Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the offense improved?

JimmiJo

Bottom line for me: if we cant get a more stable QB situation, we wont be better than a .500 team.

Running looks a bit better

Passing- I think we have a bit better receiving core but QB????

Defense- exceptional, as last year... thank god

Special teams- seemed better with return coverage. Hopefully Groom will grow into the role. But if we play revoling kicker.. ouch..

The best model I can come up with for us to be successful is the Ravens superbowl run. Our defense is good, but not as dominant. Our offense is probably better. Our special teams, esp if Hall is out, is worse... The model will not hold up for us unless we get a lot more consistent on offense.

The Dallas game will tell us a lot about this season. I wish I could be more optimistic... but... GO SKINS

Bottom line for me: if we cant get a more stable QB situation, we wont be better than a .500 team.

Running looks a bit better

Passing- I think we have a bit better receiving core but QB????

Defense- exceptional, as last year... thank god

Special teams- seemed better with return coverage. Hopefully Groom will grow into the role. But if we play revoling kicker.. ouch..

The best model I can come up with for us to be successful is the Ravens superbowl run. Our defense is good, but not as dominant. Our offense is probably better. Our special teams, esp if Hall is out, is worse... The model will not hold up for us unless we get a lot more consistent on offense.

The Dallas game will tell us a lot about this season. I wish I could be more optimistic... but... GO SKINS

Good observations.

I think Ramsey performed pretty well. Brunell didn't lose it for us.

Not sure I agree on the whole "roughing" call...I thought it was just hard nosed football.

He didn't grab hos face mask or use a horse collar from behind...

Is there a rule prohibiting that play?

Seriously...if there is I never heard about it.

Are you talking about the Ramsey hit??? If so, yes, clotheslines are illegal in the NFL.

I too think the O played pretty well. Ramsey ALWAYS starts poorly and settles in. Had he played the entire game I think we would have scored more points. I think with 4 or 5 games under his belt this year he will become a solid QB. He just needs the time.

The offensive schemes are definately much better and will net some wins once the QB play levels out.

This game failed to give enough information about the improvement question. Ramsey looked good before he got ragdolled ... when he had time and after he got over the butterflies, his passes had zip and accuracy. But he still held the ball too long and is not quick enough either mentally or physically to give Gibbs confidence. My projection is that Brunell will start against the boys ... but it won't matter ... Gibbs rarely beats Parcells, especially in TUNA'S own building, no matter who is at QB. PR will probbaly be back for the Seahawks game ... but look for JC to take over the team at mid-season and begin his process a la Leftwhich with the Jags last year. In 2006, with JC at QB, the Skins will be drastically improved.

We don't really know yet if the Bears defense is good or just average. I tend to think they have a good defense. If they do then I say yes our offense is improved over last season. We had a passing game that included some fairly long passes that did stretch the field. Our running game was effective. Not too many 3 plays and out; but showed some consistancy in moving the ball. So, I voted that we are improved.

The whole thing boils down to execution. If we start executing, you'll see an improvement in our offense.

We saw a big improvement in eliminating penalties yesterday. When we correct

the little things, the offense will take care of itself.

Week 1 is usually not the best game to judge how good or bad a team is. A couple of years ago New England got pasted by Buffalo on opening day, something like 38-0. I believe they won the SB that year. With new recievers and the starting QB being knocked out we're fortunate we even won. I saw lots of good things.

-Deeper throws to Moss and Cooley.

-Great running from the backs, especially in the 2nd half (Betts is going to be huge for us).

-Taking care of the ball while holding the lead.

-Solid but not spectacular defense (not many sacks or turnovers, or td's scored). There should be even more room for improvement with this unit.

-And, most impressively, from what I saw it looked like the crowd single-handedly backed up the Bears about 20 yards in the 3rd quarter when they were driving. They ended up on the other side of the 50 yd line. Getting the crowd into games at home can be a huge game changing factor.

When I look at each part of the offense 9the line, rbs, qbs, and wrs), each looks better then last year. But, we sstill turn the ball over too much, and we are dredful in the red zone. I think we are close to having a much improved offense, its just putting together the pieces. Once we put it together, and have a couple of good offensive games in a row, the confidence will grow and we will start being a scary team.

My vote is improved

Looking at the drive chart, we are looking much better than the score might suggest.

Check this out! We did not have a single 3 and out!!

We had a total of 8 drives + 1 possession fumbled by AB + 1 end of half possession w/ 1 play.

Out of those 8 drives:

3 Field Goals (drives of 43, 47, 63 yards)

3 Punts (after driving 26, 35, 38 yards)

1 Fumble (after a 70 yard drive)

1 Interception (after driving 23 yards)

Other stats comparison:

2004 1st downs per game: 16.8

Bears game: 18

2004 YPG 274.8

Bears game: 323

2004 Yars per play 4.3

Bears game 4.8

All this against a good D while getting the starting QB injured? Not bad at all. Definitely an improvement over last year. We'd have some touchdowns too, if not for the freaky stuff.

Check this out, i compared stats from last years home opener to this one, they are insanely similar....

Against Bucs Against Bears:

Passing-125 Rushing-166

Passing-159 Rushing-164

M. Brunell 13/24 125 5.2 0 td 0 int

P. Ramsey 6/11 105yrd 9.5avg 0td 1int

M. Brunell 8/14 70yrd 5.0avg 0td 0int

Brunell had 54% passing in both games and his avg is around 5.

C. Portis 29car 148yrd 5.1avg 1td

L. Betts 5car 17yrd 3.4avg 0td

C. Portis 21car 121yrd 5.8avg 0td

L. Betts 12car 41yrd 3.4avg 0td

3rd down efficiency 6-17

3rd down efficiency 6-16

Points - 16

Points - 9

One less PI call this year and 16 is where we would be.

Turnovers - 1

Turnvers - 3

Right now, the offense has not changed.

Some first down play-action passes should be in the game plan. And, how about a boot-leg or some other miss direction when everyone in the statium knows Portis is comming up the middle.

That being said, special teams are not helping the offense at all. Stop the penalties and the bone-head plays.

Santana moss looked pretty good.

I have sunday ticket, so I watched the whole game. Regardless, I don't think your team has improved on offense nearly as much as some people on this board, with all the 20+ point predictions from around here.

Maybe a little though.

so why weren't you tuned into the bengals..and why are you in my

parkingspace? :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Archived