Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins lead the league in...

Mickalino

You are right there Mick. Gardener just completely solidifies the defensive line. Even as a part-time player, his addition makes a potential worry into a very good strength. With his ability to slide between end and tackle, we'll end up having quite a lot of flexibility to counter running teams or passing teams.

With our strength at linebacker, against true passing teams, I could see Lavar simply lined up at defensive end much of the game as we go with a 4-2-5 alignment and without having much weakness. We don't have the best defensive line in the NFC East still, as that goes to the Giants, but, we just went from third to second and if Gardener is able to play full time, first isn't that far out of reach.

Originally posted by Art

We don't have the best defensive line in the NFC East still, as that goes to the Giants, but, we just went from third to second and if Gardener is able to play full time, first isn't that far out of reach.

Time will tell, I can't wait for the regular season, especially the games against the Skins.:cool:

No need to wait very long, Smith. The addition of Gardener just allowed the Redskins to leapfrog Philly for the second spot and we're now pestering New York. Dallas has had, and still does have, the weakest overall line. Glover is among the best single players, however, and that should help.

Glover can't defend the run, and he'll get biatch slapped by Stephen Davis. But therein lies the problem. When our mystery QB drops back to pass, Glover will most likely be all over him, taking our interior O-line difficulties into account. He was a sack machine in NO.

I can definitely see a heavy dose of Big Country against Dallas.

In Art we trust! Thanks Art, as usual I agree with your assessment. But, I think the Redskins will run a more effective defensive scheme than even the Giants. Since we really have a head coach running the defense and Lewis has a Super Bowl victory on his resume, I would still take the Redskins defensive line over the Giants. Petitbon never had the best players, but his scheme had our defense doing their job just as good as some of the top defenses in the league, year after year. Darryl Grant and Dave Butz were good players turned great by coaching, hard work, and playing in the right system. As we found out in 2000 and last year with the Patriots...it is not the players that matter as much as the chemistry and system. The Redskins now have both!

It's truly a shame that cowpuke fans can come to our board with such a disgustingly positive attitude. (see Smith22's comments above) Truth be told, we are the only board a cowpuke can come on and hold his head up so high.

That needs to change in a big way. I think with new attitude in players like Trotter and that Double S brings to the table, the tide will turn...

Art, if Gardener is healthy, the Skins have better tackles than the Giants.

Cornelius Griffin is solid and fairly consistant. Same with Keith Hamilton. Both had better years in 2000 than 2001. Neither played as well as Dan Wilkenson did last season.

Talent-wise, there is no contest. Wilkenson, while never living up to his hype coming out of Ohio State, is a much, much better player than many give him credit for. He can be King Kong in shoulder pads. But he seems to be satisfied with being a good, to very good defensive tackle. Last year, I thought he was very good, considering he was constantly double-teamed. If Wilkenson wants to, he can be one of the top five DTs in the game. You can't say the same about Griffin or Hamilton.

Gardener is similar to Wilkenson. Very, very talented. He IS one of the top DTs in the game. The Dolphins' run defense went south after Gardener went out. Health is his only concern. An unmotivated Daryl Gardener is still a very good defensive tackle. A motivated one is unstoppable.

At end, well, Strahan is the best. Period. Renaldo Wynn is solid and underrated, though. He'll give you top effort and make some plays.

At the other end, Kenny Holmes really came on as a rush end with the Titans, but he regressed considerably with the Giants. Even at 39, Bruce Smith is a better player than Holmes.

In my opinion, the Skins are at least as good, probably better than the Giants at three of the positions. Strahan might tip the scales, but only in the pass rush.

Archived