Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Texas is #1 in BCS

jbooma

I agree----------USC/ND game was one of the best ever------but irrelevant.

I disagree-------South Bend harder to win than Columbus. The facts and history just do not bear that claim.

We're to base everything on rankings? I stand corrected; the rankings are always correct. The Buckeyes are the best two loss team in the country, not the Irish, look at who and where they lost..........No one would have beat Penn State that night.

Would you take Notre Dame over Ohio State on a neutral field?

That's why Tech may get in there. If they beat BC on Thursday (I'm going to Japan so I'll miss it) they'll have beat three top 12 teams, pretty good if ya ask me.

Vick played a crap game against Md though. If he pulls that crap against BC, they'll get stomped. BC's a damn good team. They were beating FSU but they fell apart in the 4th. They are inexperienced, but they beat VT last time they played, 2 years aga in Blacksburg. Should be fun :)

Thursday night, at home, against a motivated team

We win by 3 TD's :applause:

2003 was the last game I saw at home as a college student, our team was tanking by that point of year and Knight ran all over us

I am more confident about this game then I was about UMD

Thursday night, at home, against a motivated team

We win by 3 TD's :applause:

2003 was the last game I saw at home as a college student, our team was tanking by that point of year and Knight ran all over us

I am more confident about this game then I was about UMD

I think Tech will win, but Vick better brig his A-game. If he plays like he did against Maryland, he'll have to come from behind to win. Either way, it looks like a big game, I'm just pissed I'm going to miss it.

The BCS is a byproduct of our insistance that there be a national champion. Take that away, and we're back to where we were 30 years ago, with just a bunch of conference champions, and a bunch of speculation about who is better.

But we want that national champion. Unfortunately, there are far more teams to rank than in the pros, and less games to play in the season, and no way for all the teams in contention to play each other, not to mention that the players actually have other obligations. Given that, the BCS is an improvement over what existed before, in that the top teams actually have a chance at playing each other.

Now, there's the question of whether those two teams are actually the top two teams. That will always be a disagreement. For you VT fans, I can sympathize -- I was a Washington Huskie fan the year BYU took it in the 80s. BYU coughs up the ball 5 times and wins anyway, and it showed tremendous heart. Washington wins a turnover-laden game, and it's a sloppy win. Whatever.

I'll be happy to see a USC-Texas game at the end of the season, 'cause I think it would be a good game, regardless of who else might be considered for #1.

The BCS is a byproduct of our insistance that there be a national champion. Take that away, and we're back to where we were 30 years ago, with just a bunch of conference champions, and a bunch of speculation about who is better.

The one thing we do have now is the conference championships, and that is been able to cut the teams in half that would be needed to take part in a playoffs.

However if you look back since the advent of the BCS I think there was only one season where they wouldn't have needed the extra game to decide it, it normally only comes to about 4 teams.

BCS +1

It needs to happen.

We may need to hope USC gets locked out of the Rose Bowl by finishing #3 in the BCS.

There would be a playoff system next year if that happens.

Very good point, because most likely they will still be #1, however the bcs rankings is an entire year, so yes right now it is flipped it will change.

What would be the best is have 4 teams go undefeated, then they will have to add the +1 :cheers:

oh the remaining schedule for the 3 teams and winning percentage of teams:

USC - .765

VT - .656

T - .545

VT and USC both might be able to play a team in the bcs rankings, which will give them bonus points. Things are going to keep changing the rest of the year.

I think its great. The bogus win at Notre Dame helped by a bad spot and illegal assist by Bush of the QB into the endzone...........

I'm hoping UCLA loses two games to weaken USC so called strength of schedule so they are #3 and out of the championship to force a playoff in the future.

USC is gonna come out swinging vs. Wazzu. It's gonna be an ugly day for State on Saturday, just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As far as Texas being #1, it actually makes logical sense even though the Big 12 is soft this year. The SEC remains the toughest conference and if USC had to play Auburn last season things would be different. What kills me is the fact that Brown gets a Rose Bowl bid last year when clearly it should have been Cal or Utah. How can some of you guys say it's about tradition when the Rose Bowl sold out to the BCS?

In the true spirit of competition you have to actually PLAY the other team to see who the best is. This is why I don't agree with computer rankings. No matter how much they tweak the machine, it will never take away from the fact that in order to be champion you must actually win. With the number of unbeaten teams nowadays it's nearly impossible to know who really is the best until they actually play each other.

Was USC really the best team in the nation last year? The computer says so, but I think Auburn or even Utah could have ran with them. Last years Rose Bowl should have been Cal vs. Mich.

The answer: 16 teams, 1-2 from each conference depending on record. Each BOWL game sponsor gets a playoff game. For example, the AutoZone Liberty Bowl and the Chick-fil-a Peach Bowl would all get to sponsor a round 1 playoff game.

The other gripe I have is that as soon as the regular season ends, most of these teams have to wait a freaking month before the bowl game. That is way too long in between the regular season. Two weeks seems reasonable, but a month?

I think its great. The bogus win at Notre Dame helped by a bad spot and illegal assist by Bush of the QB into the endzone...........

I'm hoping UCLA loses two games to weaken USC so called strength of schedule so they are #3 and out of the championship to force a playoff in the future.

A win is a win is a win. 29 wins is 29 wins is 29 wins. USC is the best team in the country until they LOSE.

The answer: 16 teams, 1-2 from each conference depending on record. Each BOWL game sponsor gets a playoff game. For example, the AutoZone Liberty Bowl and the Chick-fil-a Peach Bowl would all get to sponsor a round 1 playoff game.

The other gripe I have is that as soon as the regular season ends, most of these teams have to wait a freaking month before the bowl game. That is way too long in between the regular season. Two weeks seems reasonable, but a month?

Then the regular season plus conf champ games would not be important, to many teams.

To save the Bowl System and to crown a real champ all you need is the BCS +1 thats it.

Archived