Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if Joe Gibbs never retired?

skinfan2k

i totally forget about that. I don't think new england would be deemed as a dynasty if joe was here. i think honestly we would be the greatest franchise in sports if joe will still here. Years ago, back when norv was here I had a dream that joe gibbs would come back, beacuse of daniel synder. he did. thank you. i always had a feeling that joe would come back.

Honestly, after 1992 the team was in need of a rebuild but Gibbs wouldn't have been so quick to cast aside certain players like Norv did (Gouviea, Scheleth, McKenize just a few examples) but Gibbs had rebuilt the Skins several times over his first era..........never the same running back or QB for his three Super Bowls.

I think saying the Cowboys wouldn't have won their 3 SB's is a strong statement though, they won one in Gibbs last year anyway and pretty much built a team that was the best around for the nest 4 or 5 years.

Gibbs might have made their task harder, but stopping it completely......... doubt it to be honest.

If Joe Gibbs never retired from the redskins franchise (assume dan synder bought team in 98), how many superbowl wins do you think the redskins would and how many playoff performance? its hypotheical but hey can't i ask?

I would sleep well, and my children would sleep well, and my children's children would sleep well, and my children's children's children would sleep well........

The Skins were in tough shape cap wise when the salary cap first hit in 1994. I believe Coach Gibbs would have rebuilt the Skins quicker than Norv did (or didn't as the case may be) but rebuilding was indeed in order.

Funny thing is, Reggie White, when he was making his free agent tour in 1993 said it was really close between the Skins,Packers and 49ers and that if Joe Gibbs had still been coach, he would have signed with the Skins. That would have aided the rebuilding process big time.

Last point, don't sell Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys short. Johnson built a hell of a team and I truely believe that Gibbs or no Gibbs, the Skins (due to the cap and the age of the roster) would not have been in a position to impeed the Cowboys march to 3 Super Bowls.

we'd prolly be worse off... gibbs was totally burned out after 92, and it showed. the team was in shambles too. im glad he took time off and refreshed himself to come back and lead us to victory this year.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think we would've been worse off. He definitely needed the break. If he came back 4 years into Norv's tenure, that would've been great. He could've won us a Super Bowl with Gus and Terry Allen. He would've either gotten Westbrook to reach his potential or cut him immediately, and Leslie Shepard would've been a pro-bowler.

Dallas probably would have won 3 Super Bowls anyway but you never know how good the Redskins could have gotten between 1993 and 1995 if Gibbs was there. They may have been able to stop that 95 Dallas team since it wasn't really that good anymore its just that no other NFC team was very good and the Steelers gave away that Super Bowl. Gibbs never had consecutive bad teams so I am pretty sure that by 94 they would have been contending again and wouldn't have gone 4-12 in 93 either. Remember Barry Switzer coached the 95 Dallas team. I have no doubt that Gibbs would have owned that clown.

I'd guess that if Gibbs had stayed the Redskins would have at least 2 more Super Bowls but I think the salary cap works to his advantage since he doesn't go after the very high priced superstar type players so we could have run a string of them off as well.

We probably would have had at least one more Super Bowl.

Agreed. I also think that the Cowboys had a great team and that the Skins had some really older players at the time that Gibbs left. If the Cowboys had kept Jimmy Johnson they might have won 5 in a row. They had a great team. Wow, that hurts to say that. Anyway, here's hoping we beat the Giants!:D

I know one thing, Art Monk would have been used like he should have been and won us some games instead of getting tossed aside like yesterdays news. That is one thing I'll never figure out: Why Pettybone kept Art on the Bench.
Why did we ever let him go to the Jets ? It was not the way he should have ended his days. Joe Gibbs needed the rest. He was burning out. Racing was his therapy. When the NFC EAST force began to build, it called Joe Gibbs out. The football gods had seen the Redskins at the bottom of the barrel long enough, the cowgirls were champions no more, the Redskins had a new leader and everyone knowing saw a Redskins team on the rise. That was last year. Now, we face a team that has had it's way with us for quite some time. Both teams are playing their best football of the year right now. The Redskins are exceptional on both sides of the ball and have very good special teams units. Joe Gibbs has brought more than just team concept back, he has brought the swagger back to the Redskins. The confidence came back against the cowgirls and has snowballed ever since. This team knows what it feels like to lose and they don't like it. Now, they know that they can beat anybody. The Giants luck runs out this weekend because the Redskins are going to come out and hardnose the Giants right out of the stadium just like the 49's. :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

There was one season (don't recall the year) where the league had a players strike. All of the Redskins players honored the strike and didn't play. The Redskins gathered a bunch of eager guys off the street to make a team. Other teams' players did honor the strike and the teams we played during that time had many of their regular team players. That season Joe Gibbs Redskins won the Superbowl.

So in my opinion if Joe Gibbs had not retired the Redskins would have been the dynasty to "end-all" dynasties. I would guess he would have won the Superbowl 1/3 of the years.

Agreed. I also think that the Cowboys had a great team and that the Skins had some really older players at the time that Gibbs left. If the Cowboys had kept Jimmy Johnson they might have won 5 in a row. They had a great team. Wow, that hurts to say that. Anyway, here's hoping we beat the Giants!:D

when gibbs left, the team was in a personnel crisis. it was like everybody was jumping ship after 92. (ART MONK TO THE JETS??!?!)

I know one thing, Art Monk would have been used like he should have been and won us some games instead of getting tossed aside like yesterdays news. That is one thing I'll never figure out: Why Pettybone kept Art on the Bench.

I agree with that when it comes to the 93 season.

Desmond was doing nothing.

Tim McGee was a bust FA signing.

Only Ricky Sanders was doing anything and there was no reason to not use Art Monk more.

However.

This might be blasphemy but not signing Art Monk in 1994 was the right move. Art wanted a raise in salary at a time when he clearly was not the same receiver he once was and was near the end of his career. The salary cap was in place and the Skins had to make some tough decisions. Then factor into the equation that the Redskins essentially gave the money Art Monk turned down to Henry Ellard and brought Henry in. Henry responded with 3 1000 yard seasons. No way Art produces 3 1000 yard seasons in 94,95 and 96.

Art suffered from the same problem alot of players do, he didn't know when to quit and so he hung on and had a mediocre season with the Jets in 94 and became a waiver wire pick up for the Eagles and played a couple of games in 95. It was a sad end to a great career.

I honestly think that Gibbs would have taken the team to the super bowl in 1996 or 1997, assuming they had Terry Allen and Ellard on offense, and Green, Harvey on defense. That team had an amazing running game, (21 tds by Allen) and there's no reason to believe that Gibbs wouldn't have been able to create the right chemistry there.

As far as Snyder goes, I believe that he would have pushed out Gibbs, or Gibbs would have quit because of Snyder, at the first sign of trouble. It has taken Danny a while to realize that a hands off style of ownership is more effective. Gibbs wouldn't have stood for it, as he woudn't stand for it now. Its good that snyder's been broken in.

Archived