Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buying A New Tv? Plasma, Ldp, Lcd, Or Crt

DeanCollins

HOF44, I don't have a car, so my options are pretty limited, that's why the "free shipping" (though it's really just an added cost factored into the price) is a nice bonus. I'd have no way of getting that TV to my apartment short of having it delivered, which could cost $100 bucks if I can find a place that has it in the city. If the closest place is in Jersey, the delivery charges could be substantially more.

You're making a good point; I think I'm just irrationally tied to Crutchfield.

HOF44, I don't have a car, so my options are pretty limited, that's why the "free shipping" (though it's really just an added cost factored into the price) is a nice bonus. I'd have no way of getting that TV to my apartment short of having it delivered, which could cost $100 bucks if I can find a place that has it in the city. If the closest place is in Jersey, the delivery charges could be substantially more.

You're making a good point; I think I'm just irrationally tied to Crutchfield.

In either case they are both awesome TV's.

Some common misnomers are attributed to TV's which are no longer true.

1. DLPs do not have the "rainbow effect" anymore. When DLPs first came out, the color wheel spun at 300Hz. Now, it spins at 6000hz. and this removes the rainbow effect from the 2% of the population that could see it.

Just know what your buying. If you by a steeply discounted DLP set it could be of the first generation.

Another thing to consider is where the TV will be placed in regards to lighting. In a room that is brighter a LCD projection set will ussually look better than a DLP set. The LCD sets are brighter in general. But the black levels are supposed to be better on DLP sets.

I believe all sets out now are fourth gen sets, I have a third gen set with the DLP2+ chip. I think that all to older DLPs are long gone, as my model is now the discount one.

Samsung DLP 42"

Sharpest picture, fastest refresh rate. The DLP technology is much better for watching sports and fast paced prgramming due to the colour wheel within the television. This wheel makes the screens refreh rate much faster, and they are the first television to come out with a product that is capable of 1080P.

Samsung DLP 42"

Sharpest picture, fastest refresh rate. The DLP technology is much better for watching sports and fast paced prgramming due to the colour wheel within the television. This wheel makes the screens refreh rate much faster, and they are the first television to come out with a product that is capable of 1080P.

Why hello Samsung 42" DLP buddy :cool: :cheers:

Ah, but S&H is an additional $300 where at Crutchfield the shipping is free. Plus I don't know how good the service is from Costco but the service from Crutchfield is excellent.

You need to call soundcity and speak to joe. He can do a lot better the Cruthfield, and is close to NYC. They delivered a 65" to my living room in Florida! for $300, and still beat the local stores by $1500

http://soundcity.com/

I bought a Sony XBR 70" which is LCD projection last year. I love it best TV I've ever had. The picture is stunning and I have not had any problems with views from the side. This was alot bigger problem with the CRT based TV's. The LCD projection have a very wide angle of view.

Right now with the technologies out there I would go with one of the Sony LCD projection sets. To me its the best compramise of size, picture quality and price.

I have had two Sony big screens and I will never buy anything else. The weird part about the TV I have now is that I don't have an HDTV yet I get HD channels. This occured when I got a DVR. I have a friend who has a Plasma to come look at the quality of the picture and he was amazed. We pulled up the specs on the TV and we still can't figure out how I am getting HD. I guess I won't need to purchase that HD big screen now. :)

I have had two Sony big screens and I will never buy anything else. The weird part about the TV I have now is that I don't have an HDTV yet I get HD channels. This occured when I got a DVR. I have a friend who has a Plasma to come look at the quality of the picture and he was amazed. We pulled up the specs on the TV and we still can't figure out how I am getting HD. I guess I won't need to purchase that HD big screen now. :)

That is odd, is the Tv your talking about 4x3 or 16x9? I always thought to get HD you had to either have an HD tuner built in or hooked up externally. What model is it?

That is odd, is the Tv your talking about 4x3 or 16x9? I always thought to get HD you had to either have an HD tuner built in or hooked up externally. What model is it?

Give me time and I'll look up the specs again.

Bob. Go to the following link and click on the manuals link and go to page 58 for the specs.

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=KP53V90

I looked at the manual and according to the manual you are not getting HD. Are there black bars at the top and bottom? Its a 4x3 TV so if you were getting HD it should be letterboxed. You sure your friend with the Plasma has HD? Alot of Plasma's are whats called EDTV, which is DVD quality(480P).

Your DVR may be scaling the HD channels to work with your TV.

I looked at the manual and according to the manual you are not getting HD. Are there black bars at the top and bottom? Its a 4x3 TV so if you were getting HD it should be letterboxed. You sure your friend with the Plasma has HD? Alot of Plasma's are whats called EDTV, which is DVD quality(480P).

Your DVR may be scaling the HD channels to work with your TV.

Yep I am getting the bars on the top and bottom. On ESPN HD the HDTV logo is on the side when the commercial's are airing. The picture blows me away and you can imagine how ecstatic I am. It's quite a mystery to me.

Yep I am getting the bars on the top and bottom. On ESPN HD the HDTV logo is on the side when the commercial's are airing. The picture blows me away and you can imagine how ecstatic I am. It's quite a mystery to me.

The DVR would have to be scaling it. According to the manual this TV is not even HD ready. So your probably getting 480p, which is DVD quality video. Its better than standard def but not as good as HD.

You'll have to trek over and watch a game one weekend and compare.

Archived