Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(merged) Coles abused as a child

Zen-like Todd

I only slightly disliked Coles, but no one in the world should ever have to go through the horrors of sexual abuse. I was hoping the news would not be posted here because there was a good chance some jerk would think its funny. I am glad he spoke out and showed there is nothing unmanly by telling the truth.

I met Coles at the mall about 2 years ago and wondered why he was so standoffish. Kudos to Coles for doing what he did, who know's who he may be helping. I respect him as a human being, but as a NFL player he quit on his team, good luck with the Jets.

I've often written here that Coles always seemed angry everywhere he went - at Florida State, with the Jets, here in DC. Never happy unless he's unhappy. Not to play pop psychology, but there must be a link between this revelation and the angry approach he seemed to have toward everything. I hope he gets some inner peace by revealing this painful part of his past.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2165781

New York Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles is a survivor of sexual abuse.

In a profile in Sunday editions of The New York Times, Coles said he was molested between the ages of 10 and 13 by a man his mother later married.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver thought he was alone in his inner struggles, and too proud to let any outsiders into his personal prison. But Coles recently decided to free himself of his secret in the hopes it might help other children who have endured abuse.

"I haven't talked about it in ... forever, but I know that holding something like that inside has been a burden for so long," Coles said Sunday after helping the Jets beat Miami 17-7. "For me to get on this platform that I have, having been in the league and have all the media attention that we have, I think it's something that should be said.

"If it gets one kid to come out and say, 'Look, this is happening to me,' ... I think it's right."

Coles remained silent about the abuse for years, instead using it to drive him to become one of the NFL's best receivers. He said even close friends on the Jets were unaware that he had been abused.

According to the Times, Coles' stepfather, whose name the receiver didn't want to reveal, was sentenced to nine years in a Florida prison in 1992 after pleading guilty to the crimes. He served 3½ years,but was later convicted of another crime and has been in prison since 2001.

Coles' mother, Sirretta, divorced her husband when the abuse was first revealed and sought counseling for the youngster. Coles realizes that coming out with this now publicly will reopen old wounds for the family.

"We'll talk about it," Coles said. "I love my mom and we love each other and we'll talk about it briefly and put it behind us again."

Coles told The Times that he received counseling, but it clashed with the athletic mentality of shrugging off injuries.

"You just want to put it behind you," he said. "I think, you know, as a man, when you're violated in that way, you don't know how other people are going to take it, how other people are going to view you. There's so much that comes with revealing that part of your life and story."

Coles doesn't worry about what others might think or say about what he went through. He's proven himself to be a star on the football field, now in his sixth NFL season -- and second stint with the Jets after spending the last two years with Washington.

"I think with age comes maturity, and I think now that I'm a little older, I think I can deal with it a little better and I just want to help kids because I think it happens to more people in this world than we actually allow ourselves to believe," said Coles, 27.

"Coming up, I always felt like I was the only one that ever happened to. Then, when I started going to different sessions, they let me know that it happens to a lot more people."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/09/18/coles.jets.ap/index.html

Jets receiver reveals he was sexually abused as child

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Laveranues Coles held a dark secret that caused him nightmares for many years, one he never told any of his New York Jets teammates.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver thought he was alone in his inner struggles, and too proud to let any outsiders into his personal prison. But Coles recently decided to free himself of his secret: He was sexually abused as a young boy by his stepfather.

"I haven't talked about it in ... forever, but I know that holding something like that inside has been a burden for so long," Coles said Sunday after helping the Jets beat Miami 17-7. "For me to get on this platform that I have, having been in the league and have all the media attention that we have, I think it's something that should be said.

"If it gets one kid to come out and say, `Look, this is happening to me,' ... I think it's right."

In a story first reported by The New York Times, Coles acknowledged he was molested from ages 10-13 while growing up in Jacksonville, Fla., by the man his mother later married.

He was only in sixth grade when the incidents started, but Coles kept it to himself. When a fight in school two years later prompted the police to question his violent behavior, Coles came out with the revelation.

"It still bothers you," Coles said. "I mean, there's certain things that you really don't want to deal with, you don't want to remember. But I had my peace with it. It's something that's not happening anymore. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and think about it, but now I'm fine."

According to the Times, Coles' stepfather, whose name the receiver didn't want to reveal, was sentenced to nine years in a Florida prison in 1992 after pleading guilty to the infractions. He served 3½ years, but was later convicted of another crime and has been in prison since 2001.

Coles' mother, Sirretta, divorced her husband when the abuse was first revealed and sought counseling for the youngster. Coles realizes that coming out with this now publicly will reopen old wounds for the family.

"We'll talk about it," Coles said. "I love my mom and we love each other and we'll talk about it briefly and put it behind us again."

Coles doesn't worry about what others might think or say about what he went through. He's proven himself to be a star on the football field, now in his sixth NFL season -- and second stint with the Jets after spending the last two years with Washington.

"I think with age comes maturity, and I think now that I'm a little older, I think I can deal with it a little better and I just want to help kids because I think it happens to more people in this world than actually allow ourselves to believe," Coles said. "Coming up, I always felt like I was the only one that ever happened to. Then, when I started going to different sessions, they let me know that it happens to a lot more people."

Completely a different side to our once beloved Coles. Maybe this explains some of his behavior and attitude issues. In any event, whatever I thought about him as a quitter on the team last year - I can respect the guy for coming forward and telling this intimately painful and personal story that is the story of way too many children in this country.

I most seriously invite the readers of this thread to decline the opportunity to make stupid statements or jokes about Coles with regard to this issue.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2165781

Coles: I am a survivor of sexual abuseESPN.com news services

New York Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles is a survivor of sexual abuse.

In a profile in Sunday editions of The New York Times, Coles said he was molested between the ages of 10 and 13 by a man his mother later married.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver thought he was alone in his inner struggles, and too proud to let any outsiders into his personal prison. But Coles recently decided to free himself of his secret in the hopes it might help other children who have endured abuse.

"If it gets one kid to come out and say, 'Look, this is happening to me,' ... I think it's right."

Laveranues Coles came forward on Sunday as a survivor of sexual abuse.

Coles remained silent about the abuse for years, instead using it to drive him to become one of the NFL's best receivers. He said even close friends on the Jets were unaware that he had been abused.

According to the Times, Coles' stepfather, whose name the receiver didn't want to reveal, was sentenced to nine years in a Florida prison in 1992 after pleading guilty to the crimes. He served 3½ years,but was later convicted of another crime and has been in prison since 2001.

Coles told The Times that he received counseling, but it clashed with the athletic mentality of shrugging off injuries.

"You just want to put it behind you," he said. "I think, you know, as a man, when you're violated in that way, you don't know how other people are going to take it, how other people are going to view you. There's so much that comes with revealing that part of your life and story."

"I think with age comes maturity, and I think now that I'm a little older, I think I can deal with it a little better and I just want to help kids because I think it happens to more people in this world than we actually allow ourselves to believe," said Coles, 27.

"Coming up, I always felt like I was the only one that ever happened to. Then, when I started going to different sessions, they let me know that it happens to a lot more people."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Wow. I had heard about this a few days ago, but didn't know the details.

All I can say is that I am very grateful not to be able to emphasize with him, but I certainly do sympathize. It takes massive guts to admit -- in public -- something like this.

he was molested between the ages of 10 and 13 by a man his mother later married

Ah geez. :( :mad:

I realize that I ragged on Coles in another thread. I cannot feel right about that without at least giving him props for this. He does have a lot of courage to come forward with this. I cannot imagine much worse that a child could have to go through. I hope he has a successful life even if it is not in the NFL.

Archived