Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does everyone realize we actually DO have a first round pick next year??

kleese

I hate to sound like an apologist, but it really irks me when people don't consider things before making statements. Right now, I hear a lot of people lamenting the fact that we don't have a first rounder next year-- and that it's another sign of FO ineptitude.

But we DO have a first rounder next year.

It's just that we already know who it is:

Jason Campbell

We chose to take TWO first rounders in this past draft, rather than spread them out into two drafts-- I have NO problem with that.

I look at Jason Campbell as if he isn't even on the team right now. I approach it as if Ramsey and Brunell are our only QB's. Then, we add Campbell to the mix with next year's first round pick.

As far as I'm concerned, our 2006 draft looks like this:

First round: Jason Campbell

Second Round: ?????

Etc....

Gibbs KNEW Campbell wasn't going to make an impact in 2005. He clearly had no confidence in Ramsey and wanted to make sure that we had a QB to groom for the future. He probably looked ahead to the QB class of 2006 and saw a pretty dry well after Leinert. Obviously, the team liked Campbell and felt he was worthy of a first round pick. Time will tell on that.

As important as D line is and as badly as I want a pass rusher, NOTHING is more important than QB. And I'm glad the Redskins have recognized that. We've invested first rounders into two recent QB;'s (Shuler and Ramsey) that haven't worked out-- but you can't just brush it aside and ignore it because you failed with it in the past.

People act as if we just GAVE that first rounder away for nothing. We did get a player out of the deal-- whether he turns out to be any good is still up in the air, but we did get something. And he's actually a pretty integral part of the future now.

So please stop telling me that we threw away a first round pick because our 2006 selection is already on the sideline.

The Skins got Campbell. They gave up a 3rd rounder this year and a first and fourth rounder next year. The 3rd round pick turned out to be CB Karl Paymah. Right now, the first rounder would be the 14th pick in the draft.

So your way of looking at things -- that the Skins have already drafted for 2006 -- says that the Skins way overpaid for Campbell. They used #14 pick on him (plus two others). So you're saying that 2006 is already a pretty lousy draft.

I have another way of looking at things: that was last year. It's behind us. Nothing we can do about it. Second-guessing is fun, but the Skins certainly will need a QB next year so they're lucky Campbell has a year of seasoning. Ramsey will be gone, and Brunell might have a year or two left if he can stay healthy. That's a pretty shaky lineup. Campbell better have learned something on the bench.

That is a brilliant way of looking at things. Except for the fact that we could have gotten production this year for our picks. At least we didn't use that pick on a QB with one solid season at the college level. Good thing we left the D-line troubles to Phillip Daniels and Rynaldo Wynn, good thing we decided on Patten as being one of our go-to WRs. Oh wait...

Sh@#

That is a brilliant way of looking at things. Except for the fact that we could have gotten production this year for our picks. At least we didn't use that pick on a QB with one solid season at the college level. Good thing we left the D-line troubles to Phillip Daniels and Rynaldo Wynn, good thing we decided on Patten as being one of our go-to WRs. Oh wait...

Sh@#

I'm with this guy. I like Campbell and all, but we arent a team built for the future. We are a team built to win now, and we could have gotten better through the draft and we didnt.

Sh@#

Don't be so short-sighted. Gibbs has said repeatedly that his plan was to leave the Redskins in good shape for the long-term - and no position is important for long-term NFL success than a QB.

Jason Campbell had more than a solid season - he was arguably the best QB in the land last season. Moreover, he was about as perfect a fit for Gibbs' system and Gibbs' personality preference as one player could be.

The good thing about the Redskins DE need is that they don't need to draft an all-around DE that can both stop the run and the pass. They have the DEs that can stop the run already. Instead, the Redskins need situational pass rushers - these guys can be had in the 2nd round and in the FA market. Young franchise QBs can't.

that has been the problem with this team since 2000, always trying to be the team of the moment instead of building patiently to be the team of the future.

the BS about having to make moves because of the cap is garbage.

the Colts have managed to keep Manning, Harrison, Wayne and James together under the cap.

the Chargers have Palmer, Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson to build around on offense.

the truth is the Redskins simply lacked the patience to use the draft as leverage to a brighter future.

