Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concerns with play calling / QB choice

rdsknsfan4life

Does anybody else have some concerns about the play calling?

I thought they mixed up the run plays well but the passing game sucked, especially when Brunnel entered the game.

When Patrick was in the game he would throw the ball down field. Patrick is a threat to the defensive secondary. They have to respect his arm because he can get the ball in there. Brunnel on the other hand is no threat. It's like he is afraid to throw it further than 10 yards. I don't know who to blame. Is it Brunnel's fault for not throwing it downfield or the Offensive Coordinator's fault for not calling good plays?

I don't know why they insist on throwing those short passes in the flat. Those things went nowhere last year and they went no where yesterday. It's like pissing a down away. I hate that play. They should delete it from the playbook.

Patrick has to learn how to protect the ball. He has to learn to throw it away or take the sack but he's still better than "no threat" Brunnel. If he can learn to throw it away then he'll be pretty decent.

I remember Mark Rypien struggling with the same thing. He worked through it and so will Patrick if Coach gives him time.

I feel sorry for Patrick because he gets no grace. If he isn't perfect then he gets crusified. It's tough to perform with those expectations placed on you.

My take is this: I'd rather go with the guy who is a threat, but still has a few things to learn (Ramsey) than go with the guy who knows everything but doesn't have the ability to be a threat (Brunnel). Brunnel is a nice back up but nothing more.

One last thing...GOSH I hope we smash Dallas in the mouth. I want to see some Cowboys get Drilled!

My take is this: I'd rather go with the guy who is a threat, but still has a few things to learn (Ramsey) than go with the guy who knows everything but doesn't have the ability to be a threat (Brunnel). Brunnel is a nice back up but nothing more.!

Green Bay decided to go that route several years ago and i would say it worked out well for them.... :laugh:

Look I'd rather go down fighting then roll over and play dead. With Ramsey in there we attack, and sometimes it bites us in the @ss via a turnover. With Brunell in there we play coward football, more likely to run/throw out of bounds then dare risk anything downfield. The guy plays like he's more interested in getting off the field without making a bad play, then he is in making a good one and scoring some points. Just look at the guys play, less then 100 yards passing is nothing new for him....this is Brunell ball: Mistake free football at the expense of scoring any points.

I don't know why they insist on throwing those short passes in the flat. Those things went nowhere last year and they went no where yesterday. It's like pissing a down away. I hate that play. They should delete it from the playbook.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

My thoughts exactly. Once or twice a game at the most if the CB's are really giving 10 yard cusions. But come on. That play is just awful.

Yeah, our playcalling is just too conservative. Brunell can get it there. He's showed zip on the ball this year, so I'm not concerned about arm strength. (Now if I am a Jets fan, I'm trembling in fear because Pennington has arm/shoulder problems!)

We've got to take some shots downfield. Once we get inside the 10, we get so predictable.

If you look at the Bears, they made a commitment for throwing the ball downfield and "taking their chances". Although our corners and safeties covered each of these attempts, at least they were still taking their attempts, and that was with a rookie QB in his first game.

We know that we have fast wide receivers that should be able to get downfield seperation, so we really need to "take our chances" and throw downfield more often. Especially with the play-fake on the first down. Hopefully, we can get Ramsey back next week, because he is much better at downfield passing then Brunell, but I think that Gibbs is going to go the conservative route and start Brunell.

This is a great concern. It seemed like when Gibbs put Brunell in the game, he completely closed up his playbook. I think this was because of the fear of turning the ball over, however towards the last 2 minutes of the game we could have sealed the game without having the defense to go out on the field again if we had converted on that 3rd down and we had to punt. When Ramsey was in the game we were throwing the ball, I believe his average was 17 yards per pass BUT he turned the ball over, which kills us. But if you look closely, it was a wide-reciever problem, again. If Brunell was making the same pass in that direction, he would have had the same result.

Right now what we are failing to see is that both QB's are servicable, however we expect pro-bowl caliber play out of these now "seasoned" QB's, both Ramsey and Mark. Both QB's are trying not to make the mistakes, however we are an attacking offense with Ramsey that turns the ball over, and a conservative one with Brunell that dumps off short passes and grinds the football. What gives? Our play calling needs to give Mark the opportunity to exploit defenses. He did it with that one play to Santana Moss over the middle. We need to give him opportunities as well, similar to the ones we've given Ramsey.

