Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Season opening shutout?

SkinsHokieFan

Hmm...I too think Kyle Orton was underestimated---coming into the draft. He should have been higher than a 4th rounder. However, he is not being underestimated as an NFL QB. When this game begins, he will have seen exactly 0 snaps in a real NFL game (this of course assumes that he starts, which I find unlikely) and will be absolutely confounded by Gregg and the 'Skins defense. I fear that GW will probably throw a bit more complex scheme at ol' Kyle than some of the vanilla defenses he's had the luxury of facing thus far, and the #1 defense in the NFC will probably put up a slightly tougher fight than the Sisters of the Poor he's been shredding this preseason. Putting him out there would be tantamount to simply throwing him into a den of lions: You can get out alive, but only if you're amazingly special. And unless I've severely underestimated Orton (and I haven't), he's not quite what I'd call amazingly special. Additionally, I realize your Tulane comment was merely a jab at 'Skins fans, Thorny, but I fear it was dreadfully off-base. Many scouts would have viewed Losman as the consensus #1 pick in the draft this year, had he been thrown into the mix with Smith and Rodgers. Quarterbacks, I should add, viewed as worlds ahead of Kyle Orton.

Now on to the unfortunate topic of our schedule. I'm not big into predicting game results before I see the teams on the field, but it would take a miracle for us to go into Denver (Mile High) and KC (Arrowhead) and emerge with victories in consecutive weeks. Those are tough teams, and even tougher venues to play in. All the same, 6-10 is low-balling us. I say somewhere between 8-8 and 11-5. Probably 9-7, but who can say for sure? Not I...

I was just reviewing our schedule, and, I really think we can start the season 3-0, but i expanded it a bit, and there's really no reason why this team can't start 7-0. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? But none of the first 7 teams we play are anything special, if our D stays more or less the same, and our offense exhibits a competent level of play, we can win every one of those games. We can only hope!

This seasons schedule starts out a lot tougher than last years. I felt the same way last year and the truth is that we were close in all of the first 7 or 8 games even with Brunell starting. We should have beaten the Ravens, Browns, Giants and Cowboys at least but it didn't turn out that way.

Don't underestimate Kyle Orton.

Also, Thomas Jones will do just fine. And Muhammad will be a player for the undertalented Bears.

I think you'll win the game, but you won't shut them out. 17-10 Skins. :cheers:

Don't underestimate Greg Williams :D

If we can score 21-24pts a game, we'll win more than we loose!!

I don't give a **** about a shutout. I just want to win the game and get our players out of it healthy. Then we have Dallas where I hope we play our best game and kill those MFs. :mad:

Agreed, let's just get out of there with a win and no injuries. I don't care if it's 7-6, the Skins need to get off on the right foot this year... especially against an inferior Bears team, with QB issues, AT HOME!

There will probably be a turnover by the Redskins offense that will give the Bears a short enough field to score on, however I think this is probably a win for the Redskins.

Well Mr. fan from N.Y. we can't argue with you there. We turned the ball over a lot last year and mostly at critical times. Fumbles for TD's and interceptions for TD's.

And if you watched our 3 turnovers last week we are still giving away games. Yes you could be right the Redskins charity could continue as we give them away.

But if that doesn't happen and the Redskins hold on to the ball, then the league will see some serious football coming out of Washington.

Greg Blache made some comments in the press about how he's not at all happy with our defenseive line right now. I believe it was meant to be motivational but I must admit I haven't been comfortable with the way they've looked so far. I hope it's just preseason jive, intended to get them psyched.

I say we'll beat Chicago, but we may not be up to snuff early, so we better get serious for week 2.... in Dallas.

Archived