Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stern and Sirius

SkinsD

I predict Stern will get a pretty huge lesson in humility when he finds that only a relative handful pay for Sirius radio so they can listen to him.

Plus, I think it is a stupid move for Stern. Part of what makes his show hilarious, in my opinion, is his constant baiting and taunting of the FCC, and the wars that go on there. His creative ways around censorship are hilarious... and he's filled up entire bits/even shows devoted to this one topic.

I think a lot of people like Stern for this... his battle against censorship (or at least as he sees it).

But on satellite, he'll be able to say/do anything. IMHO it will cheapen the show quite a bit.

Of course, I could be wrong. :2cents:

I have it and love it...

THE HOWARD 100 SIRIUS SCHEDULE

by The Webmaster

• Every Day at 6PM The Howard 100 News - Live!

• Thursday, October 20th – Wendy the Retard all day;

• Monday, October 24th – Double A’s interview with Beth at 6 p.m.;

• Monday, October 24nd – Ronnie’s birthday party from Scores, after Double A's show;

• Tuesday, October 25th – Angry Black and King of All Blacks (Time TBD).

• Thursday, October 27th – High Pitch Eric all day, how much crap is really in High Pitch?

There's not going to be floods of people rushing to the store to buy Sirius the second Stern goes off of public radiowaves, but there will be a significant number of people who are already thinking of buying satellite radio that will be affected.

Those Stern fans (like me) that were already going to get satellite radio will now get Sirius b/c it's basically the same as XM, but with a better sports package and Howard Stern. (Also, they now have a Rolling Stones channel that plays all Stones, all the time. Very cool.)

There will also be people that were thinking about buying satellite radio and this will be the aspect of programming that drives them to actually lay down the cash.

I predict Stern will get a pretty huge lesson in humility when he finds that only a relative handful pay for Sirius radio so they can listen to him.

Plus, I think it is a stupid move for Stern. Part of what makes his show hilarious, in my opinion, is his constant baiting and taunting of the FCC, and the wars that go on there. His creative ways around censorship are hilarious... and he's filled up entire bits/even shows devoted to this one topic.

I think a lot of people like Stern for this... his battle against censorship (or at least as he sees it).

But on satellite, he'll be able to say/do anything. IMHO it will cheapen the show quite a bit.

Of course, I could be wrong. :2cents:

I disagree. Is Chris Rock/Dave Chappelle/Sam Kinison/any raunchy comedian funnier when their material is censored?

Would you rather watch Pulp Fiction on HBO or TBS? (BTW, why is cable regulated like free broadcast television? We pay for it, shouldn't it be uncensored? I never understood why for example, The Daily Show has bleeps. It's on cable and it's on late at night. Censorship sucks ****) :)

Also, it seems like companies like Clear Channel are complaining to their buddies in Congress that Satellite Radio has an unfair advantage over terrestial radio since it is uncensored. They want Congress to investigate censoring Satellite radio, so I doubt this battle is over yet.

I already own Sirius and I love it, but I can't get reception at work. Does anybody have troble getting reception with Sirius?

I already own Sirius and I love it, but I can't get reception at work. Does anybody have troble getting reception with Sirius?

Per the ads I have seen if you subscribe to Sirius you can listen to it online, assuming you have that possibility at work.

If anyone has this, can you listen to the stern channel online?

I disagree. Is Chris Rock/Dave Chappelle/Sam Kinison/any raunchy comedian funnier when their material is censored?

Would you rather watch Pulp Fiction on HBO or TBS? (BTW, why is cable regulated like free broadcast television? We pay for it, shouldn't it be uncensored? I never understood why for example, The Daily Show has bleeps. It's on cable and it's on late at night. Censorship sucks ****) :)

That is a valid point...

I'm just pointing out though that it's long been a part of Stern's routine... and now that he is actually uncensored he won't be able to run home to momma.

Per the ads I have seen if you subscribe to Sirius you can listen to it online, assuming you have that possibility at work.

If anyone has this, can you listen to the stern channel online?

I have XM in my truck, at the house, and out in our warehouse. I can listen to it online, which I do. Some of the channels that are available through the XM receiver are not avaible on the online player. ESPN RADIO for one.

