Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Hall coming back? Novak won the job?

cscmtp

Novak seems to be very accurate. That's what impresses me the most. The Seattle block was definately the line play. Our line dude got blown up. As far as money is concerned Novak saves about $400,00, and if Hall does get reinjured again and we let Novak go, we are in a world of trouble during the home stretch run. Novak showed me a lot in those two back to back kicks against Seattle, and making the 54 yarder against the Bronco's that got nullified cuz of illegal procedure. Damn you Sellers!

I think Gibbs is getting some confidence in him.

The safe pick is Novak. However, the fact that they are being patient with Hall makes me think the brass thinks he's the better kicker.

Personally, I think they're going to continue to keep both on the roster. Certainly now that Springs seems to be healthy. They will put Hall on IR and make the both compete next year for the job. It's a deent situation, we have two competent kickers.

I actually like the kickoffs that go to the right side and land at about the 17 yard line. The average starting field position seems to be the 27 yard line or so. I can live with that.

I think eventually we'll have to put Hall on IR...we don't want him getting picked up by another team...Akers has been hurting in Philly...Cortez is no lock in Dallas.

WE can't outright release Novak or put him on the practice squad...he'll get picked up like that!

It's time to cut all ties to the Jet's trade of 2003.

Here is Novak's kickoffs (from NFL.com play by play):

at Kanas City

1st TD- to KC 16 (returned 15 yards)

2nd Half- to KC 20 (returned 18 yards)

2nd TD- To KC 8 (returned 20 yards)

3rd TD- To KC 7 (returned 19 yards)

at Denver

1st TD- To Den 4 (returned 18 yards)

1st FG- To Den 4 (returned 24 yards)

2nd Half- To Den 1 (returned 32 yards)

2nd FG- To Den 23 (muffed return)

2nd TD- Onside Kick

vs Seattle

1st TD- To Sea 11 (19 yd return)

2nd Half - To Sea 30 (no gain on return)

2nd TD - To Sea 5 (25 yard return)

1st FG- To Sea 27 (Fair Catch)

at Dallas

Opening - To Dal 6 (24 yard return)

1st TD - To Dal 10 (21 yard return)

2nd TD - To Dal 3 (49 yard return)

So after review, it does appear like he can make decent kicks, and really either way short kicks and short returns or full kicks and return, opponents are starting at about the 30 yard line.

ah I can't believe this... Novak is no good... we lost one game coz of him in Denver

this has to be sarcasm surely?

Hes a rookie, and hes doing ok so far, rookies make mistakes, period. Down the stretch i think he is more reliable than hall. Tupa has a back injury as far as i know. Ill check the injury report on the main site.

"Hall had an injury-plagued 2004 season, managing to play in eight games and converting 11 of 13 field goal attempts and all 13 pats."

This is the first line of the injury report for John Hall. last time i checked there were 16 games in a season.... His injuries can be costly, i agree hes an accurate kicker but if he can only play 8 games in a season then we need someone with a bit of longevity imo.

Novak is new, green as the grass he kicks on. Give him time.

Tupa is out due to a back injury, Hall is listed as Doubtful.

Tupa is out due to a back injury, Hall is listed as Doubtful.

Thanks. I really like Tupa, but he's getting a bit old and I wonder if we should also be looking for his replacement. I know punters and kickers tend to have longer careers than most but still. I like him though, he's been great for us. The other good thing about him is he can act as a 4th string QB :cool:

Well the blocks I would agree with you on (though I have no way of knowing when it's the kickers fault).

Actually, if you look at the plays in slow motion, you can tell. On the first block, the kick came off a little low, but the kick blocker came straight through the line and would have blocked it no matter how it was kicked. That was caused by a breakdown in our line.

The second block was totally on Novak. The kick was VERY low, and the blocker stayed in place and jumped up to block it. In the 8-9 yard horizontal distance it travelled before it got to his hands, it should have been WAY out of his reach.

