Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please don't let Joe Buck be broadcasting this weekend

EersSkins05

Really redman? Don't you find his tone condescending and obnoxious? I half-loathe the guy because nearly every time he opens his mouth he comes accross as incredibly arrogant. Anyway, who are the few that you would take over him?

I agree with Des, Aikman's a pretty good announcer.

Al Michaels is solid, although I get sick of his obvious and only subtly veiled insecurity vis-a-vis his color man (it's admittedly as good now with Madden as it's ever been; it was at its worst with Dennis Miller).

I like Kenny Albert. I like Greg Gumbel, though I think he's doing studio work now. Dick Enberg and Pat Summeral both are still solid calling games but are getting long in the tooth.

As for people I can't stand, Dick Stockton is right up there. He's a moron. He offers nothing to the game and he actually detracts because he's constantly botching names. One gets the impression he just mails it in by showing up on Sundays and shooting from the hip.

Joe Buck is solid because he does his homework, he has a good presentation and I don't detect bias. I'd liken him to what I told my wife about Ryan Seacrest on American Idol: everyone makes fun of him but the guy is very good at what he does which is why he is where he is.

BTW, insofar as anyone is comparing play-by-play men (e.g. Buck, Costas, Michaels, etc.) with color men (Aikman, Moose, Maas) you're comparing apples to oranges unless all you mean to compare is your superficial impression that they leave on you in general. They have different jobs.

You seem to be forgetting the human factor that has to be considered for any position in which you are engaging an audience. Talent alone is never enough, you have to be able to get your audience to like you. Guys with lesser talent can prove to be far more effective in broadcasting if they come across as friendly and fair.

John Madden is a perfect example of this. The guy is a walking talking parody of himself who never fails to deliver some of the most bewildering lines in all of sports. But people like him and his name shines brighter then broadcasters that have far superior communication abilities.

It’s not that some people make me feel less intelligent, truth be told when I want intellectuals I don’t go looking for it in broadcasting booths. It’s that the way they choose to deliver the action comes across more as judgment then descriptive commentary. Joe Buck’s freak out over Randy Moss’s antics was a great example of this. He eagerly climbed atop his soap box and bombarded us with sanctimonious exaggerations. Had one listened to that without having seen it, one would think Randy had exposed his rear (like the packer fans do) and defecated in the end zone.

This is a good conversation. It's the classic conflict for a public figure between populism (appeal to the "common man") and leadership/skill/know-how. Neither value is 100% effective by itself.

Engineers tend to make lousy leaders (outside of their sphere) because they're boring as hell and don't have a populist cell in them.

Preachers tend to make lousy leaders (outside the church) because they're often anti-intellectual and too emotional, and come across as smarmy.

Madden makes for a good commentator because as much as he's a parody of himself (populist) he also knows a hell of a lot about the game and adds insight. Dennis Miller failed because he lacked the latter element.

Buck and Costas make for good in-game commentators because as much as they know and obviously respect the sports they cover, they recognize the medium of TV is primarily visual and they allow the screen or their colorman to convey information by being silent at appropriate times.

The best example of this latter value that I can think of is Vin Scully's call of Kirk Gibson's home run in the 1988 World Series. He called the ball until it landed in the stands, and then shut up for 90 seconds and just let the crowd and the scene on the field speak for itself. That friends, takes talent and humility, especially from a man who knows and could describe better than any of us the historical and exciting nature of that home run.

The best example of this latter value that I can think of is Vin Scully's call of Kirk Gibson's home run in the 1988 World Series. He called the ball until it landed in the stands, and then shut up for 90 seconds and just let the crowd and the scene on the field speak for itself. That friends, takes talent and humility, especially from a man who knows and could describe better than any of us the historical and exciting nature of that home run.

I think this is where my opinion of Buck diverges from yours redman. I should note that I totally agree with your analysis that appears above, and that in some cases silence speaks much more eloquently than would any words.

But I don't see Buck being able to withdraw himself enough from a moment, much less one of the historical significance of the Kirk Gibson home run. For all that Buck's expertise and understanding may add, the manner in which he conveys it into the broadcast is what I find so annoying. He has a self-awareness of his (admitted) superiority in some areas that turns what would otherwise be a solid (or better) broadcast into a "look-at-me" Joe Buck fest. I'm not saying that ever play or even every half has this kind of thing. But at some point, or at several points, in every game that I've heard him announce, there comes across a comment, like the Randy Moss one for example, that I find totally grating.

Perhaps once he's gotten a bit older, this was turn into something endearing, but for now, I find it almost intolerable.

This is a good conversation.

[snip]

Buck and Costas make for good in-game commentators because as much as they know and obviously respect the sports they cover, they recognize the medium of TV is primarily visual and they allow the screen or their colorman to convey information by being silent at appropriate times.

I agree, this is a good conversation. Thoughtful discussion without rancor and a bunch of smack talk is always a welcome thing.

