Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about overtime?

Leonard Washington

It seems like the media and players really don't like overtime that much. Players don't like b/c they are tired and playing longer increases the chances of getting hurt. The media doesn't like it b/c they have deadlines, have planes to catch, or don't really care much about the game. What do you FANS think about overtime in the regular season and playoffs?

POLL TIME!!!!!! :laugh:

I like overtime, but I always thought the sudden death part of it could be better. I think the winner should be the first to 6 points -- if you score a touchdown then you should win, but not kicking a 40 yard field goal. Two field goals while holding the other team to nothing is much more deserving of a win.

I think OT should be held like a scrimmage.. So many plays to score, both teams gets the same ammount of plays.

It's fair. Short and isn't sudden death. Which seem to be the complaint a lot of people have on OT, sudden death isn't fair. Which I don't agree with btw.

Let me start by saying College OT is the biggest showcase of idiocy available in sports. Even the soccer shootout doesn't come until after a real period of OT has been played. College football takes you right into the redzone and thus removes so many of the elements of real football from the game. No field position, no advantage given to teams with better special teams unless one has a piss poor field goal kicker. All in all it's a perversion of the game the ruins it completely.

The problem with the NFL system is less severe. Sudden death isn't such a great idea for a first period of OT. 6 minutes of game clock would be better IMO.

As a player overtime sucks! I once played in a high school game that had SIX freakin' overtimes. Players started to drop like flies. The chance of injures really rises. I was sore for a LONG time because I was playing off. and def. Ever since that I hate overtime. I understand why players don't like it, OVERTIME SUCKS!!

The college Ot is so much more exciting to watch. The National Championship game in '03 Ohio St vs Miami was one of the best football games I have ever seen, period. Th's because of the OT system they have.

In the NFL the first team to get into field goal range wins, that is so boring. The only reason they do that is to keep the networks happy so the game doesn't go longer than they want it to.:point2sky

The correct response was already posted by a couple of people. If you can't stop your opponent, you deserve to lose, plain & simple.

Last week, the Steelers tied their game with a minute left, and New England drove down & scored to win the game at the gun. Should Pittsburgh get another chance to tie? That might sound asenine, but that's the overtime argument in a nutshell.

Overtime was never a problem until a couple of years ago. Some media tool said that overtime games are decided by "coin flips", and enough people bought into that thought that the theory took off. You didn't lose the game because you called heads instead of tails (especially since everyone knows tails never fails). You lost the game because your defense couldn't stop the other team.

The correct response was already posted by a couple of people. If you can't stop your opponent, you deserve to lose, plain & simple.

Who are you to judge what is correct and incorrect? Not saying I disagree with you, but you are far to presumptuous and presume to speak for the football community in it's entirety.. It's correct for you. That doesn't make it correct.

I have spoke on this before in the past. My stance on the situation remains the same. I absolutely despise the way the NFL conducts it's overtime. I feel that both teams should have the opportunity to go on offense. For instance if you have two teams that are strong offensively, and weak defensively, one of those teams are going to get the shaft because the posibilty of the opposing team's defense getting scored on is high. Overtime, if you think about it, is designed for good defenses. The reason why teams go into overtime in the first place is one of three reasons. 1) Both teams have a strong offense. 2)Both teams have a strong defense, or 3) Both teams match up well on both sides of the ball. Now in order for both teams to get possesion of the ball, the team on defense must hold. If the defense does not hold they lose the game, while never having the opportunity to go on offense. This is the part I hate the most because if my offense is the strength of my team, I'm going to want them on the field at least once.

I believe the team that scores first should kick off to give the team a chance to match the score. I dont like the fact that a coin can determine the outcome of the game. You really only need a few intermediate gains to kick a field goal after a average kick return.

Also by allowing the other team to get the ball you are incorporating all 3 units of a team on both sides. It allows each teams strengths to help decide the outcome.

Last week, the Steelers tied their game with a minute left, and New England drove down & scored to win the game at the gun. Should Pittsburgh get another chance to tie? That might sound asenine, but that's the overtime argument in a nutshell.

Overtime was never a problem until a couple of years ago. Some media tool said that overtime games are decided by "coin flips", and enough people bought into that thought that the theory took off. You didn't lose the game because you called heads instead of tails (especially since everyone knows tails never fails). You lost the game because your defense couldn't stop the other team.

My stance is the other team worked just as hard to get to overtime, so it should be even. If you cant stop your opponent then right, you should lose. But the other team should be forced to stop the opponent as well. All phases of the game should be incorporated.

i don't think its fair that both offenses don't get a chance to score. its a let down when a team comes roaring back to force overtime and then lose when the other team gets the ball first. i think the college format is too easy for the pros and puts the defense at a disadvantage.

i think an extra quarter would be perfect for the playoffs because there aren't as many scheduling conflicts (the other game is on a different channel), players wouldn't mind risking injury in that situation, and networks would LOVE the ratings.

My stance is the other team worked just as hard to get to overtime, so it should be even. If you cant stop your opponent then right, you should lose. But the other team should be forced to stop the opponent as well. All phases of the game should be incorporated.

Great minds think alike :chestram:

I like overtime, but I always thought the sudden death part of it could be better. I think the winner should be the first to 6 points -- if you score a touchdown then you should win, but not kicking a 40 yard field goal. Two field goals while holding the other team to nothing is much more deserving of a win.

I agree 100% with you, rydemps. Field goals should be eliminated all together in overtime, it would give both teams an even chance, instead of who's lucky enough to get the call on the coin toss. You only need a semi good kick return and a couple first downs and your in field goal range.

Archived