Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: A Difficult Position To Defend - Wilbon

spanishomelette

After his rant, Wilbon shifted gears in the last par. The fact is that we have a dominating defense, an excellent running game, fast receivers who can actually catch, and an excellent coaching staff. All we need is a QB who doesn't make too many mistakes and we can win enough games to squeeze into the playoffs. PR isn't that QB, MB could be. So Joe made the change. We're 1-0 and Dallas/Parcells is up next. Joe just wants his best shot at winning.

He hit it exactly on the head. We will see where Brunell is at currently come Monday night but I think it will be no better then last season. I saw some of the worst play in my life from a NFL QB last season from Brunell. Have others forgotten how much he sucked?

Brunell is gonna take us a lot further than most of us think. He sustained drives and with time' date=' will score TDs. Think about it... We got into the redzone 3 times and got stopped because we couldn't punch it in on the ground. That will come with time. The score could have easily been 21-7.[/quote']

It's been two years. He's bound to score a touchdown eventually.

Have others forgotten how much he sucked?

No one has which is why so many are against him and also why so many were so surprised at how well he looked in the preseason.

I'm all for the guy and think we can get it done :cheers:.

As bad as he looked last year I have more confidence in the offense with him on the field rather than PR.

Way too early to count out Brunell which Wilbon, and alot of other people here, are basically doing. And no, we do NOT need MB to pass for 200+ ypg to win. Our defense and running game are that good.

I'm willing to bet there will be alot of crow served regarding MB this season.

What I simply cannot get past is that Jacksonville gave up on Brunell - the biggest star in franchise history - three years ago. And they haven't looked back.

And after seeing him last year, it was hard to doubt that decision. I just can't believe that three years later, he has improved.

I agree with Wilbon, totally. We don't have a qb and at the rate Coach Joe is going WE NEVER WILL. We need to accept that something is wrong with coach. This isn't the Joe Gibbs we know. He's been LYING to Ramsey telling him he was going to give him a "real chance" to lead this team. The coach I know doesn't lie to players! And what makes him think Brunell is going to be any better this year than he was last. Joe Gibbs has been "messing" with Ramsey's head ever since he got here and can you imagine what all this is doing to Jason Campbell. We all know that (barring the death of brunell) Joe is not going to put a rookie in to start/play a game. And with the way he has been lying to ramsey why would campbell trust him to tell him the truth about his plan. By the way does coach have a plan.? He can't be planning to beat dallas next week--not with brunell! I had high hopes for this season, but after this, I think we'll be lucky to go 1-15 this year.

So if Brunell throws for sub 90 yards and no TD's, do you still stand behind him? Just asking? I hope he can prove me wrong, I really really do. Now that I'm calm and collective, all I want is somebody that can help us win games, no matter who it is. I know I said some crazy stuff during the heat, but now I don't care, come Monday I'm going to be cheering regardless.

This is a pretty good article by Wilbon. We had a great defense last year, pretty decent WRs, very good RBs and Brunell still couldn't get it done. Brunell has looked a little better in this preseason and we can only hope that he can carry this into the season but Wilbon has nailed it as far as where we are now after week 1.

So if Brunell throws for sub 90 yards and no TD's, do you still stand behind him? Just asking?

Depends on how it's done. If he does it going 6-20, misfiring on potential TDs and/or chain moving completions then no, this is inexcusable.

If it's done going 9-14 with 35+ running plays being called then I dont and wont see a problem.

Stop looking through them rosey color glasses and see the facts. We are a team with no QB! period wake up,

And he said we have strangths TRUE and pointed them out. And he said that if we cant get a qb to step up were doomed, again true. What the hell in his report is false? Point out one line. its that simple, no QB no playoffs.

I believe that you are incorrect. Several teams have made the SB with an average QB. Our team needs a mistake-free QB that can read defenses. Special teams and the defense along with our OL will carry this team.

For the X millionth time. What brunell did against 2nd stringers is, for all intents and purposes, MEANINGLESS. We sure saw what he can do against first stringers in the bears game. Reminded me a lot of something i've tried to repress - last season. If I see anything on monday night that resembles last season, or last week, I might have to get a shrink. If brunell isn't getting it done by week 5 or 6, it's time to start campbell. If we aren't going to work for this season, at least we can work for the next one.
As a measurement of arm strength, I don't care who his throws were against. He still needs to prove, though, that he can get it done as a starter in this league.

Wilbon is a good reporter and writer but he has NEVER been knowledgeable on the NFL. The NBA he knows like the back of his hand, but when it comes to the NFL he's clueless.

Not saying he's wrong, rather I don't consider him a good source when it comes to the NFL.

HTTR

I believe that you are incorrect. Several teams have made the SB with an average QB. Our team needs a mistake-free QB that can read defenses. Special teams and the defense along with our OL will carry this team.

