Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs's Play-Calling

method man

Gibbs is not a good in-game coach. He gets way too conservative at the end. I fess up that I thought the D would blow it and the bears would get the game-winning field goal. I feel instead of running it three straight times. We should have tried to get a first down on taht last set of downs so we could have run out the clock. I hate how Gibbs plays not to lose. If we play to win, we will be a much better team.

I am happy, we won, we won, we won, we won. Gibbs controled this team to a WIN, what more do you want. We could have passed, thrown an INT and it get returned for a TD. Instead they put it into the most effective offensive weapon we have, THE RUNNING BACKS, fully knowing that we have a VERY strong defense, AND our punter can put them deep. I would rather us be conservative and win 9-7 then have an INT and us lose...

I dont like this reliance on execution. You can only rely on execution when you have superior players. Quite frankly, the redskins do not have superior players. They have good solid players, but they aren't going to wow anyone with sheer skill and athleticism. Scheme is what gets teams to overachieve. Scheme is what allows our D to be one of the top in the league. I find our schemes on offense to be wholly unimpressive. We need a bonafide offensive coordinator more than we need anything else. I hope we see a lot more against dallas, because if we do anything like what we did on sunday against the bears, it's gonna be a loooooong monday night.

look, if you don't realize this, you're not paying attention

the second Gibbs doesn't trust the man behind center, in comes the conservo playcalling we hated last season

you saw it on Sunday

Burns calls the plays, but Gibbs has final word

Gibbs saw we could win by two points, that's enough for him

let's run the clock out and play Redskins defense

exactly what we did

untill Gibbs really trust his QB (Brunell now), we won't see those big plays

I'm hoping Gibbs had Burns save the good stuff for the division game Monday night because it looked awfully alot like last year. Towards the end the playcalling was expected, we were just trying to eat up the clock and have our D save the day but aside from a few plays the beginning was giving me deja vu. Where were the plays that play to Portis strengths? Hopefully we'll see some interesting yardage gainers custom designed to piss off Parcells Monday.

Burns is calling the plays but Joe has final say while things are going. Now while we're at it, I'd like to take Joe to task on how he wears his hat. Ridiculous wearing it that low. Man clearly has no idea how to wear one. He needs to listen to Buges. Now there's a guy who knows how to wear a hat.

( knowing that Buges doesn't always wear a hat).

I dont like this reliance on execution. You can only rely on execution when you have superior players. Quite frankly, the redskins do not have superior players. They have good solid players, but they aren't going to wow anyone with sheer skill and athleticism. Scheme is what gets teams to overachieve. Scheme is what allows our D to be one of the top in the league. I find our schemes on offense to be wholly unimpressive. We need a bonafide offensive coordinator more than we need anything else. I hope we see a lot more against dallas, because if we do anything like what we did on sunday against the bears, it's gonna be a loooooong monday night.

Totally agree with this. We need a more imaginative offense ASAP. Wasn't Portis saying last year the offense was totally predicatable? Do your thing Gibbs and adapt!

I disagree with this. We absolutely have superior players in certain areas of the game, namely on defense. Our defense is superior to most offenses in the NFL.

Our running back is superior. Our offensive line is showing it is superior, as it managed a good game vs a very tough defense.

Our scheme is brutally simple.

Pound the ball. Wear the opponent down. Play tough defense, win the battle of field position and grind them into submission.

Same scheme Gibbs has always used to tremendous success.

We've got the personel to play this way.

To the original post, have faith in this defense, my friend. This defense doesn't give up the game like others we've seen in the past. The Bears game was a prime example of how this scheme works. We pounded up the middle to not much success early on, but never stopped, and by the mid-3rd quarter they just couldn't stop it. By the 4th quarter our OL was mauling them.

What I'd like to see is some TDs once we get in the red zone, but I think the scheme is sound based on the players we have.

As to our offense being predictable,, listen to Joe Jacoby wax about the old days,,, he'll tell you that he used to come to the line and tell the defense the play, knowing they knew it was yet another run up the gut, knowing they couldn't stop it.

the difference in last year was that our predictable offense was able to be stopped, and thisyear it may not be so easy to do that.

~Bang

In Joe Gibbs we trust? I'm not gonna bash the guy because I AM a little tired of the predictability of the offense. However, I don't know whether its the playcalling causing it or whether its the execution causing the playcalling.

Now the fake reverse playaction pass to Royal Sunday was a thing of beauty. That one play tell you that there's much more in this playbook. I think Gibbs needs to be comfortable with the oline, the QB AND THE BACKS to pull off that stuff. We can say the oline looks great all we want but the QB needs time to set his feet to pull off these wanted big plays.

There is still some pressure not being picked up correctly and I am guessing that they are working on that before getting "exotic" on offense. God I hope there's more!

Burns is calling the plays but Joe has final say while things are going. Now while we're at it, I'd like to take Joe to task on how he wears his hat. Ridiculous wearing it that low. Man clearly has no idea how to wear one.

I've lost all faith in him because of that. He has lost it. It's 2005 now, not 1992. He lied to me when he switched back to the red hat and I feel personally betrayed.

That was a joke, in case people missed it... :D

So you're telling me it's conservative to call running plays for a running back who had 121 yards rushing during the game? WTF are you smoking? I don't think it was conservative as much as Gibbs realizing he has a great RB who rarely fumbles the ball.

You know what? I like the fact we finally have a D that can step up to the plate and conserve a win for us. GO DEFENSE! GO SKINS!

A littel history lesson for those of you who haven't been around for a while. Gibbs will do whatever it takes to win. I will direct you to the part of this board where old scores are kept. In 1982, we won SB 17 by winning a ton of close, low scoring games during the year. Often in the forth quarter, we ran Riggo and took six or seven minutes off the clock and that was that. I believe we won one game with nothinb but filed goals and beat the Giants 15-14 with three field goals and one TD with a missed extra piont. The O didn't come around until the playoffs really. Bottom line: YOU DON'T GET STYLE POINTS! We won, go from there. As for the QB stuff, I don't care, if Joe thinks Mark will win us more games then that is it. I think he knows a bit more about football than me.

I have to disagree with you on this. Gibbs saw something in that Bears game and completely changed the playcalling. They switched to the traps and the draws and it was then that Portis started piling up yards.

One twist on this and how the media portrays the Redskins "formula" and offense. How did the Falcons win last night...by playing solid defense and running the ball. Granted we have no QB with Vick's playmaking skills, but his passing doesn't put much fear in defenses either. Either way, when the Falcons do it, it is written up as a great formula...when the Skins do it....its an inept offense...

Archived