Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis is messing up my fantasy team

D'Pablo

I think Coach is using Portis exactly when everyone expects him to be used. It will often soften up defenses quite a bit, but it never catches anyone by surprise. Our passing game seems to have a thousand wrinkles, but the run game is ancient. There are some zone stretch plays, but for the most part, it's exactly the same as it was last year. It's not even a matter of how Portis is being used, but rather the times that he is being used. Late in the game when defenses are exhausted, we're still passing constantly (even when we're not behind). Portis has that explosion but it's being bottled up more and more because defenders know when to stack the line of scrimmage. And of course this pisses me off because Portis is the only semi-reliable back on my team.

I don't really agree with the sentiment of the title (Portis messing up your fantasy team shouldn't be as important as him helping the team to win), I am actually trading Matt Hasselbeck, Stephen Davis, Antonio Bryant, and Mark Clayton for Clinton Portis and Daunte Culpepper.

I'm just getting Culpepper to back up my new starting QB as of the Seahawks game.. MARK BRUNELL!

What a fantasy sleeper!

..meanwhile, I am 6-0 in my fantasy league. I've been pretty much starting:

QB: Mark Brunell/Matt Hasselbeck

RB: LaDainian Tomlinson

RB: Stephen Davis

WR: Chad Johnson

WR: Tory Holt

WR: Larry Fitzgerald/Donald Driver/Mark Clayton

TE: Chris Cooley/Alge Crumpler

K: John Hall/Nick Novack/Jason Elam

DEF: Redskins

Unfortunately, the Redskins defense hasn't been producing turnovers. Oh well.

As I watched the monday night game, I noticed that the Indy Colts offensive line threw some great blocks for both Rhoades and E. James. When Edgar James had the ball he would get a rushing td, or pound threw a few players for the first down. Rhoades a good running back, but wasn't able to get the yards that James got with ease. Madden stated that it's because James new almost with a 6th sense where the holes would be and used his speed. My point is Edgar James is a pro bowl running back, a star. Clinton Portis isn't a star. He's an above average running back that looked like a star with Denvers offensive line and running scemes. That is why Bell looked like a superstar against us, (that and the fact that are dl can't stop the run on the outside and our linebackers are sucking Wheres laVar?).

I am anti-portis only because of his salary and the attention he gets in the media I don't think he's proven to deserve it.

in my league hes not getting me many points

Last week he got me an ok number of points but could have been alot better

1 point for 20 yards rushing

1 point for 20 yards recieving

1 point for 50 yards passing

6 points for TDs

and i think 2 points for every 2 pt conversion is how the scoring is and hes doing ok in yards i just need TDs tho

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=11411

"It's frustrating," Portis said after the game. "To know we outplayed somebody--we shouldn't have lost either of the last two games--it's tough to take. You credit each of the last two teams we played. We know how we lost, now we have to find a way to win. "We know we basically dominated both games. We lost because of the turnovers and if we don't get that straightened out, we're going to lose some more games, too."

:point2sky

It appears that CP has been playing hurt most of the season. Maybe that's why his performance has been a bit down. It does explain a lot.

I am in 16 fantasy football leagues, and my #1 back I went after in every draft was Portis, except for when I had the 1st or 2nd pick. I picked Portis 4th in one league. So far, I am VERY happy with his output. he has averaged 8-12 points pretty much every week so far, and considering the injuries to other RB's lately, Deuce McAllister, and the overall averageness of some of the other ones, Julius Jones, Keven Jones (YUCK!), Jamal Lewis, Corey Dillon, Ahmen Green (Double Yuck!) I am again VERY happy with Portis. Plus, to know he IS going to play much better as the season develops, and I feel he was a STEAL in all fantasy drafts, regardless of where you picked him, unless of course, you picked him over Alexander, Tomlinson, or James!! When he starts scoring, not if, I think it will be in bunches, and I fully believe he will be having his best games against other NFC East opponents! So in closing, don't give up on Portis in your fantasy league yet, he has been consistent and is only going to get better!! :eaglesuck ;) :gaintsuck ;)

I have about a hundred or so fantasy teams.

Only 3 with CP though (one yahoo, one NFL.com, one foxsports).

4-2 on two of them

6-0 on the other team (fox). On this team I also have Mark Brunell (benched Culpepper), Santana Moss, Chris Cooley, and Washington's defense (which has not helped my at all).

Where were you people when we were discussing Portis as a fantasy pick before the season? I didn't even have Portis on my list of possible picks, he doesn't produce fantasy points. If you want to win in FF you can't be a homer. Although Mark Brunell and Santana Moss are great pick ups that could have been had late in the draft.

I think Coach is using Portis exactly when everyone expects him to be used. It will often soften up defenses quite a bit' date=' but it never catches anyone by surprise. Our passing game seems to have a thousand wrinkles, but the run game is ancient. There are some zone stretch plays, but for the most part, it's exactly the same as it was last year. It's not even a matter of how Portis is being used, but rather the times that he is being used. Late in the game when defenses are exhausted, we're still passing constantly (even when we're not behind). Portis has that explosion but it's being bottled up more and more because defenders know when to stack the line of scrimmage. And of course this pisses me off because Portis is the only semi-reliable back on my team.[/quote']

:violin: :violin:

Archived