Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Left Side (Play Evans)

method man

This has been the side that has been destroyed by opposing offenses. I think I may know why this side is getting exploited with at least one big run play every week. Last year, our personnel on that side were: D. Evans, Marshall, and Smoot. This year we have: Daniels, Holdman, and Harris. Just comparing the personnel change, tells me that we have gotten a lot weaker on the left side. Last year, if a team ran to the left side, Evans would help to create a smaller gap for the runner and Marshall would finish him off. This year, Daniels can't get outside fast enough and Holdman gets thrown around like a rag doll by the blocker. Harris, who is hurt, ends up missing the runner. While Smoot was small, he was a good tackler. Harris does not seem to be as aggressive as Smoot was in making tackles.

What is the immediate solution? Replace Blache's boy Daniels with Evans, who was the only DL today who got pressure. Last year, I questioned keeping Evans, whom I had never heard of. During the course of the season, my respect for this kid grew. I think that Evans will at least get out there faster than Daniels can. It seems to me that whoever Blache is picking up sucks (this includes Holdman). I also think that Lavar should be used more consistently on the left side. I just do not see a tight end overpowering him. If LaVar does miss a tackle, he has the speed to catch up and attempt another tackle. At the very least, those 70-yard gains will become 15-yard gains.

It wasn't the left side. It was the right side.

At least if you're taking the view of being on the defensive side of the ball facing the offense... that would be the right side.

If you're on the offense looking, then yeah, you could say left. So which view are you on when you say left?

I do like Evans, but I think Shawn Taylor is one of the main players to take the blame. Today and last week I saw him over pursue ALOT. He's too aggressive and instead of playing safety he tries to play lineback and gets sucked into the blocking scheme while the Running back just side steps him and runs around him with no one else back there to save the big run because it was Taylor's responsibility.

Holdman is another one I saw mess up today. He was caught out of position and failed his gap asignment. Taylor and Holdman are guilty more of what Lavar was accused of than Lavar is.

Lavar has taken a lot of heat for not being in the right position, however as you can see with this game, teams are beginning to game-plan with the blitz in mind. We don't have any defensive line pressure that's created and it causes our defense to bring in line-backers and secondary to assist in the blitz. Also Warrick Holdman took extremely bad angles and was waaayy out of position. The guy is service-able, however we need people like Evans to create havok first-upfront and have either Marcus Washington or Lavar come into clean up. Over-all though, today it seemed like everybody was out position. Just an overall breakdown of the team, and on top of that our coaches didn't adjust their game-plan at all in the second half. Get ready to see teams run outside on us all day for the rest of the season, until we find a solution, like your suggestion, D. Evans.

Here is something else. In the post game interview...listen to Daniels. He says "I'm not worried about it"...when commenting about this game.

Always nice to get your a$$ kicked and then say something like that. I would have more respect for somebody who was crying and feeling humiliated...but no respect for somebody who takes an I don't care attitude. Maybe thats why people keep running by him on run plays and on pass plays he acts like there is a 5 yard force field around the QB.

Uh---How bout the absence of our beast DT Cornelius Griffin? Total lack of inside pressure. In addition, I too feel that Evans is a high energy guy and can help collapse the weakside running plays.

I always said Cornelius was one of our most important players that we could not afford to lose. With out him, we have no defense on the line.

Hey method,

I totally agree with you on replacing Daniels, but I have to totally disagree with you on the Smoot, Harris comparison. I got tired of seeing Smoot miss open field tackles by diving at players feet. I especially got tired of seeing him wiff on by the QB on blitz's.

Harris on the other hand is a great open field tackler and is much more agressive IMHO. :)

Here is something else. In the post game interview...listen to Daniels. He says "I'm not worried about it"...when commenting about this game.

Always nice to get your a$$ kicked and then say something like that. I would have more respect for somebody who was crying and feeling humiliated...but no respect for somebody who takes an I don't care attitude. Maybe thats why people keep running by him on run plays and on pass plays he acts like there is a 5 yard force field around the QB.

You'd rather have someone crying and being mentally decimated over a game in week seven which could taint their attitudes and set a losing tone for the remainder of the season instead of someone who can brush it off as an abberation game and get ready for next week??? Isn't the old saying about the mentality of DBs that they have to have short term memories so they can shake off a TD they gave up getting toasted and come back and play solid the rest of the way(QBs after throwing INTs too)?? I'd rather at this point in the season want our guys to not let this one game get them down and in a dark mental place(thats what fans are for :silly: ) and come back and work hard to smoke their next opponent. Just my $0.02

It wasn't the left side. It was the right side.

At least if you're taking the view of being on the defensive side of the ball facing the offense... that would be the right side.

If you're on the offense looking, then yeah, you could say left. So which view are you on when you say left?

I think we can figure out what he's talking about because we know which side Daniels plays on. =P

Archived