Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We had such a bad draft

Vman2k6

Are you really going to argue about our draft after 10 games?

Stephen Davis didn't really start for us until a few years in the league, was he a bust?

Fred Smoot was the nickel back in his rookie year. Look at Denver, Tatum Bell barely played last year. The list goes on and on, you can judge a draft until after at least 2 seasons have passed.

Here's an impromptu board rule.

The next -- and every -- person who says we drafted two fullbacks when neither guy played fullback in college and neither guy projects to play fullback in the pros gets banned for sheer idiocy. If you have a problem with the draft at least be honest enough to evaluate the players we got and not the fiction you create.

The next -- and every -- person who says we drafted two fullbacks when neither guy played fullback in college and neither guy projects to play fullback in the pros gets banned for sheer idiocy. If you have a problem with the draft at least be honest enough to evaluate the players we got and not the fiction you create.

It's your board and you can make the rules.

But Redskins.com lists the following:

30 Broughton, Nehemiah FB 5-11 250 R The Citadel 11-04-1982

The do have White listed as a RB.

It's your board and you can make the rules.

But Redskins.com lists the following:

30 Broughton' date=' Nehemiah[/color'] FB 5-11 250 R The Citadel 11-04-1982

The do have White listed as a RB.

And, if you actually know the team you're watching you know the Redskins don't play a player at the fullback position, but, use a single back which Nemo plays in the exact role as Clinton. White was being worked as Cooley's backup at H-Back. Cooley recently was listed as the top vote getter at fullback for the Pro Bowl. Does Cooley play fullback too? Or, do you know the team well enough to know how we deploy players?

You KNOW as a fan of this team what position Nemo plays and what position he was drafted to play and you know it was never to be a lead blocker as a fullback for THIS system and this staff. Just as you know that about White. Just as you know that about Cooley. Just as you knew it about Riggins who was also a "fullback" who played in the single back position.

Or, at least define what you think a fullback is so it's understood you know it doesn't mean what people commonly think it means in this system.

And, if you actually know the team you're watching you know the Redskins don't play a player at the fullback position, but, use a single back which Nemo plays in the exact role as Clinton. White was being worked as Cooley's backup at H-Back. Cooley recently was listed as the top vote getter at fullback for the Pro Bowl. Does Cooley play fullback too? Or, do you know the team well enough to know how we deploy players?

You KNOW as a fan of this team what position Nemo plays and what position he was drafted to play and you know it was never to be a lead blocker as a fullback for THIS system and this staff. Just as you know that about White. Just as you know that about Cooley. Just as you knew it about Riggins who was also a "fullback" who played in the single back position.

Or, at least define what you think a fullback is so it's understood you know it doesn't mean what people commonly think it means in this system.

Did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? :D

OK fair enough:

Just to clearfy, Manual White and Broughton were listed as fullbacks when they were drafted - so I think you can make the assumption that we drafted 2 fullbacks..........

Going into the draft I thought we were looking for the following:

1) D back

2) impact pass rusher

3) recevier

Round 1 - Now we did get our D back and that might work out, but at the same time we could have picked up Demarcus Ware instead of Rodgers @ #9. We could have then taken without giving away our 3rd round pick Roddy White the WR from Ala Birmingham or Logan Mankins at Guard from Fresno State who is starting for New England.

I dont know if I'd say, y'all had a bad draft..... but I do think it could've been better.

Campbell?? Who knows he maybe a bust or the next Steve Young....only time will tell? However this was a big risk for a team with a lot of holes to fill.

Way too soon to call Rogers a bust..... but he's not been too impressive so far. But why even draft another CB?? Okay, y'all have a chance to take the first D-Lineman in the draft or the 3rd CB with the 9th pick, COME ON!

Or here's a thought.... Mike Williams! A big, young, potential TD machine, to give Dallas fits for years to come. Heck, USC wears practically the same colors, he would've felt right at home in a Skins uni. Oh well.

Everyone in Dallas lets out a collective sigh of relief.... when Washington picks Carlos Rogers, instead of Merriman or Ware or James , ect., or a Chris Canty in the later rounds. It was obvious to me, that last years skins defense relied on the blitz way too much, they couldn't get pressure without it. Come on, your CB leading the team in sacks with 6, that wont work too long. They should've addressed the DL, now with no 1st this year and not a lot of cap-room, things may get worse before they get better.

:notworthy

I dont know if I'd say, y'all had a bad draft..... but I do think it could've been better.

Campbell?? Who knows he maybe a bust or the next Steve Young....only time will tell? However this was a big risk for a team with a lot of holes to fill.

Way too soon to call Rogers a bust..... but he's not been too impressive so far. But why even draft another CB?? Okay, y'all have a chance to take the first D-Lineman in the draft or the 3rd CB with the 9th pick, COME ON!

Or here's a thought.... Mike Williams! A big, young, potential TD machine, to give Dallas fits for years to come. Heck, USC wears practically the same colors, he would've felt right at home in a Skins uni. Oh well.

Everyone in Dallas lets out a collective sigh of relief.... when Washington picks Carlos Rogers, instead of Merriman or Ware or James , ect., or a Chris Canty in the later rounds. It was obvious to me, that last years skins defense relied on the blitz way too much, they couldn't get pressure without it. Come on, your CB leading the team in sacks with 6, that wont work too long. They should've addressed the DL, now with no 1st this year and not a lot of cap-room, things may get worse before they get better.

:notworthy

Nicely put!

yeah, maybe or the Redskins find the next Charles Mann or Dexter Manley as a middle round pick :)

one never knows.

I have issues with the penalties and mistakes this team commits each week and its focus for 60 minutes. Without resolving these issues even superior talent isn't going to win out.