I believe we need to keep Ramsey in the game, please don't put Brunell in, Ramsey needs to continue to develop. He is improving and we need to give him a chance to develop, we have a much higher chance of winning with him, with Brunell we are going to see the exact same team as last year, because of QB play and conservative play calling.

Actually, I think that play does have a point, when the CB is giving a lot of cushion. It forces the CB to play closer, to help the WR go deep eventually.

Also, for a guy like Moss or Brown, who probably can beat a guy one-on-one, you might be able to get good yards. I think Moss got about 8 yards on one.

I agree after a certain point, it doesn't do much good, but it can be good to keep the defense honest.

The play which the interception happened really mystifies me. If the play was to throw to Moss in the flat, what was Patton still doing there? Patton should have run out the defender. If he did that, the guy wouldn't have been there to pick off Ramsey. I really don't see a good reason why Patton should have been there, and was partially responsible for the pick.

Jason

Also being at the game, the Bears knew exactly what we were going to do in every play, except one, where we took Patten and Moss out, put Cooley in and James Thrash and basically "tricked" the Bears into believing we were running. They were stacking 8-10 men in the box every time and our O-line simply outplayed them. We need to develop the play action again and use it till defenses are scared.

Look I'd rather go down fighting then roll over and play dead. With Ramsey in there we attack, and sometimes it bites us in the @ss via a turnover. With Brunell in there we play coward football, more likely to run/throw out of bounds then dare risk anything downfield. The guy plays like he's more interested in getting off the field without making a bad play, then he is in making a good one and scoring some points. Just look at the guys play, less then 100 yards passing is nothing new for him....this is Brunell ball: Mistake free football at the expense of scoring any points.

coward football...coward football?...playing within the installed limitations

is not cowardly..

I guess you considered the '85 Bears cowards...do you really think

these thoughts out..or just post whatever creeps into your skull?

this was the 4th time in the last 6 games..that we've won..

The INT that was fortunately turned into a PI was a duck and stayed in the air long enough to procreate come down with a whole family of footballs.

If you watch the play you'll see that Moss would have been in position to catch the ball and probably would have if his jersey wasnt ripped off. I dont like it when QBs throw into double coverage but I like that we took a shot downfield.

If you watch the play you'll see that Moss would have been in position to catch the ball and probably would have if his jersey wasnt ripped off. I dont like it when QBs throw into double coverage but I like that we took a shot downfield.

Moss had no chance at that pass, yes the safety did grab his jersey, but that corner who got the pick earlier in the game was going to snatch it anyway. Mainly because you shouldn't throw jump balls to recievers who only stand 5'10.

coward football...coward football?...playing within the installed limitations

is not cowardly..

I guess you considered the '85 Bears cowards...do you really think

these thoughts out..or just post whatever creeps into your skull?

this was the 4th time in the last 6 games..that we've won..

yes Coward Football

Our offense plays scared of screwing up. We give teams the ball back with a chance to win because the team is too afraid of mistakes to try to put teams away. The 85 bears weren't the a good offensive team but they played to win. They tried to put teams away. We hand them the ball back and pray.

Our QB is more likely to throw the ball in the stands then try to make a play. Heaven forbid he throw it up for grabs and let our wide out make a play in single coverage, why risk it when we can toss it in the stands or check down for a 2 yard gain! Bawk Bawk!

The tuesday morning posts are going to be depressing with our current offensive plan. It really seems very little has changed from season 2004. Except it is already Dallas week. terry bradshaw said it right-lets get over this Ramsey/Brunell BS just put in J. Campbell now man,now.

yes Coward Football

Our offense plays scared of screwing up. We give teams the ball back with a chance to win because the team is too afraid of mistakes to try to put teams away. The 85 bears weren't the a good offensive team but they played to win. They tried to put teams away. We hand them the ball back and pray.

the 85 bears took 3-4 yrs to come together..you can't wait 2 games to

start being your hysterical-self

the 85 bears took 3-4 yrs to come together..you can't wait 2 games to start being your hysterical-self
I'm sorry but daring to point out the obvious, that we are seeing the same crap we saw last year, is far from being hysterical. In fact all I'm saying is that I want my team to do exactly what it did in the 1st Qtr, throw the damn ball and play like you got a pair.

Archived