Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The biggest mistake of the pre-Gibbs Synder era.

Commander PK

Was letting Brad Johnson go.

I swear, all the guy does is win. What a collossal error that was, to replace him with Jeff George.

Since becoming the starter in Minnesota he is 3-0. What a terrible, terrible, terrible, error in judgement. I was just watching the game, and that point was driven home yet again tonight. In retrospect, I can't think of a bigger error commited in the Snyder era. What was he thinking? What was Norv thinking for letting him have that much influence?

I know this is all really pointless now, but it just disheartened me to watch another one we let get away tonight. Adds to the frustration. What could have been if we had kept him. Oh well. :helmet:

You forgot a few.

Rich Gannon, Stan Humphries, Trent Green, Gus Frerotte, Brad Johnson, Heath Shuler, John Freisz, Jeff Hostetler, Jeff George, Tony Banks, Todd Husak, Sage Rosenfels, Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerfell, Patrick Ramsey, Mark Brunell, and soon to be Jason Campbell.

It sucks doesn't it?

I don't think its letting BJ go. He really wasn't playing too hot in 2000 to be honest (although injuries had a huge part of it) He didn't play great the 2nd half of 1999 either

Really, had we been able to keep Trent Green things would have been FAR different.

In that 1999 draft we could have had Champ and Jevon Kearse which really would have set the D for a decade (along with Lavar the following year)

We would have had an extra 2nd and 3rd in that draft also.

Missing out on that 1999 draft was huge. I honestly thought it could have been like the 1989 Cowboys draft and really set us up well

If we had ownership in place, and a new young coach in place (new ownership firing Norv and maybe Charlie) I think we'd really be in the midst of a Super Bowl run now

You forgot a few.

Rich Gannon, Stan Humphries, Trent Green, Gus Frerotte, Brad Johnson, Heath Shuler, John Freisz, Jeff Hostetler, Jeff George, Tony Banks, Todd Husak, Sage Rosenfels, Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerfell, Patrick Ramsey, Mark Brunell, and soon to be Jason Campbell.

I'm only mentioning the players that went off to be successful elsewhere. I did forget Hostetler though. He was a good QB.

I added Gus, because he did a decent job backing up Culpepper in Minnesota, and he's doing a decent job in Miami.

Who would have thought Gus would still be playing proffesional football in 2005? :laugh:

It sucks doesn't it?

I don't think its letting BJ go. He really wasn't playing too hot in 2000 to be honest (although injuries had a huge part of it) He didn't play great the 2nd half of 1999 either

Yes, yes, but replacing him with Jeff George? After he nearly takes us to the NFC championship? One thing that was clearly lacking here was patience, with anybody, and in the end we got nothing out of brash moves. I"m glad Snyder is sitting back, and doing what he does best now. Figuring out ways to make the Redskins a financial juggernaut.

Yes, yes, but replacing him with Jeff George? After he nearly takes us to the NFC championship? One thing that was clearly lacking here was patience, with anybody, and in the end we got nothing out of brash moves. I"m glad Snyder is sitting back, and doing what he does best now. Figuring out ways to make the Redskins a financial juggernaut.

I agree. That was a mistake

The bigger mistake was, and really not the organizations fault because technicially in late 1998 and early 1999 there was NO organization, was letting Trent Green go

If the NFL had an owner before FA started in 1999, this team would be far different today

Who would have thought Gus would still be playing proffesional football in 2005? :laugh:

Alot of our former QBs seem to have gone on with long careers. You mentioned Frerotte, Green, and Brad Johnson. If we had stuck with Green or Johnson these past 6 years instead of going through our litany of quarterbacks (Jeff George, Tony Banks, Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerfel, Patrick Ramsey, and now Mark Brunell), well, imagine what other needs we could have addressed and where we would be.