But if the Redskins had gotten the refs call in Tampa and beaten Oakland to be 7-3 very few people would be looking at the status of Jason Campbell.

Pretty much, yeah :).

I'm mostly getting tired of dumb people. And maybe from now on if something strikes me as dumb I'll just hit ban or something. :).

Wow Art! If you were here I would invite you to Good Guy's sounds like you need a night out and a posh Gentleman's Club! :laugh: :notworthy

yeah, maybe or the Redskins find the next Charles Mann or Dexter Manley as a middle round pick :)

one never knows.

I have issues with the penalties and mistakes this team commits each week and its focus for 60 minutes. Without resolving these issues even superior talent isn't going to win out.

But if the Redskins had gotten the refs call in Tampa and beaten Oakland to be 7-3 very few people would be looking at the status of Jason Campbell.

Bulldod yes you have a point but I also think that the legacy Gibbs brings back here magnifies things. 7-3 is so much better than 5-5. I also tend to think that Gibbs needs to look to go opposite of his tendencies. Why for God's sake would he call so many pass plays the second half? That boggles my mind.

Jason Campbell might end up being a star, but if you think you are just a player or 2 away from being very good (pass rusher, receiver) why don't you do what you have to do to get the player you need. If you don't feel you are close to winning then take Campbell and play him now and work on filling the gaps for the next few years.

Going into the draft we were looking for H-backs to make this offense work. The H-back is arguably the most important position in Gibbs offense and before last year all we had there was high hopes for Cooley to develop(which he has). The two were also brought in for short yardage situations where CP struggled. Both were solid runners their senior seasons and with Sellars out we are likely to see one of them brought up and get a few goaline carries.

We did need players at other positions though.

OK fair enough:

Just to clearfy, Manual White and Broughton were listed as fullbacks when they were drafted - so I think you can make the assumption that we drafted 2 fullbacks..........

Who listed them as fullbacks? What position did they play in college? What position did the project on our team to play in the pros? Why would you make an assumption that we drafted two fullbacks when we drafted zero fullbacks based on past history or projected use. Other than a draft guide listing them at fullback, what reason do you have to call them such in our offense with what you were told?

Weren't you told IMMEDIATELY by Gibbs that Nemo would be used as a backup to Portis and Betts and that White looked like he might have H-Back skills to back up Cooley? So, again, why would you make a false statement repeatedly?

Who listed them as fullbacks? What position did they play in college? What position did the project on our team to play in the pros? Why would you make an assumption that we drafted two fullbacks when we drafted zero fullbacks based on past history or projected use. Other than a draft guide listing them at fullback, what reason do you have to call them such in our offense with what you were told?

Weren't you told IMMEDIATELY by Gibbs that Nemo would be used as a backup to Portis and Betts and that White looked like he might have H-Back skills to back up Cooley? So, again, why would you make a false statement repeatedly?

I think a part of his point is that had these players been drafted later on in the draft by other teams, they would have been drafted to play the fullback position. Although this holds little relevance to their role on the Washington Redskins, what it does mean is that their value on draft day was that of a fullback, which would make drafting Manuel White in the fourth instead of a position the Redskins (at least in the eyes of the fanbase) needed more a bad decision.

I think the point he is trying to make is that the two players were listed as fullbacks, and every major draft resource had them listed as so (CNNSI, ESPN, etc). You "drafted two fullbacks" although you are correct that they are not used as such.

I think that made sense. :cheers:

the Redskins have not drafted a defensive lineman in the top 2 picks of any draft since 1997. that is the longest such streak in the NFL. not coincidentally, the Redskins 15 sacks rank lower than all but 5 other teams in the league at present.

you reap what you sow.

the Skins have high picks on the offensive line and at the skill positions but outside of Cornelius Griffin have refused to make any significant investments in the DL.

now that he is out there is simply no more threat. Daniels and Wynn don't get close the qb. only Chris Clemons gets any pressure and the Raiders started chipping him after his plays in the first quarter.

the line from Greg Blache about Arrington not being the team's best pass rusher is comical given the stats. No, Arrington is not a polished rusher, but moving him around and having him come off the edge AS A LINEBACKER and not a down linemen I think can produce better results than what we have seen to this point.

I think a part of his point is that had these players been drafted later on in the draft by other teams, they would have been drafted to play the fullback position. Although this holds little relevance to their role on the Washington Redskins, what it does mean is that their value on draft day was that of a fullback, which would make drafting Manuel White in the fourth instead of a position the Redskins (at least in the eyes of the fanbase) needed more a bad decision.

I think the point he is trying to make is that the two players were listed as fullbacks, and every major draft resource had them listed as so (CNNSI, ESPN, etc). You "drafted two fullbacks" although you are correct that they are not used as such.

I think that made sense. :cheers:

Their value on draft day was not that of a fullback to the Washington Redskins since we don't actually use fullbacks. The value on draft day clearly was that of an H-Back and that of a big running back, both areas of obvious and clear need as much as any other we had in the later rounds, something no fan of this team would suggest to the contrary given it was well known we had no clear H-Back depth and no bruising running back in a system often kindly disposed to both.

Matt Jones, taken by the Jags, was listed as a tight end by CNNSI and projected as a receiver by most teams and played QB in college. Did Jacksonville draft a quarterback, tight end or a receiver with that pick? Obviously they drafted a receiver, which is where they projected him to fit. Because an NFL draft guide projects a player in a position he never played in college doesn't mean that's the position he projects to play in the pros.

The Redskins didn't draft a single fullback because they don't use fullbacks. The Redskins did draft a backup running back and a backup H-Back though. That was clear all along. And, it needs to start being clear to fans of this franchise, else, I'll wonder what they're doing.

Archived