I also concur with your comment regarding Costas and Joe Buck; good TV broadcasting is quite often about knowing when not to say anything. I remember Buck and McCarver not saying anything after McGwire broke Maris' record (and excuse the current dubiousness of that moment and remember the feeling in 1998) for what must have been two or three full minutes. Lesser broadcasters would have riffed all over that moment.

Also, not to quibble, but didn't Jack Buck make the call on Kirk Gibson's home run, at least for the national audience? (I'm sure Scully did it for the Dodgers' radio feed.) I remember the end of Buck's call, "....and I can't believe what I just saw!"

Either way, Jack Buck or Vin Scully, you can't go wrong. They have 100+ years of broadcast experience between them and are certainly on the very short list of best baseball broadcasters in history, period.

But I don't see Buck being able to withdraw himself enough from a moment, much less one of the historical significance of the Kirk Gibson home run. For all that Buck's expertise and understanding may add, the manner in which he conveys it into the broadcast is what I find so annoying. He has a self-awareness of his (admitted) superiority in some areas that turns what would otherwise be a solid (or better) broadcast into a "look-at-me" Joe Buck fest. I'm not saying that ever play or even every half has this kind of thing. But at some point, or at several points, in every game that I've heard him announce, there comes across a comment, like the Randy Moss one for example, that I find totally grating.

The more this conversation develops, the more I realize how often I completely ignore the broadcasters!

Outside of the Moss thing, I'm left without a specific example of Buck conveying (knowingly or not) a sense of smug elitism. The Moss thing was clearly an overamplified public judgment on Moss's ethics, or lack thereof, and Buck was rightly criticized for it. But I can't really think of another example of this, though. We all relate, mostly subconsciously, to these announcers in our own ways, so if Buck grates on some people, then that's simply a reaction innate to that person, and reactions are pretty difficult to quantify.

I think the core issue I was trying to figure out is why there seems to be an association between very knowledgable, bright, eloquent announcers and a noticeable part of their viewership finding them pompous, almost as if those qualities and humility are mutually exclusive.

Since when does insight, knowledge of the craft, and the ability to articulate one's ideas equal self-righteousness?

Why don't you expand upon why Bob Costas, for instance, is a poor broadcaster and perhaps you can compare and contrast that doof's work with someone who you feel does exemplary work in the field.

I'll eagerly await, but certainly not expect, a response.

Have you ever listened to Costas "pontificate" about sports? He waxes poetic about every last issue. Besides, I never said he was a bad broadcaster, I just don't enjoy his style. He comes across (to me) as self-righteous and an know-it-all. This is typical of most sports commentators and writers though. I much prefer people who call the game and give some nice antecdotes, but don't go off on social commentaries. This is sports, a form of entertainment, I am watching it for fun and don't care what you think about steriods, Title VII and other such issues.

The same with Buck. Buck lost me after the whole tantrum he threw after the Randy Moss faux mooning in Green Bay last year.

Something else Kenny Albert mentioned at the end of last weeks game was the fact that he had done two blow outs in a row where the winning team had scored 52 points. GB vs. NO and Washington vs. '9ers.

He said if that trend continued that either the Giants or Skins would be one very unhappy team this week.

Get a Sirius radio and a TiVo. The TiVo will allow you to sync up Sonny and Sam perfectly with the game on TV since the satrad is a few seconds behind live. Even with TiVo's built-in delays because of IT'S live buffering, Sirius is still a few seconds behind.

I LOVe being able to completely turn off the losers that are on TV in favor of Sonny and Sam. One more second of Moose, Goose, and the QB who Arrington sent into retirement, and I would go insane! If only they gave us multichannel audio so that I could separate the TV announcers from the surround channels. I DO miss the crowd sounds from the TV audio, but Sonny and Sam are worth it!

Well, if all else fails, turn down the sound and listen to Sonny, Sam and Frank, while watching the game...

I mean Larry! :doh: That just doesn't roll off the tongue, like Sonny, Sam and Frank.

Hey I'm sure I'm late, but what happend to Frank? I like Sonny and Sam and Larry is alright..

But yea Joe Buck puts me to sleep. During the super bowl it seemed like a funeral the way he was announcing. I dont know how he wins broadcasting awards every year... :wtf:

If you have never heard Ernie Harwell do a baseball game, then you have surely missed a treat. Right up there with Buck, Scully..............

Back to the subject at hand:

Buck, Enberg, Michaels are all cool in my book. Where I have a problem is with some of the so-called ,exjock "expert" color commentators like Darrel Johnston. Now that man totally pi$$es me off. There are others, but he comes to mind first.

I like it when Big Joe calls the game. You want a guy in there who has a real feel for what life on the gridiron is all about. Someone who knows what leaving everything you have out on the field feels like down to the marrow in their own bruised bones. This is the kind of insight a guy like Joe Buck has spent hours talking about! Besides, he has the #1 collection of Pro Football action figures in broadcasting and even designs and sews his own uniforms for them!

Archived