo Game Show -- which exponentially more than the confirmed Japanese titles available for the 360. And let us not forget that Sony's own internal Japanese studio isn't too bad itself.

Reason #2: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Remember when we said that the Xbox 360 doesn't have a killer app yet? Well the PlayStation 3's Metal Gear Solid 4 is definitely a killer app. Game creator Hideo Kojima has shown time and time again that he knows how to craft an excellent videogame, and after witnessing the impressive real-time demonstration of Guns of the Patriots (and its accompanying trailer) at TGS this past September, we're already convinced that the PS3 will be capable of some amazing things. A great pedigree plus great technology? Sounds good to us!

Reason #1: The Blu-ray Player

Sony and Company's next-generation disc format has yet to see the light of day in its final form, but the pure technology behind the format is immensely promising from both a gaming and general entertainment standpoint. We're talking 50GB+ of storage space here, more than 5x the space than the 360's DVD format can muster.

More storage space means more room for content which helps widen the possibilities of the PS3's power. Who needs a next-gen system if you run out of content space on your media (and keep in mind, Microsoft has no plans to incorporate HD-DVD or anything like it)? Blu-ray's transfer rate is also quite quick, and though the PS3's actual drive speed hasn't yet been announced, speedy load times should be on the horizon. And with all of the studio support that the Blu-ray Disc Association has garnered, it's sure to be one hell of a next-gen home video format. In short, the PlayStation 3 will have the most advanced storage medium of any game system on the planet.

AN ANALYST FIRM has warned that the price of the future Playstation 3 console could be as high as $500, due to its expected added media features.

Industry analysts Michael Pachter and Edward Woo, who authored the Wedbrush Morgan Securities report, reckon that Sony will try to flog the PS3 off with way more functionality than current consoles, including among others digital video recorder, or DVR and a DVD burner.

According to the report, by late 2006 – currently accepted as the earliest possible launch date for the PS3 – all of the system's extra features will cost about $250 to include, which will in turn lead to a $500 price tag.

who the heck is going to pay $500 for a machine :doh:

Its a computer. How much did yours cost?:rolleyes:

about $200 :D

Sorry but it is a gaming machine not a computer, are you allowed to buy more HD or memory for this, no

The article is wrong saying XBOX is not backward compatible, you just need a patch to be able to play up to 300 games :doh:

about $200 :D

Sorry but it is a gaming machine not a computer, are you allowed to buy more HD or memory for this, no

The article is wrong saying XBOX is not backward compatible, you just need a patch to be able to play up to 300 games :doh:

What internally makes a games console different from a computer?

who the heck is going to pay $500 for a machine :doh:

I'll say it again, you're just a Microsoft homer. I'll gladly pay 500 bucks for a PS3, given all of the capabilities of the system itself. 360 was 400 dollars so you can put as many of :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: as you want, doesnt really make a difference in your post

For the record I like both systems, I think it's funny how ppl like yourself jump to arms immediately and start trying to down the system

The fact that I get to choose the video card, speed of HD, the RAM, and I can even throw in a better processor if I want to.

Choice makes a computer a computer?

That doesn't sound right.

com·put·er pron.jpg ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kschwa.gifm-pyoomacr.gifprime.giftschwa.gifr)

n.

1. A device that computes, especially a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores, correlates, or otherwise processes information.

computer

n 1: a machine for performing calculations automatically [syn: computing machine, computing device, data processor, electronic computer, information processing system] 2: an expert at calculation (or at operating calculating machines) [syn: calculator, reckoner, figurer, estimator]

computer

<computer> A machine that can be programmed to manipulate

symbols. Computers can perform complex and repetitive

procedures quickly, precisely and reliably and can quickly

store and retrieve large amounts of data.

The physical components from which a computer is constructed

(electronic circuits and input/output devices) are known as

"hardware". Most computers have four types of hardware

component: CPU, input, output and memory. The CPU (central

processing unit) executes programs ("software") which tell

the computer what to do. Input and output (I/O) devices allow

the computer to communicate with the user and the outside

world. There are several kinds of memory - fast, expensive,

short term memory (e.g. RAM) to hold intermediate results,

and slower, cheaper, long-term memory (e.g. magnetic disk and

magnetic tape) to hold programs and data between jobs.

I don't see choice in any of these definitions.

Call of Duty 2 is a killer App. And it's a better 1st persons shooter than anything ever played on the PS2. Heck, it's better than any 3rd person shooter on PS2.

