Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the offense improved?

JimmiJo

Has the offense improved?

Our passing game increased it's "explosiveness" over last year shown in increases in over all yards and yards per attempt. But that's where the improvement ends. We had 4 less points, less yards per rush, less total yards rushing, 2 more turnovers, and NO touchdowns.

The offense has more potential this year but to be honest they've put up a much worse performance overall compared to last year against the same team. We got a little better in 3rd down effiency in terms of percentage....but you can't get too excited about improving from 6-18 to 6-16

Your post make absolutely no sense. The bears d line was decimated with injuries last year and Urlacher was hurt. Not to mention the fact the entire defense has had another year to gel after acquiring a lot of new players last year. We played a much better defense this year than we did last year and I think we'll see that week after week when other teams go against them.

We can't have it both ways - either the Bears are not very good, but Brunell was the guy who led all scoring and not PR, or - the Bears are very good, yet Brunell managed the win.

Look at it this way. You can take back EVERYTHING PR did today, and we still win.

It was a much more conservative playbook with MB, but Brunell completed 57% of passes compared to 55% and the biggest thing was - NO PICKS OR FUMBLES

Your post make absolutely no sense. The bears d line was decimated with injuries last year and Urlacher was hurt. Not to mention the fact the entire defense has had another year to gel after acquiring a lot of new players last year. We played a much better defense this year than we did last year and I think we'll see that week after week when other teams go against them.
I go by the numbers and you go by 'well um this guy was hurt' and I make no sense? Please dude, don't bring that crap here.

If our offense is better and the defense we faced is better then we should have at least done what we did last year. We didn't, we did less.

I go by the numbers and you go by "well um this guys was hurt" and I make no sense? Please dude, be a homer all you want but logic isn't on your side here amigo.

So you don't think the defense we played today was much better than the defense a year ago? Find that hard to believe. Wait a minute isn't this a Redskins site? I thought this site was put together for Homers. Isn't that what a fan site is for?

So you don't think the defense we played today was much better than the defense a year ago? Find that hard to believe. Wait a minute isn't this a Redskins site? I thought this site was put together for Homers. Isn't that what a fan site is for?
Try to follow along, you claim our offense improved and so did their defense....so then if BOTH UNITS WERE BETTER why then did we do so much worse? Do you know why? Because we didn't play better, at least not with Brunell in there.

When Ramsey left the passing threat left with him. In fact the last three Qtrs could have very well come from last years game....run run short pass repeat.

Try to follow along, you claim our offense improved and so did their defense....so then if BOTH UNITS WERE BETTER why then did we do so much worse? Do you know why? Because we didn't play better, at least not with Brunell in there.

When Ramsey left the passing threat left with him. In fact the last three Qtrs could have very well come from last years game....run run short pass repeat.

You are mistaken. Gibbs went very conservative after PR. Brunell completed a higher percentage of passes with no turnovers. You cannot blame him for the pick that wasn't, because it was obvious interference. He did not throw a pass for over an entire multiple-play drive.

Oh crap, the Cowgirls just scored.

A win's a win and a team who wins 19 games 2-0 is still the champ. That said, penalties and turnovers are still killing us. Second half kickoff, I said well at least we get the ball first. Look what happened. With our D and a quality running game, just play error free ball and we win alot of games. The fact that Sean Taylor lined up as a wide receiver in the red zone ought to say something about our lack of red zone weapons. And is it just me, or why is Antonio Brown on this team? Lot's of speed, no hands, and broke nothing on teams. The best KO return was Ladell Betts when Gibbs had enough of AB returning kicks. Let Betts continue returning kicks, let Thrash and occasionally Moss return punts, and ditch AB for...well I don't know, any ideas?

For all of you who agree with the above, please consider the following:

Points today with Brunell: 9

Points today with PR: 0

Gibbs went very conservative on play calling. The fact is Brunell has 1 win and PR has none.

