Brunell

24 Drives

4 Touchdowns

7 FG (6 good, 1 miss)

0 Interceptions

1 Fumble (not his)

8 Punts

3 Kneel downs

Keep in mind that Brunell faced 2nd team defenses in the preseason but still the difference between the two is pretty amazing.

Nice summary. Like you stated though Brunell was going against back ups for the most part (but also had backup recievers in the game). Interesting non the less. Curious as to how many throwing yards each had.

Brunell went against second teamers but he was also playing with second teamers. I just hope those thumbs don't hinder Jansen from closing off his backside.

I think last year he had no faith in the right tackle covering his back so he rolled out of the pocket ASAP. If he can get some time this year he will do great things. He has always been able to improvise. If initial coverage is good then he can make plays with his feet. The recievers have to keep moving and come back to him.

Yeah, and Danny Wuerfel was absolutely stunning while going against backups a few years back...oh, and don't forget he was also playing with back ups, so preseason play is still a pretty good measure of how a QB will do against starters, right?

For those not quite catching on, I'm not saying that Brunell and Wuerfel are equal in talent....but I'm saying that the players they faced in preseason were. Players that could make a Wuerfel look like a Pro Bowler. Let's not overlook that fact.

One other stat to keep in mine:

3rd down conversions against the Bears -

Ramsey 4 of 7 3rd downs converted

Brunell 2 of 9 3rd downs converted

Converting 3rd downs keeps the chains moving, too...

Unfortunately for Ramsey, yards don't = wins.

The exact reason why Ramsey is on the pine is that he gives the ball away. People say "only 3 drives" but what did he do in those drives? Sure, he made some nice passes, but in the end you coughed up the ball twice and threw a bad looking pick. Make any excuse you want, but Brunell didn't fumble or throw a pick. In the end, Ramsey just doesn't get results.

Unfortunately for Ramsey, yards don't = wins.

The exact reason why Ramsey is on the pine is that he gives the ball away. People say "only 3 drives" but what did he do in those drives? Sure, he made some nice passes, but in the end you coughed up the ball twice and threw a bad looking pick. Make any excuse you want, but Brunell didn't fumble or throw a pick. In the end, Ramsey just doesn't get results.

When's the last time Brunell lead the Skins to 20 points? When's the last time Ramsey did? Those are results, too...although ones that apparently quite a few people like to overlook.

And exactly how many points did Ramsey's 4 conversions get us?

It got us one TD that got called back thru no fault of his own...

How many passes did Brunell complete on that first drive to get the Skins a field goal??...Exactly what was his contribution to merit being credited with "leading" the Skins to a score?

It got us one TD that got called back thru no fault of his own...

How many passes did Brunell complete on that first drive to get the Skins a field goal??...Exactly what was his contribution to merit being credited with "leading" the Skins to a score?

How many points did Ramsey get us last week? None. You lose. He's can't handle pressure. He had 3 drives: 2 fumbles and 1 int.

Brunell might not complete as many passes, but he doesn't throw interceptions every game. Points win games and Ramsey gives the other team points.

Keep in mind...Brunell went in and his timing was off with the first string receivers. He's been working all week with them, and I wouldn't be surprised if he worked longer then normal wit them this week. So before we can compare the 2 during the same game, let Brunell practice wit them, get the timing together down, and now we'll see. As for comparing last years stats to this year....there are new plays this year that stretch the field...and he should have more time with a better OL. So throw out last year, and let's see what he does this year. I didn't think Brunell could do the long ball either, but now knowing they didn't have alot of long ball plays last year, maybe that's why. Plus I think we've upgraded our receivers. So before we get all uppity and want to throw him out...let's sit dow, grab a beer or two, and see what he can do...don't lose the faith yet.

:gaintsuck

How many points did Ramsey get us last week? None. You lose. He's can't handle pressure. He had 3 drives: 2 fumbles and 1 int.

Brunell might not complete as many passes, but he doesn't throw interceptions every game. Points win games and Ramsey gives the other team points.

Actually, Brunell turned the ball over 7 out of the 9 games he played in last year. A good amount of them led directly to points for the other teams.

