Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ali-G in trouble...

Spaceman Spiff

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/11/25/kazakhstan.comedian.reut/index.html?section=cnn_showbiz

Sue me, 'Ali G' tells Kazakhstan

Friday, November 25, 2005; Posted: 7:30 a.m. EST (12:30 GMT)

Cohen portrays a spoof Kazakh television presenter named Borat.

Quick Shipping Hair Care Products

SaLerm, Nioxin, Alter Ego, Sebastian, Affirm, Biolage, Biosilk, Mizani, Paul...

ibeautyny.com

Joe Rocket Apparel and Gear Wholesale

Phoenix jackets from $69.99, Ballistic 4.0 jacket - $149.99, MotoXoutlet sells...

www.motoxoutlet.com

Alter Ego at Shopping.com

Find, compare and buy Watches and other Jewelry and Watches products from top...

www.shopping.com

More Useful Links

• Sporting Goods

• Distance Learning

• Online Book Store

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS

Offbeat

Kazakhstan

Entertainment (general)

or Create Your Own

Manage Alerts | What Is This?

ALMATY, Kazakhstan (Reuters) -- A British comedian who uses a boorish, sexist and racist Kazakh alter ego called Borat to poke fun at interviewees has responded to a legal threat from the Kazakh authorities by satirically welcoming the move.

Sacha Baron Cohen, who plays the spoof Kazakh television reporter in his "Da Ali G Show", incurred the wrath of Kazakhstan's Foreign Ministry this month after appearing as Borat at the annual MTV Europe Music Awards.

He described shooting dogs for fun and said his wife could not leave Kazakhstan as she was a woman. The Foreign Ministry said his behavior was unacceptable and that Cohen might be serving political orders to tarnish Kazakhstan's reputation.

Responding in character as Borat, Cohen, who is Jewish, said: "I like to state, I have no connection with Mr Cohen and fully support my government's position to sue this Jew."

"Since 2003 ... Kazakhstan is as civilized as any other country in the world," he said on his Web site, www.borat.kz.

"Women can now travel on inside of bus, homosexuals no longer have to wear blue hat and age of consent has been raised to eight years old."

One Western diplomat in the Central Asian state's biggest city Almaty said he at least partly sympathized with the Kazakh government in trying to set the record straight.

"They are damned if they do (respond) and damned if they don't," he said. "It's sort of unfortunate that he hit upon Kazakhstan."

The most suprising thing about Ali G show(this isnt pertaining to Borat, but his main character) was when he would interview heavy weight politicians, oddly it was the leftists that got angry at him and the righties would roll with it. The most classic one was andy rooney, I thought Sacha was gonna get hurt by rooney he got so mad. I would have really thought it would have been the other way arround.

Did he ever catch on here? I saw his HBO show, but you almost never heard of him and I havent seen him on again.

The most suprising thing about Ali G show(this isnt pertaining to Borat, but his main character) was when he would interview heavy weight politicians, oddly it was the leftists that got angry at him and the righties would roll with it.

You obviously didn't see his interview with Newt Gingrich.

"Don't you think people should get more welfare the longer they is on the dole? If I got a job, and I stay in that job, I get a raise, right?"

You obviously didn't see his interview with Newt Gingrich.

"Don't you think people should get more welfare the longer they is on the dole? If I got a job, and I stay in that job, I get a raise, right?"

though I didn't see that particular interview, that quote doesn't really contradict what dreamingwolf was referring to. ;)

Archived