OK. Either some of you didn't watch the game and really dont know, or maybe some of you think PR's number is 8, or you just hate PR, but Ramsey led us to 6 points while Brunell led us to 3 in the second half. Anyway, Ramsey is the man and I thought he looked great except for the interception which I chalk up to first game jitters, shucks, I had em' really bad. I had deja vu all over again watching MB throw passes at the receivers feet and the highly explosive dink and dunk offense. And no, Joe Gibbs did not say MB is the new starter, just "we'll see how PR feels", which makes me very happy. :silly: :dallasuck

I'll agree with you on that point 100% we aren't better with Bruisenell in there. But I saw things today that I didn't see last year, Portis getting big runs without a lot of carries and our receivers catching the ball down field.

OK. Either some of you didn't watch the game and really dont know, or maybe some of you think PR's number is 8, or you just hate PR, but Ramsey led us to 6 points while Brunell led us to 3 in the second half. Anyway, Ramsey is the man and I thought he looked great except for the interception which I chalk up to first game jitters, shucks, I had em' really bad. I had deja vu all over again watching MB throw passes at the receivers feet and the highly explosive dink and dunk offense. And no, Joe Gibbs did not say MB is the new starter, just "we'll see how PR feels", which makes me very happy. :silly: :dallasuck

please look at the stats, PR lead no scoring drives.

It is I believe, but not by much. We did nothing to put fear in anyone.

Baby steps, my man, baby steps. first they needed to hit some deep passes. They did that. Second, they needed to control the line of scrimmage. Check. Third, -for this game- they needed to run out the clock. Check that as well.

Now let's see some touchdowns.

And finally, Terry Bradshaw is one dumb fukin' hillbilly.

Why is eveyone so pesimistic about the offense.. We went against a very good bears front 7 and 8 and CONTROLLED the line of scrimmage. Also, one thing that I saw about the offense that we were lacking pretty much all last year was that this offense can move in chunks AND can make long drives. Last year we could only drive the ball, but lacked big plays. If we can just FINISH drives this teams in in for a great year. The offensive line was dominant today. Especially agaist the run. Pass Pro was good. The sack that Brunell had was because Betts stepped on his foot. So really I think you can only blame the offensive line for 1 sack and that was the ramsey decapitation.

QB play does have to improve tho. But with Brunell in there, it looks like the offense from last year. Ramsey was making some good throws to recievers. And altho he is more mistake prone than Brunell, Big plays seem to come when he is the starter. If Ramsey just learns when to throw the ball away or take off and run with the ball, we will be good. I think that is the only thing left for him to learn. Any thoughts?

Bottom line - 9 points shouldn't win anyone the starting role. period. If we are that desperate, then for the love of god start the rookie. If 9 points is the starter then we may as well treat the year as a "get him ready for next year" season because 9 points isn't going to win more then the rookie will.

Has the offense improved?

The offense has more potential this year but to be honest they've put up a much worse performance overall compared to last year against the same team. We got a little better in 3rd down effiency in terms of percentage....but you can't get too excited about improving from 6-18 to 6-16

I guess it's all in the way you want to look at it. They completed a higher percetange of passes, got the ball deep, and didn't commit a bunch of mind-numbing, stupid--drive killing--penalties. Plus you got to note that Brunell came in as the back up.

This game had a much better feel after the first drive. Last year's offense pissed me of in a lot more ways than just the scoreboard.

Bro, while you were looking at stats I was looking at the game. Apparently, you weren't, because i distinctly remember seeing two fieldgoals from two Ramsey drives. So keep, watching the stats cause I'll be watching the game. :doh:

Son, you must be smoking some new kind of weed. Ramsey led no scoring drives!

1-10-WAS35 (9:23) C.Portis right tackle to WAS 35 for no gain (A.Ogunleye).

2-10-WAS35 (8:46) M.Brunell pass incomplete to D.Patten.

3-10-WAS35 (8:43) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass intended for S.Moss INTERCEPTED by N.Vasher at CHI 27. N.Vasher to WAS 18 for 55 yards (C.Rabach).

PENALTY on CHI-M.Green, Defensive Pass Interference, 36 yards, enforced at WAS 35 - No Play.

1-10-CHI29 (8:27) M.Brunell pass incomplete to S.Moss.

2-10-CHI29 (8:21) C.Portis left end to CHI 22 for 7 yards (M.Brown).