I imagine that Howard will be online

By Paul Bond Fri Oct 21, 3:11 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The whopping $500 million Sirius Satellite Radio is paying Howard Stern to join the No. 2 celestial radio service might be starting to pay off.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to data from NPD Group, Sirius has been taking away retail-level market share from XM Satellite Radio for three consecutive months, and analysts primarily give credit to Stern.

NPD said that in September, Sirius captured 56 percent of the satellite radio sales, the best it has done since launching its service in July 2002. That's an improvement over 47 percent in August and 40 percent in July.

While CEO Mel Karmazin said the improved sales can be attributed to

Martha Stewart joining Sirius and the start of the NFL season as well as the impending arrival of Stern, analysts focused mostly on the latter.

"We have consistently indicated that the arrival of Howard Stern would be a major catalyst," Merrill Lynch analysts wrote after the NPD data was made public this week.

Taking the lead in retail was "not a surprise," the analysts said. "We expect Sirius' lead in retail sales will continue throughout (the year) and early 2006, largely driven by the addition of Howard Stern fans."

Analysts at Sanford Bernstein noted that Sirius' share of retail has risen from 11 percent in 2002 to 44 percent last year and 48 percent in the first half of this year.

Retail sales do not include radios sold already installed in cars -- original equipment manufacturers -- where XM maintains a healthy lead, having launched its service 10 months earlier than Sirius.

Sirius said that it sold 82,000 units at retail last month, a 52 percent surge over August and a 93 percent increase from September 2004.

"Since Sirius has a slight disadvantage to XM in the OEM channel, retail channel must be the greater driver for share gains for Sirius," the Sanford Bernstein analysts said.

Observers estimate that retail sales are amounting to about 65 percent of Sirius sales, while they are representing about 50 percent at XM.

On Thursday, XM said that it will give a free satellite radio to everyone attending Game 1 of the

World Series on Saturday in Chicago, while Sirius said that it hired a new senior vp marketing.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Steveo... when the deal was announced, Sirius was banking on getting 500,000 new listeners. I doubt that will happen.

But I really like what Sirius is doing in the marketplace. Kind of a demand-pull approach, if you will. They have created a product that the customer is seeking out.

XM, it seems, is taking the opposite approach it seems, capturing the customer at the car dealership. iirc, Ford is the only automaker that lets a customer choose Sirius... everyone else is in bed with XM.

I think the way this is playing out, XM is going to find themselves in trouble when thousands of car buyers insist that they be able to get Sirius radio from the manufacturer.

But who knows, sometimes the better product doesn't win, i.e. Apple and Betamax.

Yeah those bleeps aren't part of any FCC censorship, it's up to the sponsers what content they deem acceptable. For instance Comedy Central has that secret stash stuff they do where you can see the South Park movie uncensored or Dave Chappelle without bleeps. It's all about what the advertisers will allow.

Steveo... when the deal was announced, Sirius was banking on getting 500,000 new listeners. I doubt that will happen.

But I really like what Sirius is doing in the marketplace. Kind of a demand-pull approach, if you will. They have created a product that the customer is seeking out.

XM, it seems, is taking the opposite approach it seems, capturing the customer at the car dealership. iirc, Ford is the only automaker that lets a customer choose Sirius... everyone else is in bed with XM.

I think the way this is playing out, XM is going to find themselves in trouble when thousands of car buyers insist that they be able to get Sirius radio from the manufacturer.

But who knows, sometimes the better product doesn't win, i.e. Apple and Betamax.

They got 359,000 in the 3rd quarter.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/10/04/sirius-satellite-radio-xm-1004markets15.html?partner=rss

Also, here is a list of cars that offer Sirius

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=Page&cid=1043186280865&

Yeah those bleeps aren't part of any FCC censorship, it's up to the sponsers what content they deem acceptable. For instance Comedy Central has that secret stash stuff they do where you can see the South Park movie uncensored or Dave Chappelle without bleeps. It's all about what the advertisers will allow.

You don't think the government has a hand in this? There are a ton of sponsers out there, you think an f-bomb would prevent all of them from buying commercials. I doubt it.

edit-awful grammar

Pay radio will never work. Just like pay TV fizzled out, since what dummy would pay when you can get TV for free? :laugh:

While were at it, how stupid is this "MTV" idea? I mean, who in their right minds would think the recording labels would pay the huge production costs for music videos, and then just hand all that programming over to a TV channel for free? :laugh:

Archived