Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we go after Bledsoe now?

KevinthePRF

With Marty as coach, I can see us going for a Trent Dilfer type QB to work in his offense. But this won't work in Spurrier's offense.

I'm leading torward wanting the Skins to trade our first and some other picks/players for Bledsoe, now that the coaching change is all but done.

Only for the right price,

Face it, Williams and Ripkens worked in Gibbs offense and they were no better than Dilfer. Most of the QB's at Florida could not even throw Ditka a break yet they suceeded for Spurrier. I think Dilfer would come at a decent price and do just fine. Go DT in the first. Wide receiver in the second. Guard in the fourth.

Guest fuji869

What I have been hearing in the local Seattle media with Dilfer is, Holmgrin might bring him back next season to challenge for the starting position, he likes what he as seen in him and realizes that Hasselbac might not be the answer. Dilfer did do a good job in relief for the Hawks this year.

I say go after Bledsoe, the guy is about 29 or 30 and still has some football left in him. deal.gif

Bledsoe's price tag IS a problem, but his contract for number of years can be just two. Working with Spurrier would make his toes curl and having a Gardner and Stephen Davis to work with, and yes maybe even Westbrook would suit him just fine. In Westbrook's regard, expect Spurrier to maybe even keep Thompson and give him a long look in workouts, ethics, and mental aspects of routes, etc. If Thompson is a fit, then the arsenal get's a lift, without even digging into FA so hard.

Bledsoe is a pocket passer, has height and vision. Spurrier could easily eliminate his chinks that he notices and put Bledsoe in the best possible chance at winning. What Spurrier will do for the future, is keep an eye on Grossman, just in case, even though he knows at the pro level, you can't put all your eggs in one basket. This aint' Florida and recruiting hommies and all won't cut it.

He'll have an enterouge of scouts and assistants to do the leg work for the most part and a GM, who will be much more relentless in evaluation of WHO fits the system.

Bledsoe must meet that critirea, before a GM would even consider him, let alone get the contract right. Bledsoe has had some ailments, which could lead to be skipped, but for getting an offense going and ability in the clutch, he is value. I feel a need for the new GM to look elsewhere as well, though Holgrem has a capable one in Seattle that he might keep. Blake may get a call.

At this stage I can't say Bledsoe thrills me at the presumed cost in draft picks, but, hell, we surrendered a first, second and third for Johnson and you'd have to think Bledsoe is the better bargain. If you look at the draft you see that there really just aren't teams who are QB needy ahead of us. Someone could jump us, but, if we sit tight, we'll get a nice QB at that pick and with Spurrier here I no longer think defensive line is going to be the prevailing thought smile.gif.

With Marty here a defensive lineman made the most sense because the defense was on the verge of being a very special unit and no players were going to make the offense such. But, with Spurrier, it's going to be somewhat of a focus on offense I would think. The question is, would you rather have Carr or Harrington -- at least one could realistically fall, though I'm not placing odds -- or Bledsoe?

My sole concern with Bledsoe is in how he'll take on hits in the future. He's certainly a talented guy.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Art, your point about not ignoring the needs on the defensive line is exactly why this team needs to make Big Step #2 and hire a legitimate GM who can look this team over and present a macro level view.

While Spurrier will get his say with the #1 pick in his first year, it is also clear from teams such as the Ravens that you can get defensive line help without having to use a top 5 draft choice.

Consider: Siragusa, Adams, McCrary, Burnett. Backups Webster and Thomas.

How many of these guys were drafted #1 or #2 by the Ravens?

ZERO. All free agents or middle round picks in the case of the latter two.

Bulldog, it's not that I disagree with your statement about being able to land defensive linemen of some quality later in the draft, but, honestly, that holds for most positions. Where were Warner and Garcia drafted? Brooks? Favre? Gannon (and he may have been a first rounder, but, he just doesn't seem like one so I'm taking a guess he wasn't)? I would hope our needs along the defensive front won't be ignored whether early or late in the draft. Just so long as it works out I'll be happy smile.gif.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

The reason I brought up Bledsoe is I would rather not put the burden of the postion on an early round rookie this coming season. I still see this season as one to retool, not to rebuild even with another massive coaching turnover. So I see Carr, Harrington, or anyone else that may slip into that pick/picture moot because then we would have to get a journeyman vet anyway, ie my Trent Dilferesque reference.

If we are going to have a down the field passing attack, then the best quarterback available is Drew Bledsoe. The guy, before taking a drilling by defences through the worst O-lines in the game was one of the top 3 or 4 young talents in the game. His strengths are supportive of an open passing game, and his major weakness (lack of mobility) is offset by the quality of the Redskins offensive line.

Yes, there are questions about his durability, but the positives outweight the questions. At any rate, he's got a lot fewer questions about him that would any rookie, and has the advantage of being in the same stage of his lifecycle as the rest of the team.

The only way you go another direction is if you decide to embark on a rebuilding project, and if Spurrier wanted to do that he would have gone to Carolina.

------------------

I say we draft David Carr with the 18th pick. Spurrier will mold him into a top flight NFL QB. I don't think you need a great passer to be sucessful in Spurrier's offense. It's the system, not the player. Look at the QB's during the Gibb's era. Not the greatest group to say the least. I see the same thing in our future.

Is anybody REALLY happy with the prospects that would be available when we pick in the 1st round this year? The more I look at this draft, the more I think dealing our 1st rounder might not be a bad idea. If Bledsoe could be had for a 1st and a future 2nd, I'd go that high to deal for him to run Spurrier's offense.

bulldog......man you nail em!.......i think also that we have to wait and see how the GM influences selection. what with all the underclassmen declaring, this draft could produce gems into the 3rd round.

as for Bledsoe....here's another scenario: davis does not fit the spurrier system such as we know it. it is not at all unreasonable to trade davis for bledsoe from this point-of-view. man, that would really make it difficult to figure how this team is going to go over the next few years. plus, it assumes that kijana stays as your steady back.

regardless, there will be a lot of needs:

- speedster wide receiver

- another guard (possibly 2 if szott hangs it up)

- a DT

- one possibly 2 DEs

- a safety (this moves down the priority list)

note: spurrier coaching suddenly increases the value of alexander. not sure of implications for westy.

press reports have it that spurrier is scouring the college ranks for assistant coaches - this is one reason we need a GM fast cuz i don't think that bodes well for the defense. man it's going to be fun around here, but i suspect next year is not going to be pretty.

------------------

looking through a glass onion

I am worried about Bledsoe's excessive contract, giving up draft picks for him (how many can we lose?), and his lack of mobility.

We play agaisnt some great defenses in our division: Eagles, Gmen and Cowboys.

There may be other, cheaper QBs available that Spurrier could develop (Blake, Akili Smith?) but we HAVE to draft some quality D-linemen now. We need the draft picks.

If you can't stop the run in this league, it doesn't matter what kind of genius is doing the offensive play calling (remember Norv?).

Just my two cents.

Errrrrr wrong!!!

The best available QB for deep throwing who wont' cost us picks or a huge contract to deal with and doesnt really have injury issues is ........JEFF GEORGE!!

Danny's Boy.

A perfect fit he can throw lasers down the field,he is a throw long think dink and dunk later kinda guy,Westy loves him and we can groom a younging behind him.

------------------

This isn't love, it's an

Obsession.

Redskins football

Archived