Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something obvious about the offense.

Art

going back and reading this thread post game.. is kinda funny!

Yes.. I'll take hopeless and 2-0. Hopefully this was just what Gibbs and company needed to see to get over the conservative plays. He needs to come up with something that can hurt these Ds when they stack the box and I think htey found at least one possibility!

Amen to that. Moss has wheels and you have to toss the deep ball to stretch the D, period. There were way too many short hitch routes and post routes to be effective. The Cowboys basically stack the line and then drop everyone back into a zone if it's a pass. I remember several times seeing 8 guys in the box. You have to throw the ball downfield to make them respect the pass. It's clear that all the short routes weren't getting the Skins anywhere.

With all the talk about the Skins "luckily" pulling out a win, now that's BS. The Cowboys are clearly not THAT much better than the Skins. Yes, the Cowboys did lose the game, but they never respected the deep ball and after 2 TD's it was too late. The Cowboys never "dominated" on offense, with their only TD being a flee flicker. The Cowboys D is clearly a VERY solid group. The Skins definetly squeaked by with a win but I'm not complaining. :D

Let's hope JG realizes the potential he has and starts launching a deep ball once in a while. This would open up the short hitch routes and short posts/slants for Moss to run. Not to mention Portis sure wouldn't mind some more running room.

maybe Brunell is saving it all up for the last few minutes?

You know, we have the most awesome fans on this board, we have some extremely clever and quick-witted posters, and we have guys who can write so eloquently that it makes everything sound even better than it is. But I'm putting my vote in right now that Bangee made the post of the YEAR at 11:54 on Monday night!!! Way to call it, B7!

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

This is the funniest thread -- go back and reread it ... Brunell sucks ... Brunell can't hit the deep pass ... we were fine until we switched QB's ... is this the best Gibbs can do ... work is going to suck tomorrow ... we are totally outclassed ... we need to dismantle the entire team and start over ... blah, blah, blah.

While we have a lot of work to do, I just saw one of the best Skins victories in the last 10 years. We're 2-0. Brunell just showed incredible poise ... one 4th down play after another ... overcoming 3rd and 25 on last possession ... two perfectly thrown deep balls ... perfect pocket on each deep ball. Did I mention we're 2-0 with a road win against a division rival already in our back pocket. :notworthy

Everyone keeps focusing on the passing game, but the real truth is Portis isn't getting it done on the ground. If we can't get a good rushing game (100 yards a game like in the days of S. Davis) then we can't control the clock, and keep our defense fresh. I was upset that Portis couldn't get a first down with only 3 yards to go. I think we should ask for champ back. Portis is good with pitchs but not up the middle. I would say use Betts in that situation, but the fumble was very upseting. We can't continue to have this many turnovers and still win each week. The pentalities are killing us too. We need to get back to the fundamentals on offense, and not the hope and the prayer hailmary gameplan we saw tonight. But a win is a win go skins.

Art~

Get a good night sleep tonight. You will have a lot of work to do in the following week putting a spin on things.:doh: I'm sure you will write somthing clever and have us all feeling better by Thursday:)

Think I have anything positive to go with?

It's not perfect coverage it's the fact that we dont have any scheme to our passing game...You have to combinate your routes and also run your pass routes at different depths to attack every level of the D...Here are some examples from the game...

1.) On Brunell's int he tried to throw a deep out against cover 2...In this D the corner is taught to force WR to get an inside release on his route and then gain depth on his zone drop if nothing is in front of him in the flats...You have to combo route against the zone defenses today b/c of how fast players are now...If we had a WR or TE on that play release into the flat or run a quick out in front of the corner it puts him in a bind does he cover short(his responsibility in cover 2 or does he drop under the deep out? Thats the benefit of combinating routes it puts the player you are trying to attack in a bind...

2.) Another example I noticed is on third downs alot of the time we run everybody on curl routes and nobody gets open aganst zones...That b/c your not attacking at different depths of the D it's not putting the coverage in a bind the LB's and CB's can sit on the curls...If you run a curl against a zone you have to run a route to clear out the area you want to hit the curl in...

3.) Last example is a play that we actually did attack the D w/a combo route and it resulted in the 1st TD pass to Moss...On that play the Cowboys were in quarters coverage which means each DB was responsible for a deep 1/4 of the field...To attack the Safety(williams) on that play the Skins ran a Double post route...Cooley ran a post across Williams face and forced him to come up on the play, at the same time Moss ran Z 8(post route were WR goes in, out, and back in to the post) by doig this Moss pushed the CB(glenn) outside of him and gained the inside position which Glenn doest mind b/c he is supposed to have a safety sittin on the hash for his help, but Cooley ran a shallow post right in front of Williams and it caused him to come up which gave Moss the crack he needed to get behind him, and at that point all Brunell had to do was throw it over the safety and far enough inside that the CB couldnt come back and make a play on the ball and he made a perfect pass...

Kinda wordy I know but that is what combinating routes to attack a D can do and how it is successful... :2cents:

Don't put Brunell into the HOF yet now.

2 great plays after a game full of 3 yard passes for 0 total points isn't what anyone wants to see weekly. I just hope Gibbs realizes that he needs to use plays like those during the game and not only in the last 3 minutes of games we are down by multiple scores.

The only times early last year the offense worked this well was when we were down to the Cowboys and the Giants. The following weeks the offense went right back to being beyond conservative in trying to hold onto 3 and 7 point leads that eventually were lost.

Don't put Brunell into the HOF yet now.

2 great plays after a game full of 3 yard passes for 0 total points isn't what anyone wants to see weekly. I just hope Gibbs realizes that he needs to use plays like those during the game and not only in the last 3 minutes of games we are down by multiple scores.

The only times early last year the offense worked this well was when we were down to the Cowboys and the Giants. The following weeks the offense went right back to being beyond conservative in trying to hold onto 3 and 7 point leads that eventually were lost.

In fairness 4 plays that I recall. The deep ball to Patten scrambling, the two TDs and the scramble.

Archived