Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#2 WR's moving up to #1, and failing.

Dan T.

Speculation about Reggie Wayne leaving the Colts to get out of Marvin Harrison's shadow (with many on this board hoping he would come here) got me to thinking about other wide receivers who, as #2 guys on their old teams, left to try to become #1's elsewhere. Some have succeeded, but many have failed.

The first prototype for failure I can remember was Alvin Harper, who thrived as the number two with Irvin in Dallas, then flamed out when he moved to the Tampa Bay Bucs. Peerless Price is another oft-mentioned failure as a #1 (with Atlanta) after being a #2 (in Buffalo with Eric Moulds).

What were some of the success stories? And other failures?

Santana Moss is also a good #1 after being #2 to coles in his rookie year

and im sorry to say this but plaxico burres is a pretty good #1 WR

i agree. he is flourishing in new york right now. i wonder how wayne will do. if he comes here, him and moss could be a damn good tandem.

another bust was peerless price. :doh: but now the cowpukes have him to deal with...

Speculation about Reggie Wayne leaving the Colts to get out of Marvin Harrison's shadow (with many on this board hoping he would come here) got me to thinking about other wide receivers who, as #2 guys on their old teams, left to try to become #1's elsewhere. Some have succeeded, but many have failed.

The first prototype for failure I can remember was Alvin Harper, who thrived as the number two with Irvin in Dallas, then flamed out when he moved to the Tampa Bay Bucs. Peerless Price is another oft-mentioned failure as a #1 (with Atlanta) after being a #2 (in Buffalo with Eric Moulds).

Gary Clark left the Redskins to go to the St. Louis Cardinals and you never heard from him again until he retired and came back here.

Jon Jefferson left the Chargers and didn't really do that well with the team he went to (I don't remember who that was).

There are many many more stories like this, so you have a valid point.

Unfotrunately I was right (and took a fair amount of scorn at the time) about Plexico being a big addition for the ignats. At the time I semi-jokingly noted it gave them the tallest 1-2-3 receiving corps in the NFL.

Mushimm Muhhamed with the Panthers last year led the league in recieving yards and touchdowns. The year before as #2 to Steve Smith he had a strong season sa well. This year he isn't doing jack for Chicago as their #1

This one seems a twist on the template. . . I saw Mushim as the #1 guy in Carolina and Smith as the #2. Mushim leaves and then Smith steps up as the #1 with the same team.

Speaking of Carolina, how about Ron Gardner leaving the 'Skins as a #2 and ending up a -what, 3 at best? - at Carolina.

Last week he had 9 catches for 84 yards. Oh wait, those are his totals for the SEASON. :laugh:

Archived