Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ vs. The Freak

Golgo-13

I remember back in the '99 season when Jevon Kearse aka The Freak won the rookie of the year award. He deserved it as he had one hell of a year that year. Only one vote went to another rookie, and that was our beloved Champ Bailey. Now, with several years in perspective, who would you guys have rather had of the two? The ROY winner Jevon Kearse, or the shut-down corner Champ Bailey?

cover corners are next to left tackles and quarterbacks on the rare find list. :)

Kearse had one monster season but has not matured and shown he is ready to become an everydown consistent performer.

There is so much more to DL play than just sacks. But that is all people look at for post-season awards.

Champ Bailey is the pick here and it is obvious he should have been the pick over Kearse, even when Kearse was having his "freak-like" year. Everybody loves statistics, but this is another example of how they are taken too far. Champ did all the little things his rookie year that did not show up on paper, but since the "freak" had more media coverage and stats to boot he won the award. Well, the media is wrong again...Kearse and Champ are not even on the same playing field now...it is Champ by a landslide. Do not believe everything you read in your Sports Illustrated or sports pages. Do not believe the hype. Believe in Champ! Champ should have made the cover of SI...Kearse is now suffering from the SI Jinx..so I am glad Champ was overlooked.

3 years later, Champ is one of the most dominant players at his position. Kearse had a good rookie season but hasn't progressed as much. His talent has leveled off.

Now Champ is another story. He gets better & better each year. I really hope he gets to return some punts, I would love to see him in Hawaii as a PR & CB.

You can scheme around a DE; but to avoid the Champ, you have to concede that your #1 receiver will be running for no reason the entire game. I love Kearse, and it's no blowout between these two, but Champ is the steadier presence and bigger contributor to what he allows the D to accomplish.

Archived