Followed by Ghost Recon 3 in Feb!!!

DoA4 will be out in one week. That fighting game, and DoAU are better than any fighting game ever to play on the PS2. Far far better than Tekken.

But let's see what kind of changes, Tekken makes.

Right now the ball is in PS3's court. They can do whatever they want, and right now they want to top Xbox 360. Well, more power too them.

The original xbox had it's problems, especially in the first year. But they came on strong, and proved that they out performed PS2. So the 360 has my money, and my attention.

I love to watch the strategies of the two companies in this war. To me that is more interesting than any game made for either system. It will be interesting to see Microsoft's move when the PS/3 nears release. Will they reduce the price putting pressure on Sony to come in around the $400 price tag. What does that do to Sony's bottom line. I think it's dangerous for Sony to be waiting a year. I don't see how they will maintain their 70% market share with the strategy they have taken. That's too much opportunity for MS to take a bit out of that large lead they have built up over the years. It will be interesting.

I don't really understand why Sony fanboys love to bash Microsoft's product (and the other way). If it wasn't for the competition do you really think you would be getting this kind of hardware for this kind of price? What company would take a significant loss per unit if it wasn't trying to steal or maintain market share for the future.

Navy Dave - It was an admirable post, but there are two main reasons to buy X-box 360:

1. It’s available now and living up to the media hype. It's producing the numbers that Microsoft said the machine would do. there's no guessing if they are spinning the specs because the system is in-hand and hitting all the specs Microsoft promised. Microsoft Gave you playable demos at the most recent E3 and the 360 is what they promised. It is yet to be determined if Sony will deliver what they brought as movies to E3.

2. The demand for X-Box 360 proves that those of us, who have them, have something that many others across this country want really badly ($5,000.00 on e-bay). We can revisit the X-box 360 / PS3 debate whenever Sony launches their system, but one thing is certain, Sony is in unfamiliar territory this time around because they'll be fighting this battle from the position that all their competitors have been in since they gained dominance over Sega with the PS-One (behind). Sony's fan base has already demonstrated some degree of brand disloyalty with the number of X-box consumers that purchased the original, combine that with the demand for this one and you know that there has been even more customers interested in this machine than the first one. I know this for a fact because I bought both systems and in 2001 the line and madness was nowhere near as long or crazy as it was for the 360.

I'll say it again, you're just a Microsoft homer. I'll gladly pay 500 bucks for a PS3, given all of the capabilities of the system itself. 360 was 400 dollars so you can put as many of :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: as you want, doesnt really make a difference in your post

For the record I like both systems, I think it's funny how ppl like yourself jump to arms immediately and start trying to down the system

I am not downing the system, the problem is Sony is getting into a fight with the largest company out there. Turning these machines into a base for interent and potential computing abilities they do not have the same resources as Microsoft.

The problem with Sony is they try and to much on something and kill it, look at the Clie's they faded because they added to much to it. PS2 is a good machine, PS3 looks great, but who is going to spend $500 on it plus an additional $70 for the games. Yes this is a great machine but Sony is going to find a way to make money off it, even if it kills the consumer.

Microsoft has the edge right now because of the jump, just like Sony did in the first round. When Sony finally releases this machine the XBOX 360 will be $250, half of what this machine will be.

I am not downing the system, the problem is Sony is getting into a fight with the largest company out there. Turning these machines into a base for interent and potential computing abilities they do not have the same resources as Microsoft.

The problem with Sony is they try and to much on something and kill it, look at the Clie's they faded because they added to much to it. PS2 is a good machine, PS3 looks great, but who is going to spend $500 on it plus an additional $70 for the games. Yes this is a great machine but Sony is going to find a way to make money off it, even if it kills the consumer.

Microsoft has the edge right now because of the jump, just like Sony did in the first round. When Sony finally releases this machine the XBOX 360 will be $250, half of what this machine will be.

It's actually going to be between $300 and $400. And they should be charging less than that if they don't redesign those retarded "controllers".

I'm glad that this isn't coming out for awhile. I'm getting XB360 for Chanukah/Birthday (closer to my b-day, in February), and I'm going to save a portion of my monthly allowance to buy this. And somewhere in there I'll still have to be able to afford beer. And no, Natty Light isn't beer.

If you want a good beer that is pretty cheap go Bud Select, it is Bud without the crappy after taste :cheers:

Archived