The problem that I have comparing this team to teams such as the 2000 Ravens, is that there are differences. That Ravens team forced 49 takeaways, including 26 fumble recoveries.

As good as our current defense is, it's strength does not lie in forcing turnovers. Despite the Ravens average offense, they were able to score points via their playmaking defense and special team, compensating for their offensive deficiencies.

Our special teams currently have question marks as well. It's definitely not up to par with the special teams unit of the 2000 Ravens.

In summation, we are going to need the offense to score a few points. Hopefully that occurs.

It irritates me that people neglect to mention 2 fumbles, 1 interception, zero points in 3 series in articles like these. Sure, Ramsey made some nice throws, but he negated them every series to the point that at least a sure FG was not possible. Ramsey lost the job for now, Brown lost his job for good. That is just the way it is. I expect to see Ramsey again, Brunell will get injured or have a rough time of it and Gibbs will put Ramsey back in to see what he can do. If he fumbles the job again, then Campbell will get his shot much earlier than even Gibbs wants.

No one has which is why so many are against him and also why so many were so surprised at how well he looked in the preseason.

I'm all for the guy and think we can get it done :cheers:.

As bad as he looked last year I have more confidence in the offense with him on the field rather than PR.

Neither QB is the ideal situation, but at least Ramsey has potential. Gibbs and the coaching staff are apparently unable to coax this potential out of PR. Brunell's potential is 10 years behind him.

The problem that I have comparing this team to teams such as the 2000 Ravens, is that there are differences. That Ravens team forced 49 takeaways, including 26 fumble recoveries.

As good as our current defense is, it's strength does not lie in forcing turnovers. Despite the Ravens average offense, they were able to score points via their playmaking defense and special team, compensating for their offensive deficiencies.

Our special teams currently have question marks as well. It's definitely not up to par with the special teams unit of the 2000 Ravens.

In summation, we are going to need the offense to score a few points. Hopefully that occurs.

Good point on the Ravens defense and special teams.

Not so much on the Rams defense. That 1999 Rams defense was very shaky. They looked good, though, because they were constantly playing with leads of 15-20 points, when the team was in obvious passing situations. They were most assuredly not even in the same area code as our defense.

Neither QB is the ideal situation, but at least Ramsey has potential. Gibbs and the coaching staff are apparently unable to coax this potential out of PR. Brunell's potential is 10 years behind him.
Given Gibbs' decision to bench him and given the fact that we haven't exactly seen a lot of improvement from Ramsey now in his 4th year, does Ramsey have potential, or have we already seen it? Look at the Ramsey scouting report thread as food for thought.

Wilbon's point: Quarterback Crisis not controversy-- I agree Mike.

I like Ramsey and I think with the Shotgun, he was improving and making some plays, yet he still was making turnovers and holding onto the ball too long. I had accepted that their was a good chance that PR would throw possibly 1 INT a game this year.....which I could live with, especially if he threw 2-3 TD's/game (which again I think was possible in at least many of our games this year). And I agree with Wilbon, I am also a bit suprised that Ramsey got pulled again so early.

I like Brunell and the fact he limits the TO's, can scramble and is a bit more accurate than PR. Yet, my problem is that many of the O tweaking (shotgun, faster WR's/deep threat) was aimed to help Patrick (fails to see the field, read coverage, bad plays under pressure) and it was working (at least somewhat). The bad on MB is that we'll see more 1 yd short of a 1st down, more hitches, more WR screens (that rarely working Spurrier plays) and less spreading out plays which hurts our run game. Brunell looks healthy and can scramble again, but he still lacks the zip that we saw in the preseason.

Gotta hope that the D and the run game can keep us alive until Campbell is ready.....I suppose.

Good point on the Ravens defense and special teams.

Not so much on the Rams defense. That 1999 Rams defense was very shaky. They looked good, though, because they were constantly playing with leads of 15-20 points, when the team was in obvious passing situations. They were most assuredly not even in the same area code as our defense.

As you alluded to, that Rams team had the luxury of playing with leads such as 15-20 points on a consistent basis. That Rams team also had the presence of pass rushers such as Grant Wistrom and Kevin Carter, who put pressure on opposing qbs on a consistent basis.

The problem with the Rams comparision is that our offense is light years away from the unit they had that season. If their offense wasn't as explosive, the defense probably would have been exposed more often.

Also, the 99 Rams were excellent on special teams. They were also able to score points via Az-Hakim returns for scores.

Depends on how it's done. If he does it going 6-20, misfiring on potential TDs and/or chain moving completions then no, this is inexcusable.

If it's done going 9-14 with 35+ running plays being called then I dont and wont see a problem.

Considering that even Joe Gibbs in his first stint as coach didn't run the ball that much, I would be very, very concerned because we likely wouldn't be winning.

Archived