3-3-CHI22 (7:44) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to C.Cooley (M.Brown).

4-3-CHI22 (7:39) J.Hall 40 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-E.Albright, Holder-A.Groom.

1-10-WAS28 (3:17) C.Portis left end ran ob at WAS 33 for 5 yards.

2-5-WAS33 (2:51) M.Brunell pass to D.Patten to WAS 40 for 7 yards (B.Urlacher).

1-10-WAS40 (2:12) C.Portis right tackle to WAS 48 for 8 yards (M.Brown).

2-2-WAS48 (2:00) M.Brunell pass to C.Cooley pushed ob at CHI 29 for 23 yards (C.Harris).

1-10-CHI29 (1:53) C.Portis right guard to CHI 25 for 4 yards (C.Tillman).

2-6-CHI25 (1:20) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to S.Moss.

3-6-CHI25 (1:12) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to S.Moss.

4-6-CHI25 (1:05) J.Hall 43 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-E.Albright, Holder-A.Groom.

1-10-WAS36 (11:23) M.Brunell pass to D.Patten to WAS 37 for 1 yard (C.Tillman).

2-9-WAS37 (10:49) M.Brunell pass to J.Thrash to WAS 41 for 4 yards (C.Tillman).

3-5-WAS41 (10:09) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to J.Thrash to WAS 48 for 7 yards (N.Vasher).

1-10-WAS48 (9:28) M.Brunell pass incomplete to R.Royal.

2-10-WAS48 (9:23) C.Portis left guard to CHI 43 for 9 yards (M.Brown).

3-1-CHI43 (8:48) M.Brunell up the middle to CHI 43 for no gain (T.Harris; L.Briggs). QB sneak

4-1-CHI43 (8:24) M.Brunell left guard to CHI 42 for 1 yard (M.Haynes). QB sneak

1-10-CHI42 (7:45) C.Portis left guard to CHI 30 for 12 yards (C.Tillman). FUMBLES (C.Tillman), and recovers at CHI 30. C.Portis to CHI 30 for no gain (C.Tillman).

1-10-CHI30 (7:04) L.Betts left guard to CHI 20 for 10 yards (M.Haynes; To.Johnson).

1-10-CHI20 (6:22) L.Betts right guard to CHI 19 for 1 yard (To.Johnson).

2-9-CHI19 (5:47) M.Brunell pass to R.Royal to CHI 8 for 11 yards (M.Brown).

1-8-CHI8 (5:06) C.Portis right guard to CHI 5 for 3 yards (To.Johnson, I.Scott).

2-5-CHI5 (4:26) C.Portis right guard to CHI 3 for 2 yards (A.Ogunleye).

3-3-CHI3 (3:44) M.Brunell pass to C.Cooley to CHI 1 for 2 yards (To.Johnson).

4-1-CHI1 (2:57) J.Hall 19 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-E.Albright, Holder-A.Groom.

Now tell me what the F you are speaking of.

The offense has shown signs of major improvement. Some people need to see big numbers on the scoreboard to recognize it though.

This was week one and we already had a play that would have been our longest passing play next year.

Gibbs did this last year against the Bucs... he knew the defense would hold and went conservative in the 4th quarter.

I vote to get that WR 1 yard hitch pass out of the playbook. It seems like it's mandatory for us to use that play 2-3 times a game, and it gets 2-3 yards a clip. Almost more harm can be done on that kind of play. A tip ball by a DE or gasp, pick 6 going the other way.

We'll see against your cowgirls next week how much we've improved. I guess you would say that your pickup of Drew and his wheelchair makes dallas so much better. Chicago has a hell of a defense and we played solid ball. One fumble and an obvious missed roughing the passer call and the game would have been a hell of a lot different.

Hmm. Now that Drew and his wheelchair just had a monster game, still feel as confident? :cheers:

I think Ramsey performed pretty well. Brunell didn't lose it for us.

Not sure I agree on the whole "roughing" call...I thought it was just hard nosed football.

He didn't grab hos face mask or use a horse collar from behind...

Is there a rule prohibiting that play?

Seriously...if there is I never heard about it.

Archived