Think best case scenarios. Would you rather have the next Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Carson Palmer for the next 10 years?

Or Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, or Shawn Merrimen for the next 10 years?

Now, it's unlikely that Campbell will achieve this level but so too is it unlikely that our 2006 1st round defensive end (whoever he may have been) would achieve that level too. However, if that pick we gave up turns out to be the next Julius Peppers but we landed our Carson Palmer, would you do it all over again? Of coure you would. :)

I don't think the Redskins are going to win a Super Bowl with Patrick Ramsey at quarterback. So am I glad to have Jason Campbell on the roster, anticipating that Bill Musgrave knows what to look for in a qb? Yes.

The Redskins are not quite ready to take the league by storm and when they are #17 is likely to be the starting quarterback.

I hate to sound like an apologist, but it really irks me when people don't consider things before making statements. Right now, I hear a lot of people lamenting the fact that we don't have a first rounder next year-- and that it's another sign of FO ineptitude.

But we DO have a first rounder next year.

It's just that we already know who it is:

Jason Campbell

We chose to take TWO first rounders in this past draft, rather than spread them out into two drafts-- I have NO problem with that.

I look at Jason Campbell as if he isn't even on the team right now. I approach it as if Ramsey and Brunell are our only QB's. Then, we add Campbell to the mix with next year's first round pick.

As far as I'm concerned, our 2006 draft looks like this:

First round: Jason Campbell

Second Round: ?????

Etc....

Gibbs KNEW Campbell wasn't going to make an impact in 2005. He clearly had no confidence in Ramsey and wanted to make sure that we had a QB to groom for the future. He probably looked ahead to the QB class of 2006 and saw a pretty dry well after Leinert. Obviously, the team liked Campbell and felt he was worthy of a first round pick. Time will tell on that.

As important as D line is and as badly as I want a pass rusher, NOTHING is more important than QB. And I'm glad the Redskins have recognized that. We've invested first rounders into two recent QB;'s (Shuler and Ramsey) that haven't worked out-- but you can't just brush it aside and ignore it because you failed with it in the past.

People act as if we just GAVE that first rounder away for nothing. We did get a player out of the deal-- whether he turns out to be any good is still up in the air, but we did get something. And he's actually a pretty integral part of the future now.

So please stop telling me that we threw away a first round pick because our 2006 selection is already on the sideline.

:doh:

OK so we have Jason Campbell next year.

How will we improve our d-line, corners, o-line, wide reciever?

Gotta agree with Kleese. The firsts cancel out. We still have a first, we jsut used it already. Look, Denver didn't have a first this season. They did the same thing we did, just from the opposite side. All we did was trade a third and a fourth for the guy we wanted ahead of time. Simple enough.

And Denver also wasted a pick on Clarett on top of no first this season, so I say it evens out.

We just have to hope Campbell is a franchise QB. Right now, I'd sure trade him and Rogers for Smoot, Pierce, Ware/Mike Williams and our 1st round draft pick next year back.

I don't know how many times I gotta write this but...

I wouldn't trade a half eaten dry tuna sandwhich for Fred Smoot.

Fred Smoot Sucks.

Fred Smoot sucks.

The thing that I dont like is that we've really bet the farm on Jason Campbell. If hes a bust we're set back a long way and Joe gibbs 2nd tenure will probably be considered a flop.

He's not even playing yet. Thus far, Campbell has had nothing to do with how the Skins have performed under Gibbs' 2nd tenure here.

I'm actually siked to see how JC will turn out. However, hopefully that won't be too soon.......

yea but look at the draft this year can u say sick draft class yea we r missing out on players far beyond cambells talent

i mean hes the future but wen will the future play?

BINGO not only do we not have a first round pick this year, our second round pick won't be till late and this draft is loaded at the top.

What I hate is Rogers hasn't shown much, he is a top 10 pick and yet to make any impact, maybe we could have gotten Ware instead now, oh well.

Archived