Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The biggest mistake of the pre-Gibbs Synder era.

Commander PK

I think letting Johnson go was a bad move for the short-term. I'm not too impressed with how he's playing right now. You can't possibly credit him for their win vs. NY or GB...

However, for the 2001-2003 seasons, I think he'd have definitely been an upgrade over who we played.

I don't think anyone thinks Johnson is the answer at QB right now.

But from 2001 to 2003, he would have been better than anyone we had. We probably would have been a better option last year too.

In my what if? scenario, we would be in Year 5 of the Marty Era right now. Johnson would be the back-up. Some young guy would be transitioning into the starting role. And Marty is probably talking about hanging it up next year.

I don't think anyone thinks Johnson is the answer at QB right now.

But from 2001 to 2003' date=' he would have been better than anyone we had. We probably would have been a better option last year too.

In my what if? scenario, we would be in Year 5 of the Marty Era right now. Johnson would be the back-up. Some young guy would be transitioning into the starting role. And Marty is probably talking about hanging it up next year.[/quote']

Gotcha...I wouldn't mind that scenario.

Actually, from what I've heard, Marty was planning on targeting Jake Delhomme for the 2002 season. Imagine if Brad played 2002 and then Delhomme took over starting in 2003...not bad at all...

Oh well, at least Gibbs is back!

:point2sky

Brad Johnson isn't sexy, he just puts W's in the win column. Stupid move to say the least.

Don't get me started on Jeff George. What kind of ****ing idiot willingly invites cancer into his organization?

Hey, over half this board wants to pick up TO if the arbitrator decides he must be cut by Philly. He's more of a cancer than George. Lotta ****ing idiots around here.

Just to reiterate. . . Brad Johnson wins. He doesn't ever look all that great, but he wins. I saw some posters hating on Brad this year, but he is 3-0. That is how his whole career has gone. He won the Super Bowl, but it wasn't him. (Remember Gruden didn't even want to start him that season). He took us to the playoffs, but it wasn't him. (We brought in Jeff George). Poor Brad gets no love, but keeps on winning.

I'm only mentioning the players that went off to be successful elsewhere. I did forget Hostetler though. He was a good QB.

I added Gus, because he did a decent job backing up Culpepper in Minnesota, and he's doing a decent job in Miami.

Who would have thought Gus would still be playing proffesional football in 2005? :laugh:

I guess we have differing opinions on what decent is. The Dolphins just lost 22-0 to Cleveland. Sounds like Gus is still the same ol' "Journeyman" Gus.

Brad was busted when we let him go. I choose to not look back.

Brad Johnson is not a bad QB, but better than Brunell? Are you kidding? His career TD/INT ratio is almost exactly 1.5/1, Brunell at just over 1.6/1, and his QB rating has gone up and down throughout his career. His rating averages at 83.8 career, and Brunell at 84. The difference is that Brunell is consistant atleast. Whereas Johnson goes from 90 to 70 and back and forth from one season to another..

About the Vikings being 3-0 under him...He has not played well except for the game against a dwindling Detroit team. His rating has been under 70 in his last 2 games with no TD's and a pick.

The only reason they're 3-0 is because of the great play of their defense as of late and they special teams.

Brad Johnson is not a bad QB, but better than Brunell? Are you kidding? His career TD/INT ratio is almost exactly 1.5/1, Brunell at just over 1.6/1, and his QB rating has gone up and down throughout his career. His rating averages at 83.8 career, and Brunell at 84. The difference is that Brunell is consistant atleast. Whereas Johnson goes from 90 to 70 and back and forth from one season to another..

About the Vikings being 3-0 under him...He has not played well except for the game against a dwindling Detroit team. His rating has been under 70 in his last 2 games with no TD's and a pick.

The only reason they're 3-0 is because of the great play of their defense as of late and they special teams.

You're missing the point of the thread, I think. No one is saying that Brad Johnson is better than Brunell right now.

The argument is that we should have kept him all along. He was better than Jeff George in 2000. He was better than George and Banks and Graham in 2001. He was better than all the Gators and Ramsey in 2002 and 2003. He was probably better than Brunell last year.

The point is that we've had nothing but QB instability since the day he left until the moment Brunell hit Moss for that first TD in Dallas.