How many points did Ramsey give the other team? Zero.

How many points did Brunell give the other team? Zero.

How many times did the Skins threaten to score a TD with Ramsey in one quarter? Once.

How many times did the Skins threaten to score a TD with Brunell in three quarters? Once.

How many TDs did the Skins score with Ramsey in one quarter? None.

How many TDs did the Skins score with Brunell in three quarters? None.

What percentage of the offense did Ramsey make up while he was playing? 88%

What percentage of the offense did Brunell make up while he was playing? 30%

What percentage of 3rd downs did Ramsey convert? 57%

What percentage of 3rd downs did Brunell convert? 22%

What was Ramsey's yards per attempt? 9.55 ypa

What was Brunell's yards per attempt? 5.0 ypa

The difference, I think, between Ramsey and Brunell supporters...is that Ramsey supporters never once declare that turnovers are unimportant or irreleveant...only that they should not be the only measuring stick.

Brunell supporters, though, seem to feel that yards thrown, 3rd down conversions, yards per attempt, and sustained drives into the red zone are all irrelevant stats when assessing a QB's play.

What's more baffling, though, is this desire to actually champion a QB who leads the Skins to--gasp--three field goals...one of which the QB had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it's success, beyond handing the ball off to the running backs for a whopping 7 yards. One drive that ends in a touchdown brings almost as many points as three drives that end with a field goal...so you'll forgive me if I'm a little underwhelmed at the stat of Brunell courageously leading the Skins offense to three field goals.

You CANNOT refer back to Brunells stats last year because of him being hurt during the Giants game. Im excited about seeing Brunell now that he is healthy and did good in preseason. Im SO sick of hearing that Ramsey didnt get a fair shake because he had 4 years of shakes and never produced in any of them. So everyone who is pissed about Ramsey NOT starting, get over it and cheer for the Skins not the player.......i didnt want ramsey to start period this year because he SUCKS but i supported him going into the season so now support brunell

Bottomline -- Gawd I hope Brunell looks better in this regular season than he looked last regular season, and Ramsey looked in preseason.

Because as bad as Brunell and Ramsey look right now -- Campbell looks quite a bit worse; and that's against 2nd/3rd stringers (not saying he won't improve with time)

WHEN will the QB position finally be a strong point for the Skins again?

You CANNOT refer back to Brunells stats last year because of him being hurt during the Giants game. Im excited about seeing Brunell now that he is healthy and did good in preseason. Im SO sick of hearing that Ramsey didnt get a fair shake because he had 4 years of shakes and never produced in any of them. So everyone who is pissed about Ramsey NOT starting, get over it and cheer for the Skins not the player.......i didnt want ramsey to start period this year because he SUCKS but i supported him going into the season so now support brunell

Let's see.. In Year One, he came in and flashed brilliance.

In Year Two, he led the Redskins to a 3-1 start before teams figured out how crappy the protection scheme was.

In Year Three, he came in after Brunell was benched and instantly yardage, points, and win percentage went up.

Bottomline -- Gawd I hope Brunell looks better in this regular season than he looked last regular season, and Ramsey looked in preseason.

Because as bad as Brunell and Ramsey look right now -- Campbell looks quite a bit worse; and that's against 2nd/3rd stringers (not saying he won't improve with time)

THIS is a post I can agree with. I hope Brunell lights it up against Dallas this Monday.

I do, too...

I'm not quite ready to chalk up last year's horrendous performance by Brunell as being nothing more than due to a hamstring. And 70 yards and nine points isn't gonna make me think otherwise, turnovers or no turnovers.

Let's see.. In Year One, he came in and flashed brilliance.

In Year Two, he led the Redskins to a 3-1 start before teams figured out how crappy the protection scheme was.

In Year Three, he came in after Brunell was benched and instantly yardage, points, and win percentage went up.

In Year Four he stunk it up during preseason and showed zero progress in terms of either becoming comfortable as an NFL QB or within the Gibbs offense.

swear according to some of you, you might as well consider preseason the Superbowl..

Put an asterix next to those stats.. They mean zilch

Unless you're Antonio Brown....

Archived