Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL's 2nd Ranked Defense

SouthernSkinsFan

If my trusty little calculator is working correctly, we moved into 2nd place in the league defensive rankings today, ahead of Philthy and Buffalo. Tampa Bay would still be number 1 statiscally.

Of course, I'm sure in just a few posts this we be met with pessimism and realism and "it's the points that count" and all that, but let me enjoy, will ya?

I tell ya, guys, strange things could happen this year. :D

Sweet. We gave up zero yards this weekend :) haha. It is a great stat, and I think this year we're doing better about giving up points too. The way I look at it, a fumble and a gimmick play are the only touchdowns given up. I really think this defense will get better.. that's not good for the rest of the NFL :point2sky

Points do count a great deal, points per game is one of the best ways of measuring any defense. So how do our skins measure up? 3rd with 10 points per game. The Bengals are 2nd with 9.3 and...I never thought I'd be writing this....the COLTS are 1st with 5.3 In yards per game I'm still seeing the skins(258.5) rank 3rd. Behind Tampa (218.3) and Jacksonvilke (252.7).

No matter how you look at it, the skins have a great defense.

BTW - Dallas ranks 23rd(342.3) in ypg and 21th(23.0) in ppg. Giants 31st(408.3) in ypg and 25th(24.7) in ppg. Neither is even smelling the top ten right now, they aren't even top 20. hehehe

The iggles are still the second best d in the east, 6th(12.3) in ppg and 5th(275.3) in ypg.

Well, I think our D will see it's biggest test of the young season on Sunday. Seattle can score. This might be the best rushing attack we face all season.

We play KC Tampa and SD later and the KC and Tampa games are on the road so I wouldn't say that Seattle has the best running game this year against us.

Guest sith lord
Well, I think our D will see it's biggest test of the young season on Sunday. Seattle can score. This might be the best rushing attack we face all season.

Not by a long shot.

i hear you guys but i'd rather this schedule then a "cake-walk".. if we can survive the next 5 weeks i think it will give us a good picture of were we are as far as being a playoff caliber team. If we get to the playoffs it won't be because we haven't played quality competition. Bring on all of the top RB's, and when we smash them then lets see what the critics will say then.

When you're formerly a 6-10 team, people start to view you as the cake walk. Skins are underdogs, its gonna be that way all season, though its funny the people in Vegas(is that who decides the opening lines for games?) give the Skins some props (we're currently favorite against the Seahawks)...

I think if our offense can score 17 to 21 points a game we will win a lot of games. I am not sure the defense can keep playing at the level they are just to watch the offense fizzle. 3 and outs tire down the defense fast.

Maybe the offense will get a new found confidence. Brunell has to perform and I swear if I'm Gibbs the first play is a bomb to Moss just to loosen the D up

I honestly believe that we have the best defense in the league...Shaun Alexander will not get 100 yards rushing on Sunday...you can take that to the bank!!

:doh: Why do people keep making these claims? :confused: It's the same thing as talking about a pitcher throwing a no hitter!!! You don't talk about it until it's done.

I think, realistically that on any given day that we have the best defense in the NFL. With the offensive support that we've been getting so far, it's really impressive that the skins are third. The defense, in my opinion, just needs to work on getting pressure on the QB, and forcing those turnovers.

I am not sure the defense can keep playing at the level they are just to watch the offense fizzle. 3 and outs tire down the defense fast.

After last year.. I'm not even sure why people still think that. William's seems to have that unique ability to keep the defense rolling regardless of what is thrown at them. As bad as things were last year, they never rolled over and played dead. Only 2 out of 16 teams got over 20 points on us.. and that was with a 6-10 record.

He kept them going through the Dallas game which, even when it looked like winning the game was far out of reach. I have no doubt this defense will NEVER give up regardless of what the offense does. But it doesn't guarentee the wins.. just makes them so much easier... I honestly believe if our offfense can get over 14 points a game.. we will win most of them!

After last year.. I'm not even sure why people still think that. William's seems to have that unique ability to keep the defense rolling regardless of what is thrown at them. As bad as things were last year, they never rolled over and played dead. Only 2 out of 16 teams got over 20 points on us.. and that was with a 6-10 record.

He kept them going through the Dallas game which, even when it looked like winning the game was far out of reach. I have no doubt this defense will NEVER give up regardless of what the offense does. But it doesn't guarentee the wins.. just makes them so much easier... I honestly believe if our offfense can get over 14 points a game.. we will win most of them!

Giants scored 20

Dallas 21

Green Bay 28

Philly 28

All 3 NFC east teams if that says anything. And I am not down playing the defense just stating it is going to be hard not to give up that one big play a game that beats you.

Our D is on point. Big test this weekend, though. Seattle has the best offense we've seen yet. I think we'll meet the challenge and shut 'em down.

I hope we can score. . . Sure, Portis will be able to run, but, he never seems to find the endzone.

Regardless, our D will keep us in every game this year. With that, anything is possible. We all saw that on Monday night.

Archived