I go with Novak. I love how accurate he has been with his kicks, most don't even go to the side, just straight through the middle. I think he has a strong enough leg to get the job done and I believe that some of the short kicks are by design. As for hall, he has been oft injured for the skins, he has been repeatedly having problems with his quads and hamstrings. The best possible result is to place Hall on IR and let the 2 compete for the job equally in camp next year. Maybe his kick was a little low at the Denver game, but as has been stated, he is still a rookie, he will have a long career with some team if not here and Personally I don't think hall has 5 more years left in him, and I am sure Novak has another 15 so consider that when contemplating who to keep.

Looking from the coaching perspective, if Hall is 100% healthy, he will be the kicker. Why? Gibbs knows what he has and doesn't need to guess. Novak is proving that he's reliable. But "proving" is not "proven".

I'm sure the Redskins are looking around and seeing who is available as a kicker in case they release Novak, he gets picked up elsewhere, and then Hall gets re-injured. This will play into when Hall gets his job back, if ever.

As far as a punter taking kickoff responsibilites, I think it would take a rare combination of skills. Punting and kickoffs are different skills and so would take away from practice of the other skill. Also, the Redskins use the punter as the holder for FGs. More practice time.

Anyone know why the punter is used as the holder and not a backup QB, or least someone who could run or throw to facilitate a fake FG or run a botched snap?

Clearly these kickoffs are not short by design. Novak physically can't kick it inside the 10 yard line. They may have told him to kick it shorter anyway for Dante Hall but Hall should keep the job if he stays healthy. His percentage is pretty good I do believe and his kickoffs go to the goal line so I don't know what everyone's problem is with Hall when he is actually playing.

I would love to see Hall back. We will need his veteran experience in December and January. The Money kicks.

I like Novak, but he seem a little green. I would agree with others that he is proving he can play, but he's not proven. (keep that focus Nick)

I think after the San Fran game will be decision time.

Listen Hall is proven he has made a 55 yarder at the buzzer to send the Jets to the playoffs. He has made clutch kicks in the playoffs and is a proven kicker in bad weather conditions playing in the meadowlands. When healthy he is 1 of the best kickers we've ever had. The problem is just keeping him healthy right now. I'd love to have UVA's kickoff guy and even Connor Hughes for that matter talking about clutch but again like Novak a unproven guy. That is the main reason Groom was let go was inexperience and the fg kicker is even more important. I was po'ed when they let Tupa go and even madder when we cut Groom because Frost is even worse and only has 1yr of kicking ability.

Honestly, I hold my breath everytime Novak kicks. If we are serious about being a playoff team we need a proven vet with confidence that he'll make everything from 55 and in. Hall has a big leg on FG attempts but keeps hurting it kicking off.

I believe they are taking thier time with him making sure he is 100%.

Novak is a lot cheaper.

Wrong, Hall's salary, being a vested vet, is guarenteed for the entire year. If the Skins cut Hall they have to pay his entire salary for the year and it counts against the cap.

Now if Novak is cut he doesn't collect any more money and his cap hit goes away.

They can replace Noval with a player at the same dalary and the Cap will not change, while if Hall is cut, the salary of the replacement will be an addition to the cap.

Quote Thinker:

"I think it's time to let Hall go to IR. Even if he comes back, if we cut Novak, someone else will likely pick him up and then it's very possible that Hall will get hurt again and then we'll be out of luck."

Letting Novak go and Hall going down again with Novak off the block because someone else picked him up is my great fear also. Teams dump kickers and pick up new ones all the time. I bet Dallas would dump Cortez in a second for Novak if they could get him

I wish there were a cost effective way to keep both. Even if we put him on the PS, some team, namely one with the useless kicker Cortez, would readily sign him within a few weeks (or whatever the time for eligibility for a player to be signed from another team's practice squad is.)

Novak seems pretty solid, plus he's young and will improve. Hall has made clutch kicks for us almost consistently, but for some reason he became injury prone after joining the Skins.

The only we can do is wait this out, and see what Gibbs and the FO decides to do.

:logo:

EDIT: Damn! New avatar. Dig it!

I really like Hall alot. But this injury thing is looming large. We need to let him go and let the kid have the job for this season. After this season if he hasn't proven himself we go get someone else. There's a ton of kickers out there who would love to make "Snyder" money. We can afford a good one.

Archived