Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Max Protect

Khun Kao

Is it me, or does it seem that Joe Gibbs Offensive Scheme has led to a resurgence of max protect schemes in the NFL?

It seems that every week we're seeing more & more teams using Max Protect schemes (especially AGAINST us) and only sending 2 receivers out on routes. I don't recall this being the case in years past. Seems to me that most teams were using 3-4 receiver sets up until last year, and now teams have started to re-adopt max protect schemes....

Whatcha think?

He definitely has started a trend. Unfortunately our max protect schemes are largely a product of Chris Samuels' incompetance in pass protection. If we can get a better left tackle, we could be a more dynamic offense, but I'm fine with our prodution so far.

I think Gibbs noticed something before anyone else did. The new 5-yard rule, that allows receivers to run free of contact now, gives them a much better shot at catching balls. So now you see more guys like S.Moss and Smith making huge impacts in the league. Because of their speed and ability they are now able to use more then before, the max protect schemes are allowing QB's more time to hit those receivers deep.

I don't know if Gibbs has brought it back. It's always been around.

I think that defensese have gotten so good and so complex that a lot of coaches have just given up trying to pass block and said, "Screw it. We're having 7 guys block."

More than anything it's probably due to the re-emergence of the 3-4 defense as everyone is trying to copy what New England and to a lesser extent Pittsburgh do on D.

Greg Williams is influencing the league too, though I have a feeling most coaches find his style too aggressive to live with it for very long.

And, for the record, offenses going to max protect is a victory for the defense.

Most coaches would rather face three receivers in a pass pattern rather than five. An offense in max protect can still be productive if you have a Santana Moss or a Steve Smith running around in the secondary. But most defenses will just respond by going to a zone coverage and saying, "If you can find the holes in the zone for 12 or 13 plays, you can score. But we bet you are going to make a mistake before that."

I think Gibbs noticed something before anyone else did. The new 5-yard rule, that allows receivers to run free of contact now, gives them a much better shot at catching balls. So now you see more guys like S.Moss and Smith making huge impacts in the league. Because of their speed and ability they are now able to use more then before, the max protect schemes are allowing QB's more time to hit those receivers deep.

Especially with receivers that are Moss's size. DBs were clubbing WRs like baby seals a few seasons ago.

I don't know if Gibbs has brought it back. It's always been around.

I realize, of course, that its always been there. I simply mean that it has suddenly become a lot more popular this year. Even last year, it seemed that the Redskins were the only team to be consistently, week-in-week-out using max protect schemes. This year I'm seeing and hearing of lots of teams using this....

....and as mentioned, they use it when they play us!

well, that's all teams play against us to neutralize our blitzing, so you deffinately have been seeing it more

I've seen a few plays of ours copied here and there

you'll see tackles blocking on WR screens more in the league instead of WRs and TEs blocking, which has been standard for a while

Teams with good tightends are using it more, Gibbs is showing something new, not the max protect as much as how it's used. It's like a hot read. The H-back, tightend and running back read the blitz, if there isn't a blitzer in their responsibility then they go out into a pattern if there is, they stay in and protect. So if the defense blitzs heavily they end up in max protect. This is new this year, invented by Gibbs.

He's expanded a "hot read" to not only incorporate change of pattern, but now also blocking assignment and not just chipping. While the outside receivers run mid to long range routes on the outside, verticle routes.

To really make it work though, you need H's, TE's and RB's that can block and be good receivers. AKA Sellers, Cooley and Portis or Betts. But you don't have to change personel to run heavy or spilt out the RB and H into the slot.

Teams with good tightends are using it more, Gibbs is showing something new, not the max protect as much as how it's used. It's like a hot read. The H-back, tightend and running back read the blitz, if there isn't a blitzer in their responsibility then they go out into a pattern if there is, they stay in and protect. So if the defense blitzs heavily they end up in max protect. This is new this year, invented by Gibbs.

He's expanded a "hot read" to not only incorporate change of pattern, but now also blocking assignment and not just chipping. While the outside receivers run mid to long range routes on the outside, verticle routes.

To really make it work though, you need H's, TE's and RB's that can block and be good receivers. AKA Sellers, Cooley and Portis or Betts. But you don't have to change personel to run heavy or spilt out the RB and H into the slot.

Are you just pulling this out of your a**? If not, that's some great insight.

I think this is closer to the truth. The overall talent level of TE's in the league (at least insofar as you're discussing their receiving skills) is probably at an all time high. Just as defenses can blitz with "odd" players and drop "normal" rushers back into zone coverage (aka "zone blitzes"), offenses can switch up their max protect schemes when they have capable TE's by putting them out into pass coverage and keeping the WR's in to block. It makes things more flexible.

Defenses have been bringing the house all over the NFL, and the answer can be either max protect or screen to evade the blitz. Joe Gibbs has one solution, and other coaches have others, but I think when you have playmakers like Santana Moss streaking down the field, that max protect scheme starts to make sense.

He definitely has started a trend. Unfortunately our max protect schemes are largely a product of Chris Samuels' incompetance in pass protection. If we can get a better left tackle, we could be a more dynamic offense, but I'm fine with our prodution so far.

I love hearing people who think they know a little football spout off garbage that they've heard elsewhere from some other imbecile. Chris Samuels has given up a total of 2 sacks so far this year. For him that is an off year. Last year he gave up 2 all season.

So for those who like to ramble off parrotted opinions, try paying attention first and form an opinion yourself based on fact.

Fact is Samuels is doing well. Is he over paid? Possibly, but to say Chris Samuels is incompetent only reveals your own ignorance of the subject.

Archived