Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Texas is #1 in BCS

jbooma

Yeah.. VT is going to be this years version of Auburn.... too bad really...

Some think that since VT has so many strong games left against ranked oppenents that they might catch on of the other teams.

If USC ends up #3 with and undefeated record then the BCS needs to go, unless they do the extra game, which is all college football needs. 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 and then the winners play

Some think that since VT has so many strong games left against ranked oppenents that they might catch on of the other teams.

If USC ends up #3 with and undefeated record then the BCS needs to go, unless they do the extra game, which is all college football needs. 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 and then the winners play

Agreed on the 5th BCS game, which I thought they were going to start next season?

USC fans don't need to really worry, they have a tougher schedule the rest of the way, having to play at Cal and UCLA at home. If they hammer one of those teams, they'll be back in #1. Texas has a bunch of scrubs to finish out. I think they're in more trouble if Tech wins out, although I don't see Tech jumping Texas just because everyone preordained Texas-USC the Rose Bowl matchup from Day 1.

College football has needed the 4 team playoff scenario forever. They won't change anything after this year either though. :mad:

Go Va. Tech!

This is why Tech fans, despite the fact we won, were upset at the MD game.

We win, but unimpressively to a pretty pitiful MD squad. Texas on the other hand, smacks around an (overrated) TT team and gains in the eyes of the voters.

We HAVE to smack BC around this week, or else our chances will slip further away.

The only other option is wishing that a team in the PAC-10 suddenly figures out how to play defense. Go Cal and/or UCLA!

Having been a Texas fan for a number of years, I really think that the BCS finally got it together. USC wins over Notre Dame in a last minute ILLEGAL play and no one cares. Illegal...yes. Bush said he pushed Linert over the goal line which is a clear violation. Moreover they barely eked out a victory the previous weeks as well. I hope no one beats either team so that the Rose Bowl will not lose any of the significance it deserves.

its a crazy system. if you lose 1 game you pretty much can wrap it up your chances of winning a title. i understand its all about how you play over the long haul but it really screws over a team that gets it together and really is playing dominating football.

Which is why i looooooooooooooooooooove college football with the conf title games and other games there is already a playoff system there, all they need is the +1 game and all will be good

With a large playoff system then the USC vs ND game is not as good.

However if you lose 2 it is over, if you lose 1 you still have a chance

Having been a Texas fan for a number of years, I really think that the BCS finally got it together. USC wins over Notre Dame in a last minute ILLEGAL play and no one cares. Illegal...yes. Bush said he pushed Linert over the goal line which is a clear violation. Moreover they barely eked out a victory the previous weeks as well. I hope no one beats either team so that the Rose Bowl will not lose any of the significance it deserves.

The bottom line is that USC won. They started as #1 and are on a 27 game winning streak. Texas should not get extra points because they won with "style"

This is football, not figure skating.

This is a bunch of crap. Baseball playoffs, World series, a good NFL season, and maybe even the return of that sport on ice of which i do not speak has put NCAA football on the backburner. This is just a way to get people to pay attention, cause honestly it's boring that USC has been #1 forever. Although that Notre Dame/USC game was damn good.

Anyway, thats my theory and I'm sticking to it. They're just trying to draw attention to themselves.

A College football playoff format of 16 teams would be bigger then the SB. They will eventyally go to that, 4 games, 4 weeks between the last game and the New Years games, they'll end up doing it. It will take something like USC being out of the top two spots and on a 30+ win streak to cause it. . .

A College football playoff format of 16 teams would be bigger then the SB. They will eventyally go to that, 4 games, 4 weeks between the last game and the New Years games, they'll end up doing it. It will take something like USC being out of the top two spots and on a 30+ win streak to cause it. . .

