Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will players take pay cuts to play here?

Titaw

After this season and the Redskins go to the playoffs, do you think players would take paycuts to play here?

I mean, you get to play for a winning team, a coach that is already on the HOF, and you know that if you come in here ad do your job the fans and the organization will appreciate it and recognize it.

IMHO, I feel that in the next 2-3 years Washington will be one of the most desirable places to play in the NFL!

What are your thoughts?

The "lure" to attract players is created over time...with the prospects of continuous winning seasons and the concept of a strong organization. The Pats and the Iggles exemplify these concepts and are able to attract players. On the other hand, many players within these systems realize an inflated value and tend to seek a big payout based on their contributions to the team. I like to think that if I were a player, I would do anything to play on a Gibbs offense or a Williams defense. Unfortunately, money (sense of value) usually trumps all else.

EDIT: cap space and willingness to spend money is the real "lure" and will always be the case...

Interesting question. I'm not sure that's too realistic these days, though I would like to be proven wrong. I would think if it is possible at all, Gibbs would be one of the guys it could work for. Most of the coaches in the league haven't won one title, much less several.

After this season and the Redskins go to the playoffs, do you think players would take paycuts to play here?

I mean, you get to play for a winning team, a coach that is already on the HOF, and you know that if you come in here ad do your job the fans and the organization will appreciate it and recognize it.

IMHO, I feel that in the next 2-3 years Washington will be one of the most desirable places to play in the NFL!

What are your thoughts?

I've never seen a 5-3 record generate so much hysteria. The team has played pretty well for half a season.

Basically, as long as Mark Brunell's deal with the devil remains intact, we are a potential playoff team. But we are not New England yet.

I just posed this question because when I heard Gibbs was coming back I was thinking to myself give him time and player will want to play for him. I am not trying to be a homer by no means. I just think that I would want to play for a coach that is in the HOF than make a boat load of money and nothing of career to sho for it.

Take the Pats for example besideds Brady, Dillon, Harrison, Bruschi, and McGinnest they have all role players. I just think that Belichick and Gibbs have alot in common as far as coaching styles and I think that players that are needed to win here while being offered a generous deal to somewhere like San Fran or Houston will choose the Redskins.

I don't see it coming to that, if Gibbs or Gregg Williams feel you are important to the Redskins Snyder will pay. The Eagles problem is they don't pay even though they have cap space, NE fills most its team with role players that once the want to much they let walk, David Patten.

Smoot and Pierce both left do to a lack of respect, as they believe, both received offers that were comparable to the ones they signed with Minny and NYG.

Dan Snyder and Co. have become masters of restructuring contracts and with signing bonuses being the only guaranteed part of a contract most players will restructure if the bonus is what they would receive on the open market, Chris Samuels. Players that are not let past their prime will never take a pay cut, restructure sure, but a pay cut no.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

I know three examples of players taking pay cuts to play for a team:

1. Brady signed with NE for far less than his market value in order to help the team sign other players. But I think Brady a) really genuinely loves winning and B) knows that everything he does is based on his "nice guy/team guy" image. He may want to be governor of Massachusetts some day for all I know. And he will probably make up in marketing opportunities everything he lost.

2. Jerome Bettis took a pay cut two years ago to stay with Pittsburgh. Bettis is similar to Brady in that everything is based on his "nice guy" image. I lived in Pittsburgh and I don't think there is any player in the league with more local endorsements than Bettis. He seems to be on every other commercial there. Plus, I think he realizes the end of his career is near and genuinely wanted to win a title in Pittsburgh. Also, I'm not sure he would have commanded very much on the open market before last year.

3. Deion in San Francisco. But Deion let everyone know exactly what he was doing. He was going to rent his services in San Fran, win a title, prove he was a team guy, prove all his detractors wrong, and then go for the huge payday the next year. He did everything exactly as he said.

NFL players don't really seem to do this very often. NBA players do it all the time at the end of their careers. But the difference is longevity. An NFL player only has about five productive years in which they can cash in. If you give up one of those, you are taking a huge huge risk. Karl Malone cashed in for 20 years before going off on his hunt for the title in LA.

With the way Snyder spends and the direction in which the team is going I think that Washington will be a desireable place to play for players who want to be part of a successful team and organization. I think Smoot and Pierce left because they thought they had a better chance of winning where they went AND they were paid a little better. I am willing to bet if the Skins would have had a better record last year Pierce and or Smoot would have stayed.

The only players who might take a pay cut are those who don't play up to expectations (i.e., their contracts). For example, Brunell took a pay cut this offseason, based IMHO on his poor play last year. Winning in general makes every player worth more to other teams, so don't expect any players to take cuts based on us having a good year.

First step is changing the team rep for overspending. I think it's possible that teams may stop coming to Washington only for the big pay day. I want the contract value to be pretty close to production. If that starts to happen, then it will feel like we got them at a discount or at least fair price. We still are more generous than many teams when it comes to players. The second step is to begin drafting better or scouting better. This year's draft class was pretty poor. Two guys cut before their first year,too many need areas left unaddressed.

What are your thoughts?

In today's NFL it doesn't seem likely. :(

Brunell took a pay cut? I missed this.

Well' date=' maybe pay cut is too strong a term. He restructured to save the team $1 mil against the 2005 cap, with the possibility of a pay cut, but he probably wont see the cut because of the team's improved performance this year. From a March 11 Washington Post article there is the following:

Redskins Notes: Mark Brunell's agent, Leigh Steinberg, confirmed the quarterback has restructured his contract to save Washington $1 million under the cap. Steinberg said Brunell, who was scheduled to earn $2 million this season, shifted about half of the money into unlikely-to-be-earned incentives. That category -- in contrast to likely-to-be-earned incentives -- doesn't count against the cap. But Washington must improve in only one of eight offensive categories for Brunell to get his full pay.

"We hope he eventually is the starting quarterback again," Steinberg said. "And it's in Mark's best interest to have the strongest possible roster. When someone like [owner] Dan Snyder needs in essence a favor, if Mark can accommodate, he will." . . .

Archived