Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former Redskins Star Dexter Manley Forcibly Taken To Hospital

d0ublestr0ker0ll

If this was already posted, I didn't find it in the forum or search box.

http://www.nbc4.com/news/5281204/detail.html

Montgomery Police Forced To Subdue Manley

SILVER SPRING, Md. -- Former Washington Redskins star Dexter Manley was forcibly taken to a hospital over the weekend.

It began when Montgomery County police were called to an apartment on East West Highway in Silver Spring for a report of a dispute.

It's unclear what was wrong with Manley, but police said they believe he was dealing with some stress or emotional problems.

Police said Manley initially agreed to go to a hospital for an evaluation but then changed his mind. Officers had to forcibly subdue him. Paramedics were called and Manley eventually was taken to a hospital.

Police said no charges will be filed against Manley.

Manley has battled drug problems in the past.

I always feel bad for Dexter...he spoke at my school when he was in charge of a program that took convicts out of prison to talk to kids about-and raise awareness about the dangers of drugs and gangs and violence, etc... Dexter spoke to us in the end and was tearing up while describing how he was caught trying to eat baggies of crack before the police could find him half passed out on the floor of a Tampa crackhouse...the guy has had to deal with problems most of us couldnt fathom....imagine being an icon of the NFL, having an amazing what... 17 sack season...winning a world championship...all the while hiding the fact that you can not read and can barely write.

The article didnt say if he was on drugs or not but chances are he was...he was doing well for a while thats really sad. :(

Hang in there Dexter!!!

I was just telling my wife how a #72 jersey with Manley on the back autographed by Dexter himself would be the best present in the world. I was even thinking of how I could leave hints for her on how to get in touch with him to have him autograph it. Would anyone here happen to know how to get in touch with him? Doesn't he work for a rehab center..?

Makes me sad. But if the standard for involuntary medical confinement is the same in MD as it is in CA, he had to be considered either a danger to himself or someone else, which is a pretty tough standard to meet. His behavior must truly have been bizarre, to say the least.

Saw him couple times lately at the shopping center at the corner of East-West Highway and Collesvile Road. He obviously lives in apartment building next to the shopping center. Said to him "How are you doing Dexter. Lookin good man.” He grinned back. He did look OK. I wish I had something with me for him to sign.

Dexter, Dexter. Get well man.

Get well Dexter Manley, fight those demons you have inside.

Although I go back in forth with skins fans about Irvin doing coke and Manley doing crack, Irvin has turned his life around. All our thoughts and prayers need to go to Manley.

GUYS I KNOW HE CAN FIGHT AND WIN WHAT EVER IS INSIDE OF HIM , IF WE AS HUMANS (INSTEAD OF FANS OF OUR TEAMS) SHOW HIM UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.

I understand this information is highly confidential and that means unavailable for us. But if we could get his address and then every one of us could send him "Get Well" card. Maybe this expressions of support and love from total strangers could help him in his strugle.

Just an idea.

I was in the doctor's office last week for the yearly physical and picked up older ESPN magazine to read...they had an article on Dexter's son - focused on his football skills and relationship with his dad. Not good...I was disappointed in Dexter Sr., but admittedly that is only one side of the story.

Regardless, I hope Dexter is well and can get back on the right track. He was something to watch back in the day....

Archived