I don't think it will unfourtantley until they figure out a way to make more money from a playoff system

The bowl system and "Tradition" dominate college football. People like having 28 bowl games and all that jazz, and plus traveling to 4 playoff games would be tough

If anything, the most I can see in terms of a playoff would be the BCS+1, where there would be one additional game after the BCS games for the national title

Thats if we are lucky

I don't think it will unfourtantley until they figure out a way to make more money from a playoff system

The bowl system and "Tradition" dominate college football. People like having 28 bowl games and all that jazz, and plus traveling to 4 playoff games would be tough

If anything, the most I can see in terms of a playoff would be the BCS+1, where there would be one additional game after the BCS games for the national title

Thats if we are lucky

ShF, there is wayyyyy to much money involved in a system like that. The NCAA is all about the dollar, you know that. If there is money, they will come. They already figured out the revenue sharing system with the stadium owners, as the National Championship is on a rotating scale, so the rest is getting a few more games involved. You need 15 games, so you take the top 15 Bowls. You go from there. It can be done, and there is actually more money involved in a playoff system.

Everyone always panics early on about the BCS rankings. It will all even out in the end.

Each year is different. IMO, it doesn't and shouldn't matter that USC has won 27 straight games. All that matters is this year. You're telling me that USC should be #1 because of the 20 wins BEFORE this year?? That's a crock! I'm not saying they aren't the best team; I'm just saying those wins shouldn't matter THIS year.

The bottom line is this: Virginia Tech needs USC to lose to Cal or Fresno State to get to Pasadena. If USC and UCLA go into that last game undefeated, the winner of that game will go to Pasadena. Of course I am assuming both Alabama and Georgia are going to slip up in the next few weeks.

If UCLA is ranked 4 and they beat USC, there is a good chance they could leap over V Tech sitting at 3.

ShF, there is wayyyyy to much money involved in a system like that. The NCAA is all about the dollar, you know that. If there is money, they will come. They already figured out the revenue sharing system with the stadium owners, as the National Championship is on a rotating scale, so the rest is getting a few more games involved. You need 15 games, so you take the top 15 Bowls. You go from there. It can be done, and there is actually more money involved in a playoff system.

True but then if you have that many teams then the regular season isn't worth as much, and that is the key

the bcs +1 is the best bet

by the way you Texas fans who has Texas beat that was any good?? Ohio State is having a down year, Oklahoma sucks and Texas Tech was so overated. USC's win over ND is better then any game Texas has, and USC still has to play Cal and UCLA. I would say VT is better then Texas anyway, especially since they would have to have beaten Miami, FSU, and Boston College

Texas is not Utah of last year. Texas is not a program that just appeared out of nowhere. The argument of "they haven't played anybody" doesn't fly. They were preseason #2 and have destroyed everyone they have played this year with the exception of Ohio State. Down year or not, the Buckeyes are hell to beat in Columbus.

That win is still more impressive than USC over Notre Dame. And remember VT hasn't beaten any of those 3 teams yet.

True but then if you have that many teams then the regular season isn't worth as much, and that is the key

the bcs +1 is the best bet

by the way you Texas fans who has Texas beat that was any good?? Ohio State is having a down year, Oklahoma sucks and Texas Tech was so overated. USC's win over ND is better then any game Texas has, and USC still has to play Cal and UCLA. I would say VT is better then Texas anyway, especially since they would have to have beaten Miami, FSU, and Boston College

That's why Tech may get in there. If they beat BC on Thursday (I'm going to Japan so I'll miss it) they'll have beat three top 12 teams, pretty good if ya ask me.

Vick played a crap game against Md though. If he pulls that crap against BC, they'll get stomped. BC's a damn good team. They were beating FSU but they fell apart in the 4th. They are inexperienced, but they beat VT last time they played, 2 years aga in Blacksburg. Should be fun :)

Texas is not Utah of last year. Texas is not a program that just appeared out of nowhere. The argument of "they haven't played anybody" doesn't fly. They were preseason #2 and have destroyed everyone they have played this year with the exception of Ohio State. Down year or not, the Buckeyes are hell to beat in Columbus.

That win is still more impressive than USC over Notre Dame. And remember VT hasn't beaten any of those 3 teams yet.

You have no clue what you are talking about, is Ohio State (and i am fan) in the top 10???

Look at the rankings Notre Dame is better then OSU and hate to say it but it is much harder to win at South Bend then OSU. The USC vs ND game was one of the best ever, they two do not even compare. I agree VT has not beaten those teams yet, but they should.

Archived