There are so many bad moves from 1988 to 2003' date=' it's hard to pick one.

It's easier to fit together a "what if" scenario. Imagine a Marty-coached team with Brad Johnson at quarterback and Stephen Davis at running back and with Lavar reaching his full potential on defense, which seemed to be happening under Marty. Is there any way that team fails to win 10 to 11 games a year over three years?[/quote']

I am in complete agreement with you there -- IMO one of the worse losses we suffered is Bobby Beatherd -- I think that if we still had him we wouldn't have a lot of the problems we are complaining about now :2cents: :)

You're missing the point of the thread' date=' I think. No one is saying that Brad Johnson is better than Brunell right now.

The argument is that we should have kept him all along. He was better than Jeff George in 2000. He was better than George and Banks and Graham in 2001. He was better than all the Gators and Ramsey in 2002 and 2003. He was probably better than Brunell last year.

The point is that we've had nothing but QB instability since the day he left until the moment Brunell hit Moss for that first TD in Dallas.[/quote']

i think our qb instability can actually extend as far back as Joey T -- granted we have had some quality guys in that position but never for very long -- of course free agency screws up alot of teams in regard to longevity

Biggest mistakes ehh, how is it possible that no one even mentioned SPURRIER. I mean I'll be the first to admit I was optimistic about the ol ball coach at first, then after the first 5 games I saw what we were in for. We were nothing more than the Washington Gators during that time, he *(***d up our roster and we're still paying for it. Hell we'd have been 2-14 hadn't Marvin been D-Cord that first year. Spurrier can suck a game****.

Biggest mistakes ehh, how is it possible that no one even mentioned SPURRIER. I mean I'll be the first to admit I was optimistic about the ol ball coach at first, then after the first 5 games I saw what we were in for. We were nothing more than the Washington Gators during that time, he *(***d up our roster and we're still paying for it. Hell we'd have been 2-14 hadn't Marvin been D-Cord that first year. Spurrier can suck a game****.

I still can't call the Spurrier hiring a "mistake." The NFL had been trying to get him in the league for years, and pretty much any owner in Snyder's position would have done that.

The risk was that Spurrier's offense wouldn't work here, but that was a risk worth taking.

What no one could have predicted was how miserable Spurrier was going to be in the NFL. I think he hated every second he spent in Washington.

But - all things being equal - you have to hire Spurrier if he is available. It would be like having the chance to bring Coach K to the NBA and not doing it.

I thought we should have given the general a chance. I thought he was trying to right the ship, so we went out and got ourselves a bonafide college offensive genius. Unfortunately, that didn't translate too well in the NFL. I agree whole heartedly about the stubblefield and wilkinson moves. Bad bad bad! I was not really a fan of trung candidate either. Letting stephen Davis was the worst ever.

I guess we have differing opinions on what decent is. The Dolphins just lost 22-0 to Cleveland. Sounds like Gus is still the same ol' "Journeyman" Gus.

Brad was busted when we let him go. I choose to not look back.

Sage rosenfels started for Miami I believe but i could be wrong.

I'd say hiring Marty in the first place, and THEN firing him after just one year. Both big mistakes IMHO.

Marty had a rep as a disaplinarian coming in and the team sorely needed that from him.

Remember how they came apart on Robiskie at the end of the year?

Scary stuff. Snyder made the right choice in Marty. Marty took the bull by the horns and handled things. He kicked some ass, straightened some finances and cut some corners on his way to an 8 - 8 season. Kurt was ok too. Arrington had a fine rookie year under Kurt.

But Snyder would be snyder and Marty only wanted the control he had been promised and it was over.

But where would we be now if Snyder were smarter than that?

Just think If Snyder had not wanted a big Flashy name in there we could have had after MArty. wheres the drum roll?

Marvin Lewis. Look at what he has done in Cincy. Had he hired Marvin we would have had 4 years of Stability in this organization.

Wow, Marvin! Good call.

The two moves I disliked most.....

the Marty firing

the Spurrier hiring

The biggest disappointment to me was..

replacing Brad Johnson with Jeff "Cancer" George

saw that travesty coming a mile away

I remember everybody teasing me when we hired Marty that he couldn't win in the playoffs. I was like "Are you kidding?" at least we'll get there once in awhile !!!!

Archived