And looking back it is incredible the misfourtune of losing JKC in 1997

The team was in limbo for a full 2 seasons not knowing what would happen, and it came to a head after the 1998 season

I don't doubt JKC would have canned both Turner and Casserly that offseason, Norval for being a boob, and Casserly for wasting his cash for the past 5 years

If JKC had a chance to get another young GM/coach in, and with the picks we were sitting on, and Trent Green stayed, imagine the possibilities

Unfourtantley we no longer had the greatest owner in sports around, and were basically in late 1998 being run like the Nationals are now, very unsure and unaware of what the future might be

The Rams signed Trent Green for 4 years and 16 million. We could have probably kept him for 13-15 million to be honest if there was stability and really cashed in on that 1999 draft

Sigh

I agree. That was a mistake

The bigger mistake was, and really not the organizations fault because technicially in late 1998 and early 1999 there was NO organization, was letting Trent Green go

If the NFL had an owner before FA started in 1999, this team would be far different today

I really can't argue with you, so many mistakes were made. Letting Trent Green go was an equally big mistake, but Brad won a Super Bowl (albeit with an incredible defense to back him up) that's the only reason I choose him.

Trent has yet to lead his team to the promised land. Admittedly, most of the Chief's problems have been on Defense though.

Was letting Brad Johnson go.

I thought the biggest mistake of the pre-Gibbs era (forget Snyder) was trading the #11 draft pick & a 3rd rounder for Brad Johnson.

Close second was a 1rst & 3rd round pick Dan Wilkinson.

Third was overpaying for Dana Stubblefield.

All of them out did any of the moves, the media has blasted Snyder for. All courtesy of Charlie Casserly.

I thought the biggest mistake of the pre-Gibbs era (forget Snyder) was trading the #11 draft pick & a 3rd rounder for Brad Johnson.

All of them out did any of the moves, the media has blasted Snyder for. All courtesy of Charlie Casserly.

Well, it might have panned out though. If Brad had been given a chance to succeed here before being run out of town for the bone-headed, rocket-armed prick Jeff George.

Absolutely correct about the Wilkinson and Stubblefield moves. Add those to the list.

Hey, didn't that Brad Johnson guy win a Super Bowl? He could have won one here instead if it weren't for Dan Snyder's meddling ass insisting on Jeff George. That 1999 team was money overall. Stephen Davis went on to play in the big game. Do you know how many TD's he has this year? Its ridiculous, like 20 or so. I get mad every time I think about Snyder breaking that team up. That is why Norv beat us on Sunday. It was poetic justice.

There are so many bad moves from 1988 to 2003, it's hard to pick one.

It's easier to fit together a "what if" scenario. Imagine a Marty-coached team with Brad Johnson at quarterback and Stephen Davis at running back and with Lavar reaching his full potential on defense, which seemed to be happening under Marty. Is there any way that team fails to win 10 to 11 games a year over three years?

I'd say hiring Marty in the first place

Thank you!!! I was soooo ticked off when we hired Schotferbrains!!

The worst decision was...trading up in the 2000 draft. The cap space that Arrington and Samuels eat up has prevented us from being able to sign any depth or decent lineman, and the ridiculous signing bonuses we gave out to extend them will likely destroy Gibbs II. :(

I'd say hiring Marty in the first place, and THEN firing him after just one year. Both big mistakes IMHO.

That's actually true.

I think Marty is a very good coach and would have done great things here if given a chance. However, I pretty much knew from the beginning that the marriage of Marty and Danny was doomed to failure, mostly because Marty seemed to always regard Danny as an impatient child. Granted, he probably was an impatient child at that point, but he was still the owner.

Anyway, the Marty Year is probably the oddest hiccup of the entire Snyder regime, because it was the one time where everything could have easily worked out...but there was not chance it was ever going to work out because of the personalities involved.

Nothing in my mind will replace the signing of Deion Sanders. A huge signing bonus for a position we didn't even have a need for.

Brad Johnson comes in second.

I don't think hiring Marty was a mistake considering the field available.

Firing him after one year definitely a close third.

Chris Samuels was the biggest mistake. What a terrible 3rd overall pick. In fact, the top of that 2000 draft has stunk it up all around.

Brian Urlacher at 3 maybe?

A better bet would have been to get DE John Abraham at 12, and DT Chris Hovan or SS Mike Brown at 23. Oh hindsight is so wonderful.

I agree with this, though Snyder was not owner for that move - it was Casserly/Turner all the way. I like Brad Johnson a lot but to invest those picks in him and then let him go was about as bad as it gets. Either you see it through and resign the guy when his contract was up or you don't make the trade at all. It was actually a 1st, 3rd, and 2nd the following season for 2 years of Brad Johnson. :doh:

If I had it to do all over again, I keep Trent Green and use that #11 on Kearse or Culpepper. The 1999 draft was one of the deepest ever.

http://drafthistory.com/